Homebrew system thread II, part 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Re: Homebrew system thread II, part 2

Post by Panzersharkcat »

(OOC: Praise be to the inverse ninja law!)
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

OOC:

And this, Fiji, is why normal warriors like to wear armor during battle. It minimizes the risk of being bitten in the groin by berserk mutant weasels. And that's a good thing.

So Panzer, what are you going to do for an encore? ;)

IC:

Looks like Larric's not in imminent risk of bear attack. He lowers the crossbow (was that a lightning arrow or a lightning bolt?) and fans the next shot of electricity out wider- broader area, harder to dodge, but hopefully still powerful enough to cause serious damage and stop the attack of such a small creature.

Then he gets ready to defend himself again- dodge the bear or fend the monfoxel off with the crossbow butt again.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

(OOC: I am getting honey badger vibes there from berserk mutant weasel. On my part, a hopak dance turned into groin shots. Lots of groin shots. Actually, probably not. Don't want to get too one-note.)
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Fiji_Fury
Padawan Learner

Post by Fiji_Fury »

Dale is cursing as he scrambles back into balance and away from the monfoxel. Blighted rotten turds that they are.

Armor will clearly be a very wise and necessary upgrade at the next opportunity. Dale's no typcial warrior, so heavy plate is not in the cards, but perhaps some light mail would be in order. That's all something to focus on later though.

1) If Dale recovers his balance, he'll set and lunge at the Monfoxel, using movement magic to enhance the speed of the attack.
2) If Dale's balance is still precarious, he'll take a more defensive approach, guarding against the Monfoxel and trying to draw it into a position where Aflred's dexterous hammer can smite it.
3) If the bear breaks into the party first, he'll attempt to interpose the the Monfoxel and between himself and the bear (if the big lug charges it might crush the little guy for us... unlikely but worth a try).
Kaelan
Jedi Knight

Post by Kaelan »

Fifi pops up and intercepts it in mid leap
this is why everybody needs a Fifi on a shield (or a groin pouch....)

Dirt brings the base of the his shield down on the mutant fox, hopefully hearing a crunching sound as it happens, as he rushes to the Bear before whatever is happening is taking effect. If he reaches the site on time Dirt swings his axe with the hope of putting the creature out of its misery, or at least buying some time for the rest of the party to join and assist.
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

Right, let's do that again after the damned machine ate my post.

Technical note; no skill is required to wear armour. If you can carry a pack, you can wear a mail shirt- the weight's usually less and better distributed at that. Athletics helps, but the only real skill involved is the armourer's designing and moulding it to fit.

I got lost and didn't realise all the actions were in. Right. Dirt's kill is easy enough- the thing's paralysed, unresisting. The other monfoxel turns and runs. Eh? A brief moment of yay, it flees, is followed by oh, crap, it's running for help. It's actually making a dead- straight line for the next hilltop, where presumably something awaits it.

Good news, bad news. It doesn't get that far- it was also Larric's target, and a lightning bolt hits it and sets it on fire very nastily. It's not going to make it.

Bad news; the bodies of the other two monfoxels, the two wildcats, the two mutant deer, all start to move. There's a dark- glowing nimbus around the bear.

Final defence plan is to- some of the characters will know what a joining is; they were common enough in the days of the Black Towers. It's essentially a number of dead bodies stitched together into one big lumbering undead killing machine, heads and limbs and claws sticking out at all odd angles, fear- inspiring and damnably hard to kill.

Possess wounded bear; draw corpses towards it; create joining. Having fun yet?

The good news is that this is neither easy nor instant; even as rushed as it is going to have to be, it should be possible for someone with courage and no sense of self preservation to disrupt it, put it down before it can fully form.

Dirt might not entirely qualify, but he's there- swings for it, distracted by having a hindquarter of mutant deer bounce off his back, the bear- glowing eyes now- manages to catch the flat of his blade on a forepaw and bat it aside, tries to do the same to Dirt but only moves him a couple of feet. He may need a bit of help.

