MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

So, which large promotion is dead by Dec 31?

Strikeforce
33%
Bellator
5%
Dream
19%
Sengoku
5%
K-1
No votes
UFC (joke option)
38%

Total votes: 21

Zadius
Jedi Knight

Re: MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

Post by Zadius »

I didn't mind Chael as a late replacement when Hendo got hurt. That was fine; you put together whatever you can on short notice. But having him coach TUF and get an immediate title shot at 205? Just no. I understand it's because their shows are hurting in the ratings, but still.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Zadius wrote:I didn't mind Chael as a late replacement when Hendo got hurt. That was fine; you put together whatever you can on short notice. But having him coach TUF and get an immediate title shot at 205? Just no. I understand it's because their shows are hurting in the ratings, but still.
I don't know how common my opinion for why not to watch TUF is, but here goes: for me, TUF is not compelling television because out of all these seasons, to my knowledge only three TUF alumni have ever won a championship, one of them was Matt Serra (the Comeback season) and one of them won it from another (Rashad Evans's TKO of Forrest Griffin)... meaning that literally only two TUF alumni have won the belt from a non-TUF alumni, none of them were contestants of seasons 5+ (Griffin 1st, Evans 2nd, Serra 4th?) and none of them successfully defended the championship.

To me, TUF is not a show about future champions in the making but rather promoting a fight that I may or may not want to see, so what's supposed to be so compelling about these guys when the UFC seems to prefer to sign future-championship prospects and throw them straight onto cards?
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

Edward Yee wrote:
Zadius wrote:I didn't mind Chael as a late replacement when Hendo got hurt. That was fine; you put together whatever you can on short notice. But having him coach TUF and get an immediate title shot at 205? Just no. I understand it's because their shows are hurting in the ratings, but still.
I don't know how common my opinion for why not to watch TUF is, but here goes: for me, TUF is not compelling television because out of all these seasons, to my knowledge only three TUF alumni have ever won a championship, one of them was Matt Serra (the Comeback season) and one of them won it from another (Rashad Evans's TKO of Forrest Griffin)... meaning that literally only two TUF alumni have won the belt from a non-TUF alumni, none of them were contestants of seasons 5+ (Griffin 1st, Evans 2nd, Serra 4th?) and none of them successfully defended the championship.

To me, TUF is not a show about future champions in the making but rather promoting a fight that I may or may not want to see, so what's supposed to be so compelling about these guys when the UFC seems to prefer to sign future-championship prospects and throw them straight onto cards?
I have the same issue and its why I (and most of my friends who watch MMA) do not watch the show. Any self respecting fighter these days comes up through the smaller promotions. TUF is nothing but can's fighting can's, and even the winners are rarely even middle of the pack fighters once they're in the UFC. Its not relevant to the sport and its not even good TV, so why watch it?
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Jeff Blatnick passed away today. He was one of the early commentators of the sport, and isa the man credited with giving the sport the name Mixed Martial Arts. He is my favorite commentator in the sport's history. Yes, he made some erroneous calls early on, such as claiming that Dan Severn was in no trouble as Royce was locking in a triangle joke because he thought the fact that Dan had an arm in would protect his neck. But he was a humble man and learned, along with everyone else, the complexity of the sport. He made no bones about the fact that he was learning as he went along. Not long later, he had become one of the most knowledgeable commentators out there. He went on to become one of the best judges in the sport as well. He's under appreciated because he didn't have the charisma of Bas or Rogan, but his love of the sport always came through in his commentary. I always lamented the fact that he was pushed aside when Zuffa took over.

He will me missed. :cry:
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Stephan Bonnar pops positive for steroids. Again. Not that it matters since he got his ass kicked into retirement, what are they going to do, suspend him? Dave Herman also flunked the drug test, he pulled a Diaz and got nailed for marijuana. I guess I shouldn't be suprised that UFC fighters keep doing PEDs and getting nailed in drug tests, what's the worst that happens, a 6-9 month suspension? Darn. Half the fighters are going 6 months between fights anyway so it's not like they're missing a payday. They need to get serious with their drug policies. And while they're at it, Pride rules. I want knees to downed fighters and soccer kicks damnit!
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Even if there's no soccer kicks, then fucking knees to downed opponent would be great.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Man, fuck these boring Greg Jackson fighters.

That guy is a sport killer.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Yeah, those Greg Jackson fighters only have more fight of the night and other bonus awards than everyone else.

Also. Really? I mean, really? Seriously, what the fuck was that?
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

We lost the feed in Australia for that fight. The reactions on twitter told me all I needed to know.

Turns out no one know how the fucking rules of MMA work.

Because we're a real sport dontchaknow?
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Well at least he didn't break out the soccer kicks
Pride Rules!
Oh wait, my bad, I'm in the WEC

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Hallelujah! A Diaz brother got his ass kicked for 5 rounds. Can I get an amen?

Wasn't even close, Bendo is a lot smarter than people give him credit for and he just kicked the shit out of Nate's leg then used his wrestling to control the fight. Clinch or stay at kicking range and keep away from the fence, and Diaz can't use his boxing. And with his speed and explosive power it's going to be nearly impossible to sub Bendo. Same thing will happen if GSP ever fights Nick Diaz, except it'll be even more one sided.

And BJ Penn gets his ass beaten back into retirement by Rory Mac. The kid is a animal and he has that psycho look that scares the shit out of me. Smart too, looks like he studied the BJ/Diaz fight and realized that going to the body is the thing to do since it kills what little cardio BJ has and hurts him good. It was that close to a TKO by body shots in the 2nd, that would've been awesome and had Bas Rutten going nuts.

