NCAA Football 2012 Season

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: NCAA Football 2012 Season

Post by Tsyroc »

CarsonPalmer wrote:If all four are undefeated, it has to be Alabama and Oregon. Alabama is the defending national champions; Oregon, though they have arguably the weakest schedule to this point, easily looks the most impressive.

At the end of the day, though, I have the feeling that when the dust clears, there will only be two standing. I hope the Irish are among them; Kansas State has the easiest road left, and Oregon probably has the hardest.
I would have easily agreed last week. This week, despite Oregon putting up a crazy number of yards and points against USC, the Trojans also put up 51 points against the Ducks. It just makes me feel a little less certain about Oregon than I did before. People were giving them too much credit for shutting out Arizona. If you actually watch that game it's far closer than what the score indicated and I think the Oregon/USC game reflects that a little. I think Oregon needs to go back to destroying its opponents if it wants to make sure that it is #2 at the end of the season. It also can't hurt if Stanford and/or USC manage to defeat Notre Dame.

I think all of the ranked undefeated teams still have potential losses in their future so it should keep the season interesting.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

I turned off the Iron Bowl midway through the third quarter. That was an ugly, ugly, UGLY game. It had basically ended when Alabama took the opening kickoff.

One commentator at the half gabbled about the conversation that will doubtless be held between Gene Chizik and the AD at Auburn. But it's not too hard to guess that it will essentially consist of a two word sentence.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

GO IRISH GO IRISH GO IRISH GO IRISH

I never, ever expected this. But it happened and Notre Dame is finally in my lifetime playing for a national championship.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Bleh, disgusting. I can stand another year of SEC circlejerking if it means notre dame gets knocked off.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Just got finished watching that game myself on ESPN3.com. That goal-line stand was epic.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Looks like we're going to get Alabama vs. Notre Dame for the BCS Championship game.

Also, WTH? Wisconsin is kicking the crap out of Nebraska (70-24 with 8 minutes left). The last I looked they had over 500 yds rushing and were averaging 11.7 yds per carry. If they've got the running game together that well this late in the season maybe a Wisconsin/Stanford Rose Bowl might actually be a pretty good game?
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

IMO, Notre Dame and Bama actually stack up well against each other's strengths. I expect a close and tough-fought game.

North Alabama didn't make the D2 playoffs for the first time in years, but we've got a new coach - well, he's an old coach who came back after a couple of decades.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

:lol: Notre Dame. :lol:

That is what you get when you cheat a win away from Stanford.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

lol. That is all to be said.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

So when was the last time a BCS championship game was actually interesting? I honestly can't remember. I mean, if I'm going to watch two teams I don't care about, they should at least be somewhat evenly matched.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Oregon/Auburn was interesting and a good match to watch.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Alferd Packer wrote:So when was the last time a BCS championship game was actually interesting? I honestly can't remember. I mean, if I'm going to watch two teams I don't care about, they should at least be somewhat evenly matched.
BCS championship? I thought this was the annual sacrifice to appease Dark Lord Saban and his cloning vats.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Alferd Packer wrote:So when was the last time a BCS championship game was actually interesting? I honestly can't remember. I mean, if I'm going to watch two teams I don't care about, they should at least be somewhat evenly matched.
At least you got to watch it. I got rid of cable years ago and since then, ESPN bought all the bowl games up except one, the Fiesta Bowl, so I get radio or crap internet coverage.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

USC vs Texas in the Rose Bowl. The last time it was actually the two best teams in college football.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Hmm. Which team do you consider better than Alabama right now?
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Surely nobody actually thought that notre dame was the second-best team in college football. That's what Block's point is.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Oh, that. Yeah, okay. Maybe A&M this season.
------------
------------
My LPs
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Well, Australia seems to have it's first genuine NFL hopeful in about 30 years (in a non-punter role). As long as Jesse William's injury isn't too serious.

But let's just hope that we get some more serious attention on the sport here and some recruiters coming to investigate... There's a lot of talent lying around in Union/League.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Björn Werner is doing a fine job representing Germany as well.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

My country has excellent representation in the NFL. :P
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Thanas wrote:Oh, that. Yeah, okay. Maybe A&M this season.
Well, that game was already played. I bet the Aggie's will pay to have Saban ship the trophy over.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Well, they did beat Alabama, so that's more than Notre Dame can say. Also, I hate the SEC enough that I actually was hoping ND would win, but I can never be sad that they lost.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Hawkwings wrote:Surely nobody actually thought that notre dame was the second-best team in college football. That's what Block's point is.
Indeed, I think if Matt Barkley had been healthy in the USC vs Notre Dame game this year it would've been a 2 TD+ win for USC. They played a schedule that looked good at the beginning of the year but ended up being extremely soft.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Lord Relvenous wrote:
Well, they did beat Alabama, so that's more than Notre Dame can say. Also, I hate the SEC enough that I actually was hoping ND would win, but I can never be sad that they lost.
I think the issue is, as it always will be, money. It probably makes more sense for two SEC teams to play each other in the national championship, because they field the best teams, by and large. Problem is, there's no national market for the SEC. Outside of the conference, no one cares. Aren't the SEC vs. SEC championship game the lowest rated? I'm sure there's tremendous pressure from ESPN for the BCS to field a team from another conference, just to draw in a different market.

The playoff system cannot be implemented soon enough.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Well, I enjoyed the BCSNC game, but then again I'm a Bama fan.

Roll Tide!
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!