Walking Dead Season 3 Discussion (Spoilers)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Re: Walking Dead Season 3 Discussion (Spoilers)

Post by Alyeska »

Once again, what the fuck is Andrea supposed to see about Woodbury? What evidence is available that Woodbury is evil?

The only seriously questionable thing that we have seen was the killing of the Guardsman. Thats it. And Andrea wasn't exactly a witness to that.

Michone is just a paranoid individual.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Alyeska wrote:Once again, what the fuck is Andrea supposed to see about Woodbury? What evidence is available that Woodbury is evil?

The only seriously questionable thing that we have seen was the killing of the Guardsman. Thats it. And Andrea wasn't exactly a witness to that.

The heads in the jars? The walkers kept captive? His daughter the walker? Walker fights?
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Block wrote:
Alyeska wrote:Once again, what the fuck is Andrea supposed to see about Woodbury? What evidence is available that Woodbury is evil?

The heads in the jars? The walkers kept captive? His daughter the walker? Walker fights?
So Andrea is supposed to be snooping around the town of the people that saved her. Breaking into peoples homes and looking into every room.

THAT is the fucking evidence? And guess what, what you listed doesn't make someone evil. Daryl had fucking zombie ears in a necklace for fucks sake.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Alyeska wrote:So Andrea is supposed to be snooping around the town of the people that saved her. Breaking into peoples homes and looking into every room.

THAT is the fucking evidence? And guess what, what you listed doesn't make someone evil. Daryl had fucking zombie ears in a necklace for fucks sake.
I dunno, I think the Walker fights would be a clue that something is wrong with the place.

Though there is a large difference between "Something's not right about this place" and "We should go back into the zombie-infested countryside and try again."
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

I think the slaughtering of the Guardsmen is all we need to see to make the decison that the Governor is a little off. However, as Alyeska points out, Andrea hasn't seen that. Michonne has suspicions, but I don't think she's told Andrea. The problem with the similarly-unseen heads in jars is that one of them belonged to the surviving pilot who was rescued by Woodbury. How he died after being patched up is a interesting question.
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

FSTargetDrone wrote:I think the slaughtering of the Guardsmen is all we need to see to make the decison that the Governor is a little off. However, as Alyeska points out, Andrea hasn't seen that. Michonne has suspicions, but I don't think she's told Andrea. The problem with the similarly-unseen heads in jars is that one of them belonged to the surviving pilot who was rescued by Woodbury. How he died after being patched up is a interesting question.
That's the problem, when your friend asks you what the reasons are do you just say "trust me something is wrong" when you have things to describe and explain why you feel that way? It's bad writing, but it doesn't seem to matter, Andrea saw the fight club deal and still seems to want to jump the Governor's bones. Guessing they might swap her story with Michonne's from the comics for more impact.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

• *They were kidnapped and disarmed
    *They were not allowed to leave, repeatedly, for one reason or another, they were not allowed to leave, this was enforced by a guard.
    *Michonne's sword was on display in the Governor's house, not in an armory or shared location, in his house.
    *The Governor will not reveal his name.
    *Merle is in a leadership position. Merle was unstable and racist in the first episode. Andrea knows what happened. That reflects the governor's priorities.
    *Merle got in her face while discussing the "simple" issue of letting Michonne go. he was clearly giving private instructions to a guard.
Michonne's judgement has been trustworthy enough for Andrea for months, Andrea should be considering it more carefully than she is. Andrea is understandably influenced by her desire for the semblance of normalcy. She is just starting to realize that, that is not what the town is. the governor should not need to hold wasteful parties and gratuitous displays to keep his people in line.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

To be honest, I was quite surprised when Merle opened the gates for Michone. I had gotten the sense that the characters were told they could leave but, time and time again, there's always some excuse as to why they shouldn't. And that bothered me quite a bit, which is why I found myself sympathizing with Michone.

Of course, it could also be that her paranoia rubbing off of me. :|
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Themightytom wrote:*They were kidnapped and disarmed
Disputable. Andrea had just fallen unconcious and is clearly very sick. They were found with two walkers near the crash site. They were picked up and disarmed. Kidnapped is a hard sell. Being disarmed is not a bad strike.
*They were not allowed to leave, repeatedly, for one reason or another, they were not allowed to leave, this was enforced by a guard.
When were they actively denied? Tell me. When were they refused to leave. They were told that they could not leave at night, that is all.
*Michonne's sword was on display in the Governor's house, not in an armory or shared location, in his house.
So the Governor is a kleptomaniac. That makes him evil?
*The Governor will not reveal his name.
I won't reveal my name. Does that make me evil?
*Merle is in a leadership position. Merle was unstable and racist in the first episode. Andrea knows what happened. That reflects the governor's priorities.
We saw Merle for all of half a day during a very stressful incident. His current actions are not the same as on that roof. Notice how polite he is being with Andrea. And that is by choice no less.
*Merle got in her face while discussing the "simple" issue of letting Michonne go. he was clearly giving private instructions to a guard.
Assumes facts not in evidence.

There is not a shred of evidence available to Andrea that the Governor is evil. The only definitive evidence we see are situations or details that neither Andrea or Michone know of.

