"Once Upon a Time" Talkback (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Re: "Once Upon a Time" Talkback (Spoilers)

Post by DarkSilver »

Yep.

Dr Whale is Dr Frankenstein.

Apparently there's been a lot of clues to the fact (apparently the director of the two original Frankenstein Monsters were named Whale being one of them).

Kinda wish I had seen it coming a long time ago.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

So now we know the origin of the Emma-mobile (it amuses me that it's a twice-stolen VW bug).

We also know now who the mystery guy from the season premiere is, what happened to Henry's biological father, and why Emma refuses to discuss that time in her life.

The big problem here for me is that August's involvement seemingly contradicts what we learned late last season. We were told that he abandoned Emma and eventually made tracks for the tropics (which was noted with August's envelope from Phuket). He didn't give a shit about the Curse and his mission until Emma entered Storybrooke and his condition began to deteriorate. So, it feels like a retcon -- though granted, August may have still felt just enough about assisting Emma with the broad strokes, thinking she could handle it on her own.

Still, August is MIA and Neal is coming to town. So I'm very keen on seeing Emma's reaction when she learns what really happened that night.

The shared visions of Aurora and Henry are intriguing. Could they be sensing each other or has the breaking of the Curse unleashed a new player into the worlds, someone more dangerous than Regina, Gold, or even Cora? If so, it reminds me of Fables and how the downfall of the Empire backfired by unleashing Mr. Dark upon everybody.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Well, King George is a sore loser, isn't he?

And now we know why Aurora and Henry have been sharing the same dream.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Ruby/Red Riding Hood continues to be stupidly hot.

King George is still a dick.

Next week, DREAMS
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

George may also come to regret burning the hat. Once Corra makes it to Storybrooke -- and you know it's when, not if -- then all hell will break loose. And with everyone trapped in the town's borders, a repaired hat may have been the only way out of there...
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Well, things are shaping up quite nicely for the mid-season finale.

All hell's about to break loose again.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

So despite our plucky heroes' best efforts, Cora and Hook have come to town.

This is going to make things very interesting come January.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, Cora's entire motivation seems to be making her daughter rely entirely on her after destroying everything she has. That's...interesting, if nothing else.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

FaxModem1 wrote:So, Cora's entire motivation seems to be making her daughter rely entirely on her after destroying everything she has. That's...interesting, if nothing else.
Given what little we now about Cora's childhood, it's not surprising.

And yeah, it's crazy, but it's still more interesting than a generic motivation. It's like how Regina's seemingly irrational hatred of Snow took on new context after we learned of Snow's snafu. Or when we learned how Gold acquired his powers and why he does what he does.

I'm curious how many people are going to flock to Cora's banner. Regina and Gold have their undying enmity, but would anyone understand that as bad as they are, they're not in Mommy Dearest's league.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Actually, I would still put Gold/Rumple in Cora's league.

Cora got her powers because of Rumple playing with her (wasn't it said that Cora was the girl who spun straw into gold?) and guiding her along the way - I still think Rumple will up her power wise.

Regina though....no, I don't think Regina is in her mothers league.

January will not get here soon enough to see what happens when the baddies met.

Also, Henry is a dick. Seriously kid, go fuck yourself. You don't deserve the love and devotion Regina is showing you. She absorbed the magical kill shield thing, saved Snow and Emma, and you just brush her aside after your big speech.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

DarkSilver wrote:Also, Henry is a dick. Seriously kid, go fuck yourself. You don't deserve the love and devotion Regina is showing you. She absorbed the magical kill shield thing, saved Snow and Emma, and you just brush her aside after your big speech.
Yeah, it's like during the climax of Thor when Loki needs his family's love and forgiveness...and Odin screws it up.

This is definitely going to come back to bite Henry and company in the ass.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Cora really is a bitch, isn't she?

However, there were 2 things that bugged me:

1. Why didn't Emma's Lie-Detector sense kick in? I hate how it was prominent in early Season 1 before gradually being dropped and ignored.

2, With a town full of magical characters (all of whom hate Regina), why didn't Emma or the others consider that someone used magic to appear as Regina? Granted, they wouldn't have thought of Cora given they think she's stranded in the Enchanted Forrest. But still…
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Uh oh......