Actions?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

More or less what Hilarion was trying with that five-armed zombie Alfred tried to inhale, yes?

Larric's more than a bit shaken now, trying to maintain- mind skitters and he settles on this. He trots round for a clear line of fire that won't hit Dirt in the back, and a patch of bare dirt. Sketches a quick cathode rune in the ground, then puts a heavy-charged lightning arrow into the beast.

(OOC: It was that or 'plasma hammer.' For the moment that's his plan).
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

(OOC: So, in other words, Alfred is perfect for the job. :P)

Alfred, noticing the piecing together of the franken-mutant thing, makes for it, trying to hit the wounded bear on the head on the way. He'd go for one of its legs.
Fiji_Fury
Padawan Learner

Post by Fiji_Fury »

"ABOMINATION!" roars Dale, seeing and sensing what's beginning to happen.

He circles around Larric (making sure not to get in the line of fire) and moves up to the possessed bear, ready to let the thing taste violent magical steel at the next opportunity.

If everything works (and there's no reason to think it will), Alfred will bounce his hammer off one of the limbs, Larric is ready to make the body into a crispy critter, and Dale will slash at the neck/chest.
Kaelan
Jedi Knight

Post by Kaelan »

Dirt's first thoughts are 'hey, I'm not an abomination', before realising that Dale could be shouting about the bear. He continues his hacking of the mutant bear with his thoughts drifting to several days of travelling and fighting and still no decent food and all this game meat is totally contaminated now with dark gribbly magic.

Speaking of magic, this creature is being formed of multiple creatures being pulled together, totally against the natural order of most things and in a very haphazard manner as well. A good 'blast' at the seams and it may come unravelling into its component and dead bits again.

Re-directing his attacks, Dirt trys to focus is Fauna magic into the blade, aiming to split the mutated dear-bear from the forces that are merging it togeather.
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

There is a brief symphony of violence, as Dirt hacks at the thing's head, Alfred has to go under Dirt's arm, somehow manages to miss him and crunch the sledgehammer into the bear- joining's chest, Larric manages to form an arc that takes care of the lower limbs at least, Dale slices into it's stomach and Rohal shoots it there too;

a short pause, the smell of the thing is incredible, freshly voided bowels and century old dust, it snarls defiance and tries to hold itself together- then it gets through to the thing's addled nervous system that there are large bits missing, and life may no longer be an option.

It looks quite surprised as it keels over face down in the dust. That would be a kill, then. (The dice wanted it to die. Really. Three critical failures to block? Ouch.)

Actually, thinking about it, this would be a good moment for XP. Five all round, anybody want to make a case for getting more?

It's dead, and temporarily dismissed. What is the plan from here?
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

(OOC: How much did I have left over from last time? I didn't spend any at all from the previous time. Just to clarify, there's nothing stopping us from heading into the place where they spawned and destroying it, right?)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Larric paces off to the nearest thing to lean on, facing out away from the group and trying to keep his eyes on his surroundings, and shakes.

"That was ghastly!"

[will think about XP in a sec]
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Day Six and Seven
With a few tricks like ranging microphones and pressure curtains, Larric's subtlety in the use of air magic to control air as such is improving. He's had some very close scrapes in hand to hand (and sword-to-neck) combat. Also, mountain climbing! So...

2 points to increase Wits from 9 to 10
1 point to increase Athletics (Endurance) from default of 3 to 5
1 point to increase Dodge from 10 to 11
1 point to increase Crossbow from 10 to 11

You know, it's only been a week of game time since this started. An Earthly week, not one of those double-sized Kuquanese ones. :D

Thanks, everyone!

