Dream EU casting

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Teankun1
Redshirt

Dream EU casting

Post by Teankun1 »

All right, folks, by now most of you should know (if not all) that more Star Wars movies are coming soon. With Fisher, Ford, Hamill, and Williams anxious to due Star Wars again, it may be safe to say that that the setting will be when their respective characters are alive, albeit considerably older. Some of you may have even heard that Disney will follow the Avengers model and produce multiple side story movies (possibly focusing on other characters) as well as Episode VII+.

In any case, it is a very good possibility that many of the large cornucopia of characters from the expanded universe could make their big screen debut.

So the big question of the thread is what actor/actress would you like to play what EU characters.

So, to get things moving, usually when I read about Corran Horn, I visualize Charlie Sheen (this was long before his recent shenanigans). Also, I visualize Anakin Solo as Jake Lloyd (although he won't do it).

What about you?
Havok
Miscreant

Re: Dream EU casting

Post by Havok »

Hahahahahhahaha.

Man.

The idea that any proper movie director is going to tap existing EU characters is pretty fucking silly. Unless the creators of said EU characters get involved with the movies themselves, it is more than likely never going to happen outside of maybe a quick alien species cameo.

You did title the topic correctly by using "Dream" but then you went and made like it would actually happen.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I think you're wrong, Hav. I can see them taking the name 'Corran Horn' and the +5 fat people it gives and then just doing whatever they want with that character. It isn't too unusual with licenced stuff where individual characters have no value to the broad audience - because the obsessives will love the 'shout out' and nobody else will even notice.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Havok wrote:Hahahahahhahaha.

Man.

The idea that any proper movie director is going to tap existing EU characters is pretty fucking silly. Unless the creators of said EU characters get involved with the movies themselves, it is more than likely never going to happen outside of maybe a quick alien species cameo.

You did title the topic correctly by using "Dream" but then you went and made like it would actually happen.
Its probably not up to the director, but the writers and producers. Though if it was up to the director, it might happen because Abrams is a Star Wars fan and may be familiar with the EU.

I think it would be good if they borrow some of the better EU characters. And refusing to include anything from the EU would be limiting the filmmakers' creativity.

Though I'd also be fine with not including anything from the EU.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

It doesn't limit shit. If anything it makes them less creative.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The idea that they'd 'refuse' is a sad reflection of nerd reality. They won't 'refuse' - they just 'wont fucking care'. They'll use what they want and ignore what they don't.

The idea that it's some kind of WAR AGAINST EU when its more like complete ignorance is crazy.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Havok wrote:It doesn't limit shit. If anything it makes them less creative.
Its less creative because its doing something that's been done before, but its kind of too late to avoid that when they're making a Star Wars film, and I don't think taking stuff from the EU is much less creative than taking stuff from the films. And I think it would be quite restrictive to refuse to use anything from the EU, even if it was something good and would fit with what they're writing.

This is obviously a case of you having an ax to grind.

And as for the opinions of the troll:

Despite your nitpicking about the wording I used, I do not think there is a war against the EU. And given that Star Wars employs at least some of the people it did before and that Abrams is a Star Wars fan, I wouldn't assume they are ignorant of the EU. And I hope Disney isn't ignorant of what they paid to own.

And if you argue about this sort of thing on a site called Star Destroyer.net, you are a nerd, and its hypocritical of you to attack others for being nerds.

Go fuck yourself Stark. I hope you get yourself banned (the sooner the better).
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Can you explain how not caring either way (ie, not 'respecting' the EU or whatever) actually limits creativity, in the sense of reducing the number of possible stories that can be told? Ignoring the EU doesn't mean they're trying to avoid doing whats been done before. It doesn't even mean they won't use the characters - they are just under no obligation to use them in a way consistent with the EU.

That means, for the crybabies, that they get more story options, not less.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

It sounds like you actually agree with me.

I don't care. I even said that I'd be fine with them not including anything from the EU.

And I don't think they should respect it, especially if that means imitating it. I just don't think they should reject the possibility of using parts of it the way Havok is suggesting.

I'd fucking love it if they used EU characters in new ways.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Yeah, its almost as if you stop whining for twenty seconds you can interact with ideas instead of knee-jerking.

It's pretty simple. If you have potential stories, one 'consistent' with the EU and one 'inconsistent', its easy to see why not giving two shits either way gives the most freedom. If you love the EU and all its branded vomit, you can only write one of them. If you HATES IT PRECIOUS and are AT WAR WITH NERDS you can only write one. If you just don't give a fuck, you can write either.

This is why when people talk about RESPECTING THE SOURCE MATERIAL and LOVING THE NOVELS and crap like that, its a) a giant lie to sucker brandslaves or b) bad news creatively.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Regarding the actual topic of the thread, here's my first suggestion:

Ann Hathaway as Mara Jade. Other than not being a red head (which can be dealt with using dye, a wig, or CGI), she looks a bit like how I picture Mara Jade, and her performances in The Dark Knight Rises and Les Miserables have convinced me that she could probably play this part pretty well.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

:lol: I have no axe to grind. The EU sucks. The EU is essentially dead creatively not just on it's own anymore, but now because there are going to be movies on a consistent basis.