Cora has lured Regina to her side with the most vile and awful weapon at her disposal...sweet words and platitudes.
There goes Regina's face turn.

Regina and Cora used to kiss to seal deals - that's kinda....odd.

Gold is going full Rumple-mode - He's pissed beyond pissed, and doesn't seem like he's willing to play nice anymore. "If anything appens to Bell while I'm gone, I'm gonna kill all of ya"

Three Weeks! Raggin-Fraggin! I hates breaks..I hates it precious....
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Yeah, I have to give Corra credit for playing a mean game last night.

As pointed out, she's got Regina on her side by targeting her emotional achilles heel (Henry).

And by dangling the means to track Baelfire in front of Gold, she's removed the Dark One and Emma from the playing field at this critical juncture.

Combine these developments with the Muggle seeing magic and all hell's about to break loose.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Also, Gold introducing himself as "Rumpel Von Stiltskin" to Frankenstein had me cracking up. Easily one of the funniest moments of the series thus far.

Edit -- Henry also had a point. Frankenstein's not a traditional fairy tale, so why did the Curse drag him into the Real World? It looks like it was more encompassing than we thought (and makes you wonder what else came through).
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Even though Dr. Frankenstein isn't a traditional fairy tail he did once travel to the Enchanted Forest realm and interacted directly with Regina.

As far as I can tell no one else from Frankenstein's universe came through (Igor, for example) so it may be that you had to have interacted with the traditional fairy tales (via travel, or through Regina) in order to be effected by the curse.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Good point.

Another funny bit from last night was Corra's reaction to automobiles. :lol:
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

My favorite part so far is when Gold is beating Hook to death and Belle's begging him to stop, and then Hook goads him and he responds, "He's gotta die"

The expression and body language in that line's delivery made me smile.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Yeah, as much as I sympathize with Hook given what Gold did in the past, I'm also rooting for Gold to gut the bastard.

Wiping out Belle's memory just to spite Gold was so much worse than outright killing her (and especially after Gold spared his life).
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

One thing that sort of bothers me is that Belle should at least remember Gold as the guy she was told would help her after she escaped the asylum since crossing the border supposedly only makes you forget your fairy tale life ("Your cursed self becomes your only self").
Children of the Ancients
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Jaepheth wrote:One thing that sort of bothers me is that Belle should at least remember Gold as the guy she was told would help her after she escaped the asylum since crossing the border supposedly only makes you forget your fairy tale life ("Your cursed self becomes your only self").
Belle could simply be in shock from the mindwipe, getting shot, and the crazy man who's been stalking her sickbed.

It might come through given time.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Not to mention seeing Magic for what for her, will be the first time.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I'm just waiting for Regina to go Nuclear and start blowing people up, sorry the writers have once again managed to turn the heroes into douches for me. Happens all the time, I'm finding myself sympathising with the villain, who is more of a fleshed out character.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

And we're back from break.

We get to see Jack, finally. Funny, Jack is a hot ass chick. And she was doing James.

Jack knew James was a prick, don't see why she seemed surprised he would leave her while she was dying and there were angry Giants around. What was she expecting? True Love?

Rumple is without magic outside of Storybrook....I wonder if this is the same for Regina and Cora as well. . . .

hmmmmm, overall, interesting. And apparently Antone has a new family, and is now a Dwarf. Magic beans ahoy!

The good guys still are bland and shitty to me. I actively dispise most of them - the villains get much better character development in this show. I wonder if this was intentional. . . .
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

I'm not sure if Rumpelstiltskin is without magic because he's outside Storybrook, or if it's because he was separated from his talisman for a bit.

If the latter then I find it funny that the TSA unintentionally accomplished in 30 seconds what some of the most powerful beings from the Enchanted Forest world couldn't.
It also shows poor planning on his part as he should have realized that public transport may separate him from his talisman. He should have chartered a flight, or just drove. I guess he's just very impatient to get to his son.

I'm wondering if Antone will ever point out that Regina is the one that encouraged him to kill Charming.

Looking at next week's preview... I'm thinking Baelfire may be Henry's father... which makes Henry Rumpelstiltskin's grandson :D
Children of the Ancients