My Little Pony : Second Thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: My Little Pony : Second Thread

Post by madd0ct0r »

by rarity alone you'd be in double digits. - I was wondering if hasbro asked for the crystal stuff, and rarity's reaction to it was the show's writer's taking their ire out on the audience?

Cadence is a princess, and her powers are suspiciously similar to the crystal heart. no coincidence I reckon.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

According to 'replace' function in transcripts, 38 times in #1, 10 times in reminder, and 31 times in #2 8)

As for Cadence, she is bringer of (brainwashing) Love, not Annihilator Of Elder Evils.

Regards,
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

but sombrero (or what ever he was called) was defeated by the power of love. This is the my little pony universe, where friendship is weaponisable.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Shadow6
Youngling

Post by Shadow6 »

Episode three has been released early.

My initial thoughts: Another enjoyable episode.
Spoiler
An existential crisis and the casual murder of (possible) sapients, oh joy.

Pinkie managed to span the whole gamut of emotional states and all the little random acts (I especially liked the backstroke through solid ground) were fun. Pinkie diving quietly and Dash's reaction was hilarious.

More seriously, I wonder how much ponyhood can actually be ascribed to the clones - the fact that they were 'lesser' (as evidenced by their lack of previous memories and even more randomness than usual) copies seems to indicate we aren't supposed to treat them as particularly more than a nuisance.
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

So Twilight has a destiny, will we find out this season, or in a possible future one? I believe the composer for the show hinted at future seaons. I suppose even if it were revealed this season, knowing your destiny and actually fulfilling it are two different things. Celestia obviously has some kind of plan for Twilight, though Luna seems to have some doubts. I can't help but wander if that plan is to replace herself and Luna, though that raises the question of what happens to the royal sisters. It would also seem that Twilight can replicate a spell by seeing it only once going by the initial bit with Celestia and the chrystal shard at the start. Then again, I wander if that also has something to do with the relative close bond between them.

This is about the only time I think I've ever seen an empire mentioned and it not be evil, at least in western media*. They go on about the evil Sombra taking over the Chrystal Empire, not creating it.

New episode starts soon.

Note: Barring the British Empire and Rome . You know, the whole trope about kingdoms are good, empires are evil.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I don't know, I didn't enjoy this episode as much as the others. Though, there were some disturbingly hilarious bits. Like the one where Pinkie grew fingers or when they essentially forced her to watch paint dry.

Though, I think the flower trio going "the horror, the horror!" at the sight of an army of pinkies was really missed.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

If we don't see the "finger" thing and Lyra in some fashion in some fanart I'll eat my hat. Of course I'll have to buy one first.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

I burst out laughing at the bit right after that, when one of the faux Pinkies said, "Betcha can't make a face crazier than...THIS!" and it was the fugly G3 Pinkie. :lol:
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Executor32 wrote:I burst out laughing at the bit right after that, when one of the faux Pinkies said, "Betcha can't make a face crazier than...THIS!" and it was the fugly G3 Pinkie. :lol:
And then she was quickly zapped by Twilight. :D

I felt a couple zaps were unfair as it was some other Pinkie saying something and then another Pinkie looked that way but otherwise didn't seem to be hugely involved in the distraction. But a minor quibble on that.

It did feel a little like the rest of the Mane Six were holding the idiot ball though to do the test at all. All the other Pinkies were busy mindlessly hopping around chanting FUN FUN FUN but there was only one Pinkie Pie moping and sad at all the clones? I can see why they might want to make sure, but c'mon now, do they have that little faith in their friend that they couldn't figure out the only one who appeared to regret what was happening was the real Pinkie Pie? They should've just listened to Spike.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I also thought that they should have realized the sad Pinkie was the real one... but how many times have they actually SEEN Pinkie be that way? I can't think of a single time Pinkie was not hyper, even when she was crying or upset. Pinkie being dolorous and making sense? Can't be "our" Pinkie.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

What if the truth of it was...Pinkie never left the pool in the forest.
Spoiler
NIGHTMARE FUEL MODE ENGAGE
JADAFETWA
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Seven Days ponies?

wait why am I now picturing a Sadeko pony with mane over her eyes, and a well cutie mark.....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Two new thoughts. I do find it amusing that Applejack was in no way surprised by multiple Pinkies, she only wanted them to clean up their mess. Honestly, I'm not sure what to make of that. Here I thought I was jaded!