Larric Smith

Temper 13
Determination 10
Resist Magic 13
Resist Persuasion 10

Fellowship 10
Bargain 10
Human Perception 10
Oratory 7
Politics 6

Charm 13
Animal Handling 10
Banter 11
Persuasion 13

Logic 14
Evaluate 10
Perception 16
Runes 11
Thaumaturgy 7

Creativity 14
Alchemy 17
Composition 9
Scrounge 10

Education 9
Craft: Bookbinding 10
History 8

Strength 9
Club 9
Brawl 9

Endurance 10
Resist Injury 10
Resist Disease 11
Athletics 5 (new)

Agility 11
Dodge 11 (from 10)
Riding 6
Crossbow 11 (from 10)

Passions 8
Water 4
Insight 8

Wits 10 (from 9)
Substance 9
Air 11
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

(OOC: Looking back, yes, I have something like 11 points to spend.)

Alfred Norden

Temper – 13
Interrogate – 15
Intimidate – 12 (+2)
Resist Magic - 15

Fellowship - 10
Oratory - 12
Politics - 4

Charm - 11
Courtliness - 12
Resist Persuasion - 10

Logic -12
Perception - 15

Creativity 12
Tactics - 15

Education - 13
Survival - 15 (+3)
History - 10

Strength -15
Maul - 18 (+2)
Brawl - 10

Endurance - 13
Resist Injury - 15 (+1)
Resist Disease - 11 (+1)

Agility - 12
Martial Arts - 15 (+2)
Athletics - 10
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

OOC:

I always picture Alfred as being kind of like a giant George Bush Junior with a sledgehammer. He's well brought up, charming, and capable of being pretty intelligent- but in practice he's often kind of dim because he doesn't bother to think things through. ;)

I'm glad to keep him around.
Fiji_Fury
Padawan Learner

Post by Fiji_Fury »

Experience Gained <DING>

- Dale is busy rediscovering his magical abilities, so no real gain there (and I seem to recall something about such improvements being very expensive)
- He did eulogize back at the town, so some improvement in Oratory skill corresponds
- He took a nasty bite from a Monfoxel and came out of it relatively well so Resist Injury makes sense
- He used the sword a LOT in combat recently; some skill improvement there follows as an outcome

Due to his amnesia, Dale is a little lost overall. Even with what Auburon was saying about a patron spirit becoming insane as a possible/likely explanation for this amnesia, Dale is not entirely certain. He does have the sense that many skills are not as fluid or proficient as they should be, so some of his skill-up will appear to him as though he is recovering lost competency (particularly at first). That framework in mind, here are my skill choices in more detail (and a character sheet because Simon_Jester asked a while ago and Dale is now integrating with the others):

Temper (14)
- Determination (10)
- Intimidate (10)
- Resist Magic (14)
- Resist Persuasion (10)

Fellowship (10)
- Human Percpetion (10)
- Oratory (5 + 1XP = 7)
- Politics (8)

Charm (11)
- Allure (8)
- Courtliness (9)
- Persuasion (12)

Logic (15)
- Evaluate (10)
- Perception (13)
- Runes (10)
- Theology (12)

Creativity (11)
- Musical Instrument (12)
- Tactics (11)

Education (12)
- Human Culture (12)
- Legends and Lore (13)

Strength (11)
- Athletics (14)
- Brawl (9)

Endurance (13)
- Resist Injury (12 + 1XP = 13)
- Resist Disease (11)
- Survival (8)

Agility (15)
- Dodge (13)
- Stealth (10)
- Weapon: Long Sword (10 + 3 XP = 13)
- Weapon: Knives/Daggers (12)

I would love to argue for more XP for Dale, but since he has mostly been pulled along by the vortex of chaos that is this party, I don't think he's made all that many active decisions yet which could warrant such XP. Coming up next: Active decisions.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Fiji_Fury wrote:Experience Gained <DING>

- Dale is busy rediscovering his magical abilities, so no real gain there (and I seem to recall something about such improvements being very expensive)
- He did eulogize back at the town, so some improvement in Oratory skill corresponds
- He took a nasty bite from a Monfoxel and came out of it relatively well so Resist Injury makes sense
- He used the sword a LOT in combat recently; some skill improvement there follows as an outcome
It's actually not that expensive, at your level. See... here, second part of the post

Since we're all human, translate that as... if I'm right:
1 point per +1 to increase a 'magic stat' like Wits from 0 to 5,
2 points per +1 to increase it from 5 to 10,
3 points per +1 to increase it from 10 to 15.

