Game of Thrones Season 3 casting news (minor spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Re: Game of Thrones Season 3 casting news (minor spoilers)

Post by Vympel »

And may it win many more :)

Can't believe there's still 192 days to go till Season 3 begins.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Those are the Emmys no one cares about. Wait until Sunday's ceremony to see if it stacks up against Mad Men and the other shows.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I forgot that Vargo Hoat's casting has not been confirmed.

Vargo Hoat has been Jeyne'd. His character is being replaced by someone called Locke, being played by Australia's Noah Taylor.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

That's rather odd. I wonder if they're going to fundamentally change the character.

That would actually be a disappointment. I liked how Hoat was a monster that Tywin unleashed, which then came back to bite him in the ass.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Its stated on WiC that he won't have the lisp.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

That's okay. The lisp was just annoying in the book. It would be cool, though, if he had a "Qohorik" tweak to his speech, sort of like how the Braavosi all have a similar accent in the show.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Ultonius
Padawan Learner

Post by Ultonius »

Guardsman Bass wrote:That's okay. The lisp was just annoying in the book. It would be cool, though, if he had a "Qohorik" tweak to his speech, sort of like how the Braavosi all have a similar accent in the show.
The only other Qohorik we've seen in either the books or TV series is the armourer Tobho Mott, and he had no obvious accent in either. He mentions living in Qohor as a boy in the first book, so he may have lived in King's Landing all his adult life, which would explain his lack of a distinctive accent. However, Locke sounds like a Westerosi name, so Hoat's 'replacement' is probably not meant to be a foreigner.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... yj0e0r_yLI

Production video, looks at new characters in costume, including Mance Rayder and Edmure Tully :)
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Are there any Asian-ish people in Essos?
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

The books aren't really specific on races. Aside from the fact that Summer Islanders are black, the people of Ghis are olive-skinned (so probably Mediterranean, but I like to imagine some of them with South Asian features), and the people of Qarth are extremely pale, there's nothing set in stone and you could basically pretend most people are whatever ethnicity you like. I kind of wish the show had gone for more diversity in its casting of Essos people, if only because variety just looks more interesting.

As an aside, I wonder if the crazy dyed hairstyles of the Essos people were screen-tested and found wanting, like the purple Targaryen eyes, because that's another case where it would provide more distinctiveness for Essos and some visual flair that I think would be cool.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:The books aren't really specific on races. Aside from the fact that Summer Islanders are black, the people of Ghis are olive-skinned (so probably Mediterranean, but I like to imagine some of them with South Asian features), and the people of Qarth are extremely pale, there's nothing set in stone and you could basically pretend most people are whatever ethnicity you like. I kind of wish the show had gone for more diversity in its casting of Essos people, if only because variety just looks more interesting.
The Dothraki are more diverse on the show than they are in the books, where they are described as being uniformly copper-skinned and dark-haired, with almond-shaped eyes. Their men rock big moustaches.

The Ghiscari are described as being a kind of yellowy-olive, with stiff, wiry black and red hair (often on the same head) that their male aristocrats style into wacky and elaborate topiary shapes BDT (Before Daenerys Targaryen).

The Ibbenese are uniformly described as squat and hairy.

The Lysene have very fair hair, skin, and eyes, sometimes sporting the platinum/purple "Valyrian Look" that the Targaryens are known for.

The Myrish and Rhoynar are mediterranean-looking.

The Lhazareen are described as round-faced and bronze-skinned with almond-shaped eyes.

The Tyroshi dye their beards and sometimes other hair wacky colors, so we can probably assume that they are normally fair-haired unless they also have bleach.

Really the only places in Essos that don't seem to have a dominant phenotype are the most cosmopolitan and densely-populated cities (eg: Braavos, Pentos, Volantis) as far as I can tell.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:As an aside, I wonder if the crazy dyed hairstyles of the Essos people were screen-tested and found wanting, like the purple Targaryen eyes, because that's another case where it would provide more distinctiveness for Essos and some visual flair that I think would be cool.
We haven't had any Tyroshi on-screen yet that I can think of. We'll see if they do it this season with Daario Naharis, who is supposed to be sporting a purple tri-forked beard among his other ridiculous affectations.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

This seems to indicate Daario will be boringly-haired.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:This seems to indicate Daario will be boringly-haired.
Yeah, that shit right there is what I'm talking about: The character and ethnic descriptions in the books are just fine, but HBO lacks the stones to follow through on it. "A purple beard with a gold tooth?" I can hear them saying. "But that's fucking ridiculous. Why would GRRM have Dany fall for a guy who looks fucking ridiculous? That couldn't possibly have been a brilliant conscious choice on his part to show us that, despite everything else, she's still a dippy teenager! Nope, out it goes!"

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

At this point I'm worried about the Unsullied. Brown-skinned slaves who don't speak about themselves in the first person? How'll that work? I mean, it's not a big deal but considering some of the comments I heard about how glad people were that the white nobles didn't whip the black Alayaya because of "social context" you never know.

As for Daario, hopefully his dialogue will be ridiculous enough to get the point across.
Ultonius
Padawan Learner

Post by Ultonius »

Scrib wrote:At this point I'm worried about the Unsullied. Brown-skinned slaves who don't speak about themselves in the first person? How'll that work? I mean, it's not a big deal but considering some of the comments I heard about how glad people were that the white nobles didn't whip the black Alayaya because of "social context" you never know.

As for Daario, hopefully his dialogue will be ridiculous enough to get the point across.
In the books, the Unsullied are described as being of a variety of ethnic groups, from Free Cities men to Summer Islanders to Qartheen, though more than half are Dothraki/Lhazarene. From what set pictures I've seen, while most of the Unsullied in the TV series appear to be dark-skinned, there do seem to be a few lighter-skinned ones. Even if they are all dark-skinned, it'll probably be made clear to the audience that they are victims of enslavement and brutalization, and that their masters are not nice people at all. The fact that they tend to refer to themselves and each other as 'this one'/'these ones' rather than by name should hopefully eliminate any resemblance to minstrel-show stereotypes.
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Sadly market research for them probably shows having a weird "not attractive" love interest would lower female the demographics. I agree Essos is portrayed with so many different cultures they should use it to brighten or add variety to the show, but again I'm hoping it's just a budget thing not some weird creative decision.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Being the first fantasy series to reach the mainstream, they are paranoid of looking "silly" like the "typical" fantasy. So, anything that wouldn't look out of place in a LOTR film is a big no-no for them.

This means that the more weird-looking characters either get replaced, like Vargo Hoat, or toned down.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Great news, Season 3's episodes will all be longer than those of previous seasons - so much so that there's practically an entire extra episode's worth of new material from all the extra minutes.

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/12/s3-ep ... n-average/
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

So, don't have cable, bought season one and waiting on two. Does season two not cover the whole book 'Clash of Kings'? Edmure Tully is all over the second book. Where does season two leave off?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Aw, the actor who portrays Ser Payne is going to die. A pity too, that guy was badass.

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/01/game-o ... al-cancer/
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

purhaps he'll pull a patrick swaze or warren zevon and work till his character is finished...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

NeoGoomba wrote:Aw, the actor who portrays Ser Payne is going to die. A pity too, that guy was badass.

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/01/game-o ... al-cancer/
I hope you aren't saying it's a pity he got cancer because you want to see him in television show. It's a pity regardless if he was in the series.