Is it me or does Pinkie Pie have odd knowledge of esoteric lore/legends? First, the parasprites where she not only seems to know more about them than Zecora who was able to recognize them by sight, but she also outdoes Twilight and her library (granted the books were being eaten at the time). Now, she knows something that is contained in a book that the previous librarian of Ponyville decided warranted being hidden in a secret compartment in the library. Not only can she defy physics, she's outdoing Twilight at knowing legends litterally contained in dusty old tomes!

Edit:Typos.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Keep in mind that a, that's story-convience for you when it comes to legends and stuff (yes, TvTRopes is rather annoying but the idea of "all legends are true" is rather true for fiction) and b, Pinkie seems to excell at local knowledge, not greater knowledge. Remember that Pinkie thought that Zecora was some sort of monster or creep, rather than just a zebra.

Besides, it does make some sense if you pay attention. Pinkie in Too Many Pinkies said that she was following her Nana's nursery rhythm or something. That she knew what Parasprites are can be attributed to be from a different family, who may have had more direct experience (and thus knowledge) of the nature of parasprites.

That, and I think the "hidden compartment" is a bit of a tounge-in-cheek gag. Keep in mind that Dave Polsky also wrote Feeling Pinkie Keen. His primarily motivation and method in writing stories is just for the sake of slapstick, not much more. He has a tendency to make unintented implications, like he did in Feeling Pinkie Keen.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Regarding the parasprites I kind of assumed she got that knowledge either first hand or from a family member. Kind of one of those things it’s wise to pass information on about. I guess my issue is that she knew about them, and not say Applejack. Pinkie's family seems to be rock farmers (whatever that is) and they live outside of Ponyville, presumably near the Everfree Forest. The parasprites seem to be from the EF, or are at least not native to Equestria given Fluttershy's lack of knowledge regarding them. I expect farmers to have some knowledge and folk remedies for pests, but Pinkies family farmed something that parasprites don't eat (at least they seem to eat "food" and only eat other stuff when under the effects of a magic spell); while Applejack's family not only farm normal foodstuffs, they were the ones to settle there first. It seems odd that a rockfarmer’s daughter would know about what are basically magical locusts, yet a family that runs an orchard/farm, and have lived in the area the longest, seem to have no clue about them. My guess is that they hadn’t decided on the Apple Family settling the location of Ponyville at the time of writing, though that is out of universe knowledge.

I knew about the nursery rhyme, I just find it odd that you’d mention some kind of magical artifact in a nursery rhyme and include instructions on how to find it and use it. Eh … I’m probably over thinking this way too much, and instead should be enjoying the crazy antics that result from all this.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Oh god I was babysitting my niece and was forced to watch some of the first season. Now I gotta find the rest of this sickening but riveting show.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

dragon wrote:Oh god I was babysitting my niece and was forced to watch some of the first season. Now I gotta find the rest of this sickening but riveting show.
And another Brony is made.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

I think males ponies are a bit outnumbered
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

dragon wrote:I think males ponies are a bit outnumbered
Four to one, because if it's one thing Bronies like to do it's analyze data and shit. Also the animators have said that's the average for crowd scenes.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Mr Bean wrote:
dragon wrote:I think males ponies are a bit outnumbered
Four to one, because if it's one thing Bronies like to do it's analyze data and shit. Also the animators have said that's the average for crowd scenes.
Wow the US census is 96 males to 100 females, so about equal. Can you imagine what it would be like to have a 4 to 1 female to male ratio.
In 2010, there were 96.7 males for every 100 females in the United States,
link
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

dragon wrote: Wow the US census is 96 males to 100 females, so about equal. Can you imagine what it would be like to have a 4 to 1 female to male ratio.
In 2010, there were 96.7 males for every 100 females in the United States,
link
Yes so it would be in Pony world 25.7 Males for every 100 Females, as for what would happen, either herds (AKA harems) or lots and lots of Lesbians. Neither of course is going to make it into a kids show it's just going to be something in the background. Maybe it will end up in a Cracked Article someday, they like their implications of kids cartoon pieces
after all.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Since this episode didn't have a friendship report, I'll make my own!

Dear Princess Celestia,
Today I learned a valuable lesson about life in Manehatten. And that lesson is snitches get stitches.

Your faithful subject,
Apple Bloom
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

The plot in general was ok, a few nice touches though, the A team theme while fixing up the golden apple was a laugh.

Ditzy and the doctor at the movies was a fun background event.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

well we know that having that skewed of a male to female ratio results in Harems.... and lots of lesbian relationships within the harems, as the mares raise thier colts together....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Well, if you want nightmare fuel and disturbing social implications: are there less males because less are just born or do something happen to them? :P
Credo!