Improving magic skills like Air or Sense is done as if they were any other skill. My impression is that your magic stats are pretty low, so improving them won't be ruinously expensive or anything. Your call, obviously; I've put a significant fraction of Larric's points into increasing magic stats, especially Wits and Air magic.

Due to his amnesia, Dale is a little lost overall. Even with what Auburon was saying about a patron spirit becoming insane as a possible/likely explanation for this amnesia, Dale is not entirely certain. He does have the sense that many skills are not as fluid or proficient as they should be, so some of his skill-up will appear to him as though he is recovering lost competency (particularly at first). That framework in mind, here are my skill choices in more detail (and a character sheet because Simon_Jester asked a while ago and Dale is now integrating with the others):

Temper (14)
- Determination (10)
- Intimidate (10)
- Resist Magic (14)
- Resist Persuasion (10)

Fellowship (10)
- Human Percpetion (10)
- Oratory (5 + 1XP = 7)
- Politics (8)

Charm (11)
- Allure (8)
- Courtliness (9)
- Persuasion (12)

Logic (15)
- Evaluate (10)
- Perception (13)
- Runes (10)
- Theology (12)

Creativity (11)
- Musical Instrument (12)
- Tactics (11)

Education (12)
- Human Culture (12)
- Legends and Lore (13)

Strength (11)
- Athletics (14)
- Brawl (9)

Endurance (13)
- Resist Injury (12 + 1XP = 13)
- Resist Disease (11)
- Survival (8)

Agility (15)
- Dodge (13)
- Stealth (10)
- Weapon: Long Sword (10 + 3 XP = 13)
- Weapon: Knives/Daggers (12)

I would love to argue for more XP for Dale, but since he has mostly been pulled along by the vortex of chaos that is this party, I don't think he's made all that many active decisions yet which could warrant such XP. Coming up next: Active decisions.[/quote]
Fiji_Fury
Padawan Learner

Post by Fiji_Fury »

Good to know! Even so, the current skill increases are what I'll use. Dale accessed some magics but didn't particularly use them in anything more than a passive way. Next time maybe. It depends upon what takes place between now and then.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Attempting to pull himself together, Larric steps away from his leaning-post and gets his bearings. Everyone seems to be physically all right, more or less. He breathes out a shuddery sigh of relief.

"Thank the gods that's over. I don't want to come back up here; what we can break down in the monster-works?" Larric is composing in his mind's eye his version of a satchel charge, picturing how it would go: actually putting one together comes a bit later.
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

The character sheets look fine, waiting for Kaelan (oh, and two XP for Fifi.)

There's a wolf- howl on the wind; it seems to mean something to Rohal, who turns to the party and says 'We have some time- the help the last of them was running to fetch is being held at bay, but- we have time for noses, maybe not for claws.'

Any reactions, any actions based on this?

The largest mound is the one closest to the mountain, and the passage in the earth- it's clearly been made, it's more or less the size of a large human with a pack- doubtful whether the bear could have got in and out by it really. It has clearly been shaped and hardened- the interior surface has been vitrified by fire, probably magical; probably some time ago, at that.

Oddly, the hole in the ground doesn't go straight into the building- in, round a corner, round another corner, and opens on the left against flat, smooth dark stone, cut and dressed. Hm.

Anybody worrying about traps or anything?

No door- air inside is foul but breathable. Who's doing what?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

"Noses? Claws? I don't think I follow you..."

Larric is sweeping again- Insight and Substance, looking for dangerous chemistry, poison in the air, anything of the sort. Also keeping eyes and ears open, obviously.
Fiji_Fury
Padawan Learner

Post by Fiji_Fury »

Dale gives a curt nod and carefully examines the passage.

