Star Trek into Darkness - Synopsis

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Re: Star Trek into Darkness - Synopsis

Post by Skylon »

The marketing actually really does remind me of The Dark Knight, specifically the poster. However, nearly every trailer now has that damn Inception-esque -BWOOOOMMMMM sound. It was unique and cool in that film, but it needs to stop being everywhere.

As for the Avengers, I'm not sure how it could have influenced this film. Avengers was released in May 2012, while filming for Star Trek 12 began in the Fall of 2011. But, we'll see when it comes out I guess. Except, as Stark noted, it and all the super hero films lately just make it easier for the public to accept super powered people in film.

I'm okay with dark, as long as the movie remembers that Star Trek works best when it is fun and has the right dose of humor. "The Wrath of Khan" goes pretty dark. Darker than everything that preceded it in the franchise, yet the characters are allowed to smile. James Horner's score also helped in this area. Same with "Search for Spock", it probably went darker but there were some good humorous parts of that film. The TOS characters have that ability to make the audience smile even when shit is dark. Going dark is okay, just not, as noted GRIMDARK. For all 2009 Star Trek's faults I came out of it thinking that for the first time in years, Star Trek was just plain FUN. Hell, take a cue from Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back may have been dark, but it also knew how to have fun injected into it.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Do we know of any John Harrison in the Trek lore? Because that is what BC's character's name is.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Disinformation, maybe? We've already had some of the actors effectively trolling us with who the villain might be. :P
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Srelex wrote:Disinformation, maybe? We've already had some of the actors effectively trolling us with who the villain might be. :P
Except, this is coming from Paramount. Already theories are abounding as to what this name means. Could be the name the villain uses instead of his real name? Whatever it is, I doubt it is Kahn since I don't think Kahn is the type to use fake names. Then again, if we take what Paramount said at face value, I doubt it would be Gary Mitchell.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

I don't think they'd be so coy with the villain for so long just to casually reveal it like this. Still convinced it's just Paramount fucking with people till I see more evidence.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Srelex wrote:I don't think they'd be so coy with the villain for so long just to casually reveal it like this. Still convinced it's just Paramount fucking with people till I see more evidence.
Likewise./
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

I saw this, and the only thing I can think is "Wow, this film's gonna suck donkey balls ... it's like they want to prove that Berman and Braga were not the worst things to happen to the franchise."
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I like the acknowledgement that Kirk has to gain some humility. In the last film, Kirk was an arrogant jackass. That's forgivable because he was a young man. But it is not forgivable in the captain of the Federation flag ship.

Was that Pike talking at the beginning? I hope they continue having him as Kirk's mentor. That was a part of the first film I like a lot.
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Definitely Pine.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I hope they continue having him as Kirk's mentor. That was a part of the first film I like a lot.
Yeah, that was one aspect of the 2009 film I really enjoyed, too.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

What happened to the video? Is it just "trailer two?"
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Mr. Tickle
Youngling

Post by Mr. Tickle »

I am the only one getting a Khan vibe from this?

Has anyone else seen the 10 minute clip footage?
darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Post by darth_timon »

I've seen the 9 minute preview, and to be honest it doesn't give a lot away in terms of who the villain is. The new trailer would seem to suggest Khan, which is what I suspected from the first trailer, but there's still not a lot of hard info to work with- plenty of events with various interpretations to consider.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

StarTrek.com mentions that Alice Eve will play Dr. Carol Marcus.

This is starting to sound more like Kahn being the villain than Mitchell.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Haven't they already explicitly stated he's a completely new character named John Harrison?
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Losonti Tokash wrote:Haven't they already explicitly stated he's a completely new character named John Harrison?
There has been contradictory information from various sources involved in the film, like Karl Urban saying it was Gary Mitchell and one of the writers giving a list of who would NOT be in the film (which included Gary Mitchell but didn't rule out Khan). Same writer also said that whoever it is will be someone seen before in the canon IIRC. A lot of this just stinks of marketing misdirection to me. John Harrison could be a pseudonym or an all-new character.

Basically it's all bullshit until we see the actual film.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Stofsk wrote:
Losonti Tokash wrote:Haven't they already explicitly stated he's a completely new character named John Harrison?
There has been contradictory information from various sources involved in the film, like Karl Urban saying it was Gary Mitchell and one of the writers giving a list of who would NOT be in the film (which included Gary Mitchell but didn't rule out Khan). Same writer also said that whoever it is will be someone seen before in the canon IIRC. A lot of this just stinks of marketing misdirection to me. John Harrison could be a pseudonym or an all-new character.

Basically it's all bullshit until we see the actual film.
It occurred to me that it could be a project acronym or something. I'd wager that even if they were doing Khan, they wouldn't have the character be a man from the past, but probably some sort of super soldier bred by the federation now who gets loose. I'm wondering if we'll get something like:

"Oh hey, have you met John Harrison? He's the only survivor of Project Kill Humanoid Aliens Now, or Khan for short."
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

That is patently stupid.

