Is anyone else having problems with google docs recently?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Formless
Sith Marauder

Is anyone else having problems with google docs recently?

Post by Formless »

And does it have anything to do with Google trying to force this "google Drive" app based horseshit down everyone's throats?

I'll explain. Currently whenever I try to access Google Docs, Firefox says that the connection is untrusted. TWICE, however the fuck that is possible; I click to say that I understand the risks and the damn thing says something else is untrusted that it also has to link to just to see GDocs. Then when I go to try and make a new document, the damn thing claims I am offline. This is bullshit, but it means I can't even rename the damn thing, let alone share it. If I try and upgrade to Google Drive like the fuckers are asking me to, that too is labeled as untrusted by Firefox. And it doesn't really matter if I go ahead try to upgrade anyway-- apparently I have to download this piece of shit onto my local machine. The one thing I really liked about Google Docs was that I could view it from practically any fucking machine I wanted, so why the fucking hell does its replacement have to be downloaded?

But that's not all. I try and download it, and the piece of shit wants a constant connection to the internet while installing. Which my firewall (windows Vista) apparently blocks. Who the fuck programs an installer like that? I have literally never seen this problem before in my life.

But anyway, how the hell do I get Google Docs to work again? It appears that they aren't yet finished forcefeeding Drive to everyone just yet, hence the fact that the download is still optional in theory. Is it something wrong with firefox? Is the "working offline" bullcrap have to do with it being untrusted? IS it time to finally jump shit on Google's asinine products? Help me here.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Re: Is anyone else having problems with google docs recently

Post by Terralthra »

An installer? What?

I just accessed my Google Docs through Firefox v. 16.02. It redirected to Google Drive, no untrusted site, no installer, nothing like what you describe.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Do you use Google Apps? I don't, so if I had to guess it has to do with that. But its just a guess, I really have no idea why the hell it thinks it needs to install anything onto my computer. For all I know, someone has indeed hacked the damn thing or something. Would explain why Firefox has it labeled as untrusted... maybe.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

It wasn't hacked. There's probably something wrong on your end in regards to the untrusted stuff. As for the installer, it's there to allow easy upload to your cloud storage.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

How do I get the installer to work? Like I said, for whatever reason the assholes at Google think the installer needs to be able to connect to the internet during the process, and Windows Vista's firewall blocks that shit (probably to stop malware from downloading stuff without permission). Also, will this or will this not work on any computer with an internet connection? Because if not, fuck it. Its no replacement for GDocs otherwise.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Why are you still using Vista?

It needs the internet so it can download the necessary files to install.

And no, Google Docs isn't better. Google Drive exists so you can access all of your files from the plethora of Android devices available.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

I'm still using Vista because Fuck You That's Why. :P

And fuck Android. If I wanted to work on a document from a mobile device I would buy a proper laptop. Which I can't afford. Oh, by the way, there's a less sarcastic reason why I still use Vista.

And I still don't see why it needs an internet connection after the damn downloader has installed. Why in the unholy fuck does it not come with the necessary files already packaged with the installer? For fucks sake, I clicked the downloader button. It had a button saying "if you are having issues installing, click here". So I do, it downloads the installer the normal way instead of trying to install it directly from the page. It still thinks it needs a goddamn connection to the internet when the installer is already downloaded. There is no excuse for this.

Look, if it can't work on a goddamn Vista machine then Google can swallow a gallon of cum. The whole point of GDocs for me was being able to share files between machines and facilitate collaborative work with other people (in my case other students at college). I can't always know that the people I have to work with are using the newest bullshit MicroShit OS or whatever you need to get Drive to work. If it can't do that, then yes, it is time for me to jump ship on Google.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Because the installer is, in this case, a program which downloads packages and installs them, like the beta installer for MechWarrior Online or PlanetSide 2.

Anyway, the installer's optional because you don't need to use it at all to use the Docs. Drive is essentially the same thing as Docs, there's nothing missing or features broken. Does this untrusted location thing happen in IE or Chrome?
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

That's hopeful news, and I hope you are right (because I can't think of any similar service to GDocs which is free). I haven't tested it in Chrome, and last I checked I uninstalled IE due to it being a waste of space.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Look, formless. It's not my fault that you're an idiot crying OMG HAX when you aren't even aware of installers that download content needed installation. Take your faux outrage elsewhere.

PS I was not referring to a laptop as a mobile deice. I was referring to phones and tablets.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Tucker, I'm not here to be derided by assholes who think I don't know what a mobile device is and aren't actually here to help. I seriously have never encountered a fucking installer that does that crap. Possibly because I don't have the time/resources for PC gaming, so I have never had to install shit games like MechWarrior Online. Howabout you go somewhere else and have a good fuck?

Anyway, Terralthra, since you are actually trying to help, here is what happens when I try and reach GDocs through Chrome:
Google Chrome wrote:The server's security certificate is not yet valid!
You attempted to reach drive.google.com, but the server presented a certificate that is not yet valid. No information is available to indicate whether that certificate can be trusted. Google Chrome cannot reliably guarantee that you are communicating with drive.google.com and not an attacker. Your computer's clock is currently set to Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:16:14 AM. Does that look right? If not, you should correct your system's clock and then refresh this page.
You cannot proceed because the website operator has requested heightened security for this domain.
Edit: Yeah. My computer's clock has been dead for a couple months (battery died) but this would be the first time its been a problem like this.
Last edited by Formless on 2012-11-14 05:28pm, edited 2 times in total.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Haha. Your clock is wrong. Fix it. That'll throw up SSL errors all over the place.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Are you aware it is actually November y/n?