Speaking of retirement, Shogun needs to get fucking serious with his training or call it a day. He's good for a couple rounds then he completely runs out of gas and gets tooled. It's just painful to watch him gas and then wing desperation KO punches. On the bright side, Gustufsson looked pretty solid, give him another fight or 2 and put him in against Jones if he wins.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

... and now it is JDS who got five rounds of "eating it", new heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

aerius wrote:And BJ Penn gets his ass beaten back into retirement by Rory Mac. The kid is a animal and he has that psycho look that scares the shit out of me. Smart too, looks like he studied the BJ/Diaz fight and realized that going to the body is the thing to do since it kills what little cardio BJ has and hurts him good. It was that close to a TKO by body shots in the 2nd, that would've been awesome and had Bas Rutten going nuts.
The first fight I saw of Rory's was the one against Che Mills (and he destroyed him) and I was blown away, he's not GSPesque in his fighting style, but he does appear to be GSPesque in his approach to the sport. It will be interesting to see how long Firas Zahabi can keep him and GSP apart...
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

And now Strikeforce is officially dead.

And Ronda Rousey is officially a crazy. Posting Sandy Hook Truther videos on her twitter. Can't wait to see how that get's ignored.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Edward Yee wrote:... and now it is JDS who got five rounds of "eating it", new heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.
Can you believe that this is the first time a heavyweight fight has gone 5 rounds since Tim Sylvia was the champ?
Crown wrote:The first fight I saw of Rory's was the one against Che Mills (and he destroyed him) and I was blown away, he's not GSPesque in his fighting style, but he does appear to be GSPesque in his approach to the sport. It will be interesting to see how long Firas Zahabi can keep him and GSP apart...
Unofficial word from the camp is that one of them will move up to middleweight so they don't fight each other.
weemadando wrote:And Ronda Rousey is officially a crazy. Posting Sandy Hook Truther videos on her twitter. Can't wait to see how that get's ignored.
She hangs out with the Diaz brothers, what the hell do you expect? She's either loony or high as a kite, probably both.

And most importantly, Michael Bisping got himself another TKO loss. And there was much rejoicing. My only wish is that the ref should've let Belfort take another 20 shots on Bisping's head to make sure he's completely unconscious so that there's no complaints of an early stoppage. Plus it's always fun to see Bisping laid out stiff. Also, Vitor's haircut was just painfully bad.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I really badly wanted Bisping to win, just so they'd finally have to feed him to Silva.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Also talking MMA business - sounds like Bellator is going to post better numbers for their first card on Spike than the UFC will for this FX event.

Looking forward to the fallout if that trend continues.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

weemadando wrote:I really badly wanted Bisping to win, just so they'd finally have to feed him to Silva.
They already fed him to Silva. He lost. Too bad it wasn't Pride rules or Wandy would've stomped and soccer kicked him to death.
Oh. You mean Anderson Silva? Yeah, Bisping would get clowned even worse than Forrest or Bonnar. As fun as it would be to watch, it would be a waste of a fight for Anderson.

I can't say I'm too surprised with the TV numbers, the UFC has too many events and not enough quality fighters to fill them.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Wow. ROFL! There goes a cash cow. I bet Dana White's real happy right now. I know I am!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I haven't seen the event, but signs are that Overeem got pasted due to cockiness. Is this true?

Has the cheating fuckwad been smashed in his dumb face by Bigfoot?
Dominarch's Hope
Village Idiot

Post by Dominarch's Hope »

Wait what? What happened?
Because, Murrica, thats why.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Man, it gets better, Blackzillians are 0-2! Fuck yeah!!

And yeah, he did. You don't do an Anderson Silva and fight with your hands down unless you are Anderson Silva. Especially if you're a heavyweight with a suspect chin. The only thing that would be more awesome is a Diaz brother getting coldcocked when he puts his hands in the air to taunt.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Oh man, if Nick Diaz was to do a taunt of some sort and GSP hit him with his logo-style wheel kick?

Mess my pants right up.
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

Overeem deserved it for dancing around with your hands down against a 280 pound man, Maia fitched fitch and poor frankie :( I felt he won the last 2 for sure and arguably the third, but that's the whole powerful strikes vs volume argument again.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

So I've been saying for a while that Rashad sucks and only gets by on speed, power, and pure dumb luck. Retards look at his KO of Liddell and claim that he's a great striker, whereas I've always said his technique sucks donkey balls. When you put him in against a technical striker such as Machida or Lil Nog, he get's beaten to the punch because he doesn't know what footwork and dominant angles are. Even though Nog is slower, he was always able to get his left straight to land first since he had the angle on Rashad, throughout the entire fight Nog had his lead foot to the outside of Rashad's which gives him a shorter path for the left straight down the middle. The punch gets there faster and Rashad got nailed by it all night long, it was fucking comical how he got dinged every single time.

Oh yeah, and his fight IQ is about as good as Martin Kampmann's. Nog has been beaten by wrestlers a bunch of times, so what does Rashad do even though he's a wrestler? Oh yes, that's right, stand and get into a technical point fighting match. Which is what Nog's best at and also Rashad's weakest area. Fucking brilliant! I spent the entire fight going "c'mon, he can't be that dumb..." and when the fight was over I was like "holy shit, he really is that dumb!"

Main event started well but then Aldo let Frankie back into the game and it ended up being way closer than it should. Frankie's game depends on movement and Aldo was scoring with leg kicks, then for whatever reason he stopped using them and got into a boxing match which he was losing more often than not. Commit to the leg kicks so that Frankie can't move, then finish him off once he's a sitting duck. Watching the last 3 rounds was frustrating, except for the front kick to the face.