You are letting your increased knowledge of the Governor color your opinion of Andreas reactions. They saved her life and offered her sanctuary. They have been polite and helpful to her.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Yeah, Alys got it on the head. There is no reason beyond Michonnes paranoia (justified thought it may be) that Andrea should think there is something majorly off with the Governor and Woodbury.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Themightytom wrote:*Merle is in a leadership position. Merle was unstable and racist in the first episode. Andrea knows what happened. That reflects the governor's priorities.
It's also been, what, close to a year since she's seen Merle? She knows how much his brother has changed and stepped up to take responsibility during that time (or at least the time before she got separated from the group), so she has reason to think that people can change for the better.

I do think Andrea should be feeling uneasy about the situation at this point, but like I said before, there's a world of difference between that and being ready to leave a comfortable, fortified town and go back to spending her days scavenging and trying not to get eaten by zombies.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

God I love Merle. I can't wait for him to die.

I'd watch an hourlong spinoff of his corpse wandering around moaning racist gibberish.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Well, Merle hasn't changed one bit afterall. He doesn't just do the Governors bidding, he is still an ass on his own. I bet Daryl ends up killing him.

Andrea is getting mind fucked again. She doesn't realize it. But when she learns the truth, her world gets to collapse once again.

ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but Merle pulled his gun and started shooting at them? What was the point of that exactly or was he just trying to kill them?
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I did like how they handled Rick. Last episode I was sure it was his imagination. But they managed to throw a curve at the start of the episode. Ultimately, it was still Rick dealing with his grief.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

ArmorPierce wrote:Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but Merle pulled his gun and started shooting at them? What was the point of that exactly or was he just trying to kill them?
A distraction would be my guess, since he immediately got in close and took Maggie hostage.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

So, any idea just what the Governor is up to? He gunned down (in what seemed like a fairly risky ambush) several soldiers who probably would have made useful additions to the community all things considered for equipment he likely could have gotten from them eventually anyway. He's apparently interested in going after another, smaller settlement that's pretty unlikely to have much of anything Woodbury doesn't. I think he mentioned something about planning to spread out and start retaking the world back from the dead, but you'd think he'd, you know. Be trying to increase their numbers if he was looking at colonization.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Ralin wrote:So, any idea just what the Governor is up to? He gunned down (in what seemed like a fairly risky ambush) several soldiers who probably would have made useful additions to the community all things considered for equipment he likely could have gotten from them eventually anyway. He's apparently interested in going after another, smaller settlement that's pretty unlikely to have much of anything Woodbury doesn't. I think he mentioned something about planning to spread out and start retaking the world back from the dead, but you'd think he'd, you know. Be trying to increase their numbers if he was looking at colonization.
The Governor is interested in increasing his number, but not with anyone who is a threat to his complete leadership. Smaller settlements might not have anything different, but they don't need different they just need more of what they already have. Though I am surprised for a community where everyone has a job and they are trying to remake the world....not having more gardens and what not.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

What spaceviking said. Its pretty obvious that he wants to make the new world in his image and wdesires a leadership cultt around him. Soldiers would be loyal to each other, not him, and would represent threat to his iron clad rule. I don't see why its so hard to believe. Even rick doesn't want to accept outsiders due to the danger they may present.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

So, Merle's position with the Governor isn't totally secure. Interesting. We know Merle was playing fast and loose, and the Governor doesn't fully trust Merle.

Good to see Glen showing some fortitude. The group has relied on him so much over the last 10 months. And he proves that trust. Still very resourceful.

Michone still doesn't trust anyone. Though her shitty luck getting shot by Merle has her on edge. Her ego needs to deflate a little.

spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Ricks group really trust the new inmates now, eh. We have gone from wanting to exile them to leaving the smaller one with all the non-fighters (with the exception of Carl)
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

spaceviking wrote:Ricks group really trust the new inmates now, eh. We have gone from wanting to exile them to leaving the smaller one with all the non-fighters (with the exception of Carl)
Yeah wonder what Axel is going to do while the big boys are out on a mission, can see Carl killing him if he goes near Beth.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I think Axel is pretty harmless, which might actually be bad if the Governor's group strikes while the fighters are out. Still a quick step from no trust to part of the group.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Ever wonder what happened to the Gang Bangers protecting the old folks home in Atlanta?

Deleted scene that would have been part of the first episode of season 2 covers the groups escape from Atlanta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFOQZ6Sr ... re=related

Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Alyeska wrote:Ever wonder what happened to the Gang Bangers protecting the old folks home in Atlanta?

Deleted scene that would have been part of the first episode of season 2 covers the groups escape from Atlanta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFOQZ6Sr ... re=related
Wonder if we'll ever see the "unusable" footage that was supposedly one of the reasons why Darabont got booted from the show. No idea in this day and age what makes footage technically unusable, but rumour was that the opening would have been a Black Hawk Down episode with never before seen armed forces characters. That was the start of Darabont disagreeing with the direction of show and budget issues also but who knows, it seems they partially used that idea in this season anyways just not to the extent of have a dedicated episode to just them.