Need help finding "best" Justice League cartoon series

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Need help finding "best" Justice League cartoon series

Post by Lagmonster »

My son (5 years old) is hugely into Superman and Batman (more Superman, because he's five and "limitless" is the end result of every five-year-old's imagination).

I didn't watch any of the DC universe cartoons, having grown up in the 70s, but I've heard that there was a Justice League series that stood out as excellent, and the best choice for a kid who basically wanted to see as many superheroes doing cool things as possible in one franchise. Ideally, I would like to get him a complete packaged series that both makes a young boy giddy when something awesome happens, and has pacing and writing that is enjoyable to an adult.

If anyone can identify a cohesive DVD package that would fit the bill, I'd be thrilled. I tried googling "Justice Leage DVD" but came back with so many different combos, sets and packages that I said "screw it" and came straight here.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Re: Need help finding "best" Justice League cartoon series

Post by Zablorg »

Oh man, Justice League is an awesome cartoon, and I think it will hit all the points you're looking for. Particularly after the first two seasons when Justice League Unlimited kicks in and the roster is expanded to like a billion people, which really opens up a lot of cool story avenues for them.

Here is the whole thing, 91 episodes in five seasons of justice.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Something to keep in mind is that because the series is part of the DC Animated Universe, it has ties to the preceding shows.

Specifically, once it gets going, it begins to continue a number of story threads, particularly from Superman: The Animated Series. It's still watchable, but it could get confusing for him as he hasn't seen those earlier episodes.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

justice League continued a storyline with Batman Beyond AND Static Shock, both series I would recommend, and seems to be continued in spirit by Young Justice.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

You totally don't need to have seen any of the previous series to understand what's going on though. Even the elements that do carry on from the previous series are basically explained as much as they need to be in the space of about two scenes.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Vendetta wrote:You totally don't need to have seen any of the previous series to understand what's going on though. Even the elements that do carry on from the previous series are basically explained as much as they need to be in the space of about two scenes.
Yeah. Team Timm had to do it this way as they were building upon/referencing events that had happened years earlier and on different networks.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I'm heartily echoing 'Justice League/Justice League Unlimited'. Plenty of superhero action for the kid, good pacing and writing an adult can enjoy, and it has the penultimate Batman voice actor (yes, so I'm probably biased. Sue me). Having seen the other series before I'm naturally not the best judge of that but I, too, think that the series works completely on its own (not that the precursors aren't worth watching on their own merit, though BB may be a little on the dark side for a 5-year old).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

I watched a few Justice League Unlimited episodes on youtube, the high concentration of superheros kind of dragged the pace down, although the pace of action was good. I don't feel the Batman character is written as well as in Batman The Animated Series. The final episode of the Justice League was a bit wat, and Bruce's voice didn't seem that old.
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Batman wrote:...though BB may be a little on the dark side for a 5-year old).
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend Batman Beyond to him at this age either (and Return of the Joker is also definitely out).
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

ryacko wrote:I watched a few Justice League Unlimited episodes on youtube, the high concentration of superheros kind of dragged the pace down, although the pace of action was good. I don't feel the Batman character is written as well as in Batman The Animated Series. The final episode of the Justice League was a bit wat, and Bruce's voice didn't seem that old.
Why in Valen's name would I sound old at the end of JLU? I'm still in my prime at that time. I can only assume you're referring to 'Epilogue', which plays during the BB era, in which I sound...exactly like I did throughout BB?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

Batman wrote:
ryacko wrote:I watched a few Justice League Unlimited episodes on youtube, the high concentration of superheros kind of dragged the pace down, although the pace of action was good. I don't feel the Batman character is written as well as in Batman The Animated Series. The final episode of the Justice League was a bit wat, and Bruce's voice didn't seem that old.
Why in Valen's name would I sound old at the end of JLU? I'm still in my prime at that time. I can only assume you're referring to 'Epilogue', which plays during the BB era, in which I sound...exactly like I did throughout BB?
Yes, but the end of the Epilogue, Bruce is even older. Eighty maybe.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

So? This means my voice must change noticeably because of...?
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Batman wrote:So? This means my voice must change noticeably because of...?
All of that rasping?

Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

"Wait THAT's your new stage voice??"

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Recheck the Timmverse. I didn't do the rasping there, at least not to the excess it was used in the Nolan movies :P
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

you are not batman you weirdo

Anyway, why would having multiple heroes slow down the pacing? Each episode only focuses on like three at a time, and these heroes are selected as the focus of the story based on what they want the story to do. hrrrm yes what a bad idea
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

Maybe the few random episodes I saw weren't good examples...

Suggest a good one?
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

I really liked "Flash and Substance", an episode that explores what makes Flash tick as a person.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

Also "Patriot Act"
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Zablorg wrote:you are not batman you weirdo
No, it's a running gag in the threads Bats posts in; he's been doing it for years.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I found the JLA less entertaining then the JL seasons. Aside from the project cadmus arc, which was excellent.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

JME2 wrote:
Zablorg wrote:you are not batman you weirdo
No, it's a running gag in the threads Bats posts in; he's been doing it for years.
P. sure zabs knows this.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Just get him the Justice League and Justice League: Unlimited box sets. If they come together even better.

And don't listen to any of these worry warts about your kid being 5. There is nothing in any of these cartoons that is so bad that the hero saving the day in the end of the show won't fix.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I will also recommend the Justice League series mentioned in the second post by Zablorg.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

*scratches head* The only ones worrying were me and JME2 and that was about 'Batman Beyond', not 'JL/JLU'?