"The twisted power behind these things is defeated, but not banished. Given time it will recover what little harm we have brought to its plans thus far. We should look for signs of what it is, and what it's designs are. These corrupted beasts are but pawns; symptoms of its sickness."

He will make use of Sense (7), Consequences (3) and Life (4) as he searches. An attempt will be made to probe the foul air and (once an examination around the black stone has been conducted) he will probe the stone itself. Dale already finds this place unsettling. Let's see what we can find, shall we?
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Those with senses of direction will figure out, small outpost, main gate- a weakness- probably faces away from the direction of threat. The vitrified- earth tunnel faced up the mountain, away from the land below, the gate in the stonework faced down the slope, away from the mountain. Hm.

I'm trying not to make light an issue, it won't be hard to get branches from the surrounding undergrowth and set them on fire; from what they reveal- the hole in the dark stone wall opens onto what would have been a courtyard, before a mound of earth was dropped over it.
The lower surface of that, which is now a roof, looks a mixture of petrified and vitrified, could be somebody did a shabby job of one and had to resort to the other- but the workmanship doesn't look like a mistake. Interrupted and finished by different hands?

The flagstones have all a small dishing in the centre- those further from the obvious paths towards open doors are sharper- edged. Some emblem- or runework- on them that has been chiselled out.

One building on the left, still has it's roof intact although it's only about a foot below the fried earth and rock. Looks stable block like, smell of animal faeces. Corner towers, stretch up into the ceiling- probably been decapitated. Faint yellowish-orange glow from the well, probably chemical- smells like it. Large, bear or better sized hole smashed in the wall on the right, vitrified earth within- probably a passage to one of the other mounds.

Odd thing against the right hand wall just past that- too small to be a building, comes up to about chest height- rounded edges, looks like solidified and polished lava; a giant storage bin? No obvious ways in and out.

The main thing is more or less opposite as you look in, and is the most obvious- it's practically crackling with magic, the lowest floor of a round tower about thirty feet across- vanishes into the ceiling, probably not much more than that. Arms and heraldry smashed off again, large, wide door, dark beyond- there's another wall about five feet maybe within the door, forming a kind of antechamber.

Magical probing indicates this is not a healthy environment- apart from the sense of something looking back at you, dangerous chemistry and poisons in the air? Yes. They've probably soaked into the stonework by now, in fact. Low concentrations, and not immediately toxic, but I wouldn't camp in here. The immaterial atmosphere is worse- many things have been tortured in these walls, warped and driven mad, and if anything the scent of animal fear masks the poisons.

So much for first impressions. Who's still outside keeping watch, and what are those inside probing first?
Fiji_Fury
Padawan Learner

Post by Fiji_Fury »

Is it possible to have posted Rohal to watch on the outside? He would probably have the best senses outdoors as a sentry, and be the most heavily and negatively effected by the scent of chemicals and suffering in the mound itself. Assuming he is up there and Larric, Dirt and I are down we have a search party with varying mystical talents. Where is Alfred in all this? Above or below?

In the meantime... a plan of sorts:

- Larric is the alchemist, so him probing/examining the well might be sensible. Perhaps hashing through the currents and chemicals in the air itself might be worthwhile and safer though?
- Dirt is... Ogre. Can he perhaps keep an eye on that bear-sized gap in the wall while looking for markers or symptoms that strike him as familiar? Svartfellen live underground and this is under... any connections?
- Dale is curious about the potential runework and willing to examine various markings to look for a pattern. First though he'd like to check out the chest-height rounded thing past the bear-hole. 1) Any sign or sense of life from within? 2) Any sense of purpose or danger from it?

"This place reeks of suffering. We should not linger; Rohal warned that a look around might be the most we have time for. The air itself in here is foul enough alone to warrant heeding his advice." Dale will then communicate his suggested plan from above. Assuming we're in agreement, he starts examining and probing his first point of interest. If there is disagreement, let's hear it and role-play out the discusson until we are out of time or have an amenable plan.