As to my point, any director/writer worth his salt isn't going to tap Coran Horn or whoever, they will make a new character that serves whatever purpose they need. Like I said, they probably will get some EU stuff in there, but it is going to be cantina scene cameo stuff, like a Chiss or whatever in the background.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

"I have no axe to grind. The EU sucks." isn't convincing me.

There are parts of the EU I dislike, and I'd like it if they come up with original ideas, but if they happen to write a character who's similar to one from the EU, why not use the same name? And why not take some of the better ideas from the EU, few though they may be?

Some other ideas for casting:

-Hugh Jackman as Talon Kardde. I'm not sure about this one.
-Andy Serkis as any CGI alien.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Havok wrote::lol: I have no axe to grind. The EU sucks. The EU is essentially dead creatively not just on it's own anymore, but now because there are going to be movies on a consistent basis.
Dude, you routinely jump into threads to announce how much the EU sucks. It's really damned regular habit for you. I love the EU and I don't like the prequels, but I don't constantly preface my posts by declaring how much better it is than the movies.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

That'd be the part where even for the less then stellar prequel trilogy, for the most part, you would be mistaken. There's parts of the EU I love too (TTT, Hand of Thrawn duology, Wraith Squadron, the original Han/Lando trilogies) but the vast majority of it I know (and I gave up about two thirds through the YV idiocy) sucked donkey balls. So you're either lying, have selective memory, selective exposure to the EU, or are just plain stupid.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Batman wrote:That'd be the part where even for the less then stellar prequel trilogy, for the most part, you would be mistaken. There's parts of the EU I love too (TTT, Hand of Thrawn duology, Wraith Squadron, the original Han/Lando trilogies) but the vast majority of it I know (and I gave up about two thirds through the YV idiocy) sucked donkey balls. So you're either lying, have selective memory, selective exposure to the EU, or are just plain stupid.
Bear in mind that I got into Star Wars through the EU. I'm fairly sure I read the "Return of the Jedi" novelization and possibly the second Thrawn book before I saw the actual movies, and if anything I like the EU as a whole more than the actual movies in general.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Stark wrote:Its almost as if your expectations were conditioned by your experience, isn't it? :LOL:
Quite possibly, but that doesn't make Darksaber any less awesome.
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Ralin wrote:
Stark wrote:Its almost as if your expectations were conditioned by your experience, isn't it? :LOL:
Quite possibly, but that doesn't make Darksaber any less awesome.
I was agreeing with you until you said you liked Darksaber. 8) Again, to each his/her own.

But yeah, look, there's a lot of Star wars, and different people like different parts of it. There are OT only purists, EU fans, people who like the PT, or the Clone Wars show.

There's nothing wrong with a hypothetical thread discussing who might be cast in a Star Wars VII if they use much loved EU characters. It's supposed to be fun, remember, fun, that thing that made us like the universe in the first place? Live and let live, dudes.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Romulan Republic wrote:"I have no axe to grind. The EU sucks." isn't convincing me.
Oh no! What am I going to do?! :lol:

You aren't understanding what I am saying.
The EU sucks. That is practically an objective fact at this point. It is dead. I have no axe to grind because it is ground all the way to the hilt. What I want has happened. The EU is going to be either ignored or just shut down in it's current form. There will still be an EU, but it is now going to be the ancillary movies. Fans aren't going to want to read about old tired EU creations they are going to want to read about the new movie characters. Along with that the new creators aren't going to give a crap about the old EU any more than the team that makes the Clone Wars cartoons do. It will now actually expand on the movies, something it never really did, and hopefully will make some sort of sense from now on.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

with respect hav, that only started in 05. There was shit but by and large it was a mixed bag (some were ok, some sucked donkey balls, a rare few were genuinely compelling.)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Seriously what stories were genuinely compelling?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'd argue that the Thrawn stuff is seriously good. That being the Thrawn trilogy, the prequel Outbound Flight and the proper EU conclusion, Hand of Thrawn. There's serious shit in the EU, but he's a good one to go to for compelling stuff.

Shadows of the Empire is fun. It's not good, but it's fun.

There's also the 'non-fiction' stuff, like the Jedi Path, which is a fun read as well as it's sequel, the Book of Sith. Those are reference books though, so probably not relevant.

So there's stuff in the EU that I would consider good, if not compelling. But that's the gems in the desert of mediocre to crap.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

To be OT, I would cast Garrett Hedlund as one of the Skywalker or Solo children, he's done it before in the Tron series, and looks about right for the descendant of Luke.

As for Thrawn, since everybody loves him, I would try for Jeremy Irons, as long as he isn't doing that Dungeons and Dragons style performance.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Are you sure Jeremy Irons isn't too old to play Thrawn?