If they aren't going to retell the story of Khan, then why fucking bother? Especially since in this point in history Khan would just now be being found, and he and Kirk have their first confrontation. If they make it something new, it loses all that impact, and really, the reason Khan hates Kirk is because he forgot about him and denied him his perceived right to rise to the challenge put down by Kirk's exile to Seti Alpha VI. This is all set up by the first encounter.

Change any of that and the dynamic of the whole Khan/Kirk thing is just retarded.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Khan's drive for revenge would make no sense, and especially the mad-on it seems the villain has for Kirk based on the trailers (of course he could be rambling about revenge against Earth/Starfleet). That's why Gary Mitchell kinda made sense (if the IDW comic is considered canon...have him somehow survive and come back for revenge).

One thing I am starting to think is its possible you could just have another character take a trip out to the Galactic Barrier and get super-powered like Mitchell.

At this point I am just hoping I am pleasantly surprised by who the villain is, and that it is anyone but Khan.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Havok wrote:That is patently stupid.

If they aren't going to retell the story of Khan, then why fucking bother? Especially since in this point in history Khan would just now be being found, and he and Kirk have their first confrontation. If they make it something new, it loses all that impact, and really, the reason Khan hates Kirk is because he forgot about him and denied him his perceived right to rise to the challenge put down by Kirk's exile to Seti Alpha VI. This is all set up by the first encounter.

Change any of that and the dynamic of the whole Khan/Kirk thing is just retarded.
Are you saying desperate attempts to shoehorn in rehashes of old stories based on intentionally vague trailers does nothing but increase buzz for the movie?

You should be a marketing director. :V
J Ryan
Youngling

Post by J Ryan »

Well I got back from watching the Hobbit on Imax, and they went and put the first 5 minutes of Star Trek on there. I'll summarise as a spoiler.
Spoiler
We open in a scene of 23rd Century London. A couple awakes and travels in their hover car to a large hospital out in the country side (think Xavier's mansion). They are here to visit their daughter who is lying comatose plugged into a ventilator. The father walks outside, and voice behind him promises that he can save her. When the father asks who he is, the camera pans around to reveal Cumberbatch who stares moodily into the camera for a few seconds. Before he answers with his name it fades to black.

Next scene is of Kirk and McCoy, running through a red alien jungle, being chased by primitive chalky faced aliens. Kirk exposits that they have stolen a religious artefact so that they would be chased, and communicates up to a shuttle that the aliens are out of the "kill zone". Up on the shuttle Spock is suiting up in a red version of the space suit from sunshine. We learn that he is going to be lowered into the mouth of a volcano to activate some sort of device that will stop the Volcano going off, which would and I quote "destroy the planet". He is lowered into the volcano by the hovering shuttle but magma strikes the cable and he falls the rest of the way. Sulu piloting the shuttle reports that they'll have to ditch the shuttle at this point due to damage received. Kirk and McCoy have now reached a sea cliff face and after putting on the same scuba gear last used by Obi Wan they dive into the water. This reveals the Enterprise sat on the ocean floor, a few meters away from the cost. They enter through an airlock and are berated by Scotty for the stupid idea of placing a star ship under water. Back on the bridge they contact Spock who has survived the fall and is setting up the magic doohikey. The heat is too much for a shuttle, and they can't beam him out unless they get line of site. Spock then points out a shuttle can hide in the volcanoes ash cloud, but the Enterprise can't, so would be seen by the natives, which he states would break the prime directive. Spock delivers his "needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few line and communication drops out. Kirk turns to McCoy and asks what he thinks Spock would do if the situation was reversed. "He'd leave you to die" he growls. Fade to black.
Mr. Tickle
Youngling

Post by Mr. Tickle »

Well I got back from watching the Hobbit on Imax, and they went and put the first 5 minutes of Star Trek on there. I'll summarise as a spoiler.
Ignoring the plot spoilers what did you think of the 3d? (im guessing you saw it 3d on an imax)

I thought the elements close to the screen being blurry and out of focus was distracting as hell, I think it worst in the first scenes

edit - spoiler didnt work right
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Man, I think I just had the best/worst idea ever... what if John Harrison is...

Jean-Luc Picard? And he crossed back in time space blahbitty blah to correct the timestream? :lol: That Cumberbatch fellow sorta has the accent and the face to be moderately close.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Havok wrote:Man, I think I just had the best/worst idea ever... what if John Harrison is...

Jean-Luc Picard? And he crossed back in time space blahbitty blah to correct the timestream? :lol: That Cumberbatch fellow sorta has the accent and the face to be moderately close.
He's not bald. We all know Picard was born bald. :wink:
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.