It's pretty trivial to try the site in another browser. If your clock is wrong, that would neatly explain the problem, however.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Well shit. I know for a fact that my computer clock is outright broken, and has been for a couple months. I think the battery died. This would be the first time that particular hardware problem has given me real issues software-wise, so I've been putting off fixing it. :/
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Formless wrote:I seriously have never encountered a fucking installer that does that crap.
Have you not gotten any programs online over the past few years?
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Formless wrote:I seriously have never encountered a fucking installer that does that crap.
We're assholes for pointing this out. Let him continue in his self delusion that it's Google's fault that he's experiencing these problems.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

The batteries for those are generally recharged by the system when it's powered, unless the battery is physically toast. Anyway, it's a cheap-ass fix. $5-$10 and 5 minutes of work, at most.

Anyway, fix your time in Windows, first. Double-click the time in your system tray and it should be fairly obvious how to adjust the time. Once it's correct, try Google Docs again.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Not this type of program, no. Most of the software I've downloaded online has all been Free Software (as in Free Speech, not Free Beer. Well, okay both). What can I say, I'm a cheapass. And broke.
Terralthra wrote:Anyway, fix your time in Windows, first. Double-click the time in your system tray and it should be fairly obvious how to adjust the time. Once it's correct, try Google Docs again.
Did that, it appears to be working for now. Also fixed some graphical issues with the UI that weren't obvious the first time around.
Stark wrote:I would have thought the automatic time sync would have prevented this sort of problem anyway.
That's what was confusing me, and why I didn't think the clock was the problem until checking it in Chrome. Apparently, it thinks I am the potential hacker! :lol:
Last edited by Formless on 2012-11-14 05:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

JLTucker wrote:We're assholes for pointing this out. Let him continue in his self delusion that it's Google's fault that he's experiencing these problems.
Look, before I came to you guys I -- imagine this! -- did some of my own research to try and figure out what was the problem. One thing I found was that google was updating Docs to Drive, and the way the system was behaving it appeared that the installer was necessary to make the damn thing run. What makes you an asshole is that at no point did you assume in good faith that I just wanted to either fix the problem, or barring that find a better service. You jumped to the conclusion that I was somehow an idiot that only wanted to vent at google. Your knowledge is not universal, and your smug bullshit was (and is) extremely unhelpful.

Edit: anyway, now that I know what the problem is this thread can be locked now.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Formless wrote:Well shit. I know for a fact that my computer clock is outright broken, and has been for a couple months. I think the battery died. This would be the first time that particular hardware problem has given me real issues software-wise, so I've been putting off fixing it. :/
Why exactly did you put off fixing it? You can get a CR2032 battery for less than a dollar, and changing it out is no more difficult than changing the batteries in your TV remote.

Also, you're either ignorant or lying when you say you've never seen a stub installer before. Chrome uses one, not to mention the rest of Google's desktop software, as well as a fuckton of other downloadable software like Flash.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Why I am even bothering I don't know...

Flash, Java, etc. all came standard with the computer. Chrome didn't come with such an installer when I got it, which was back when Chrome first came out. I could be misremembering, but at the very least the firewall has never had a problem with it. And as for Google's other desktop software, repeat after me: I. Don't. Use. Any of it. Why do you assume I do?

Now, why the hell is it so wrong for someone to be ignorant about computers? Especially in a thread where I am asking for HELP with a computer? All I ask is that people not assume I am a moron because I lack knowledge on the subject. There is a difference between ignorance and idiocy. But if being mocked for needing help is acceptable, I guess this is the last time I come to SDN for computer help.
Why exactly did you put off fixing it?
Because I'm relatively busy; and five minutes of work or no, when I didn't know it was causing actual problems with the computer it just wasn't high priority.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The fact that he knew there was an issue at all puts him ahead of 99% of the people that call into tech support at the ISP I work for, so you might want to consider laying off a guy for asking a simple question. As for fixing a minor part, how many of you have ever left an oil change for a few extra weeks because you were busy?
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

That's not a very good analogy, since changing your oil takes much longer and, depending on the car, can be a real pain in the ass. Changing a CMOS battery is, to co-opt my previous example, more like changing the batteries in your TV remote when the buttons start working inconsistently. It's simple, extremely cheap, and takes less than a minute.

Formless, you were mocked not for simply needing help, but for continually RAEGING at Google for something that even from your first post was clearly on your end. And for bitching about stub installers, which are arguably the dominant installation method these days, even for free software. And for just letting your time and date be weeks off instead of spending a dollar and a minute of your time to fix it. I have no problem with people who are ignorant about computers, but I do have a problem with people who are ignorant but believe that they aren't and talk out of their ass as a result.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

I take it then that you have not read the parts of the thread where I specifically ASKED if anyone else was having problems, explained that I DID do some research before concluding the problem MIGHT exist on Google's end (so, no, I wasn't talking out of my ass, you fucktard), and all the parts where I said most of the software I've downloaded is Free software where that kind of thing is NOT common, despite what you might say.

And by the way, have you ever noticed that when people have a problem with computers, they tend to get angry at them? HUH. Makes you think.

Do you want to continue acting like an ass? Because frankly, I'm not here to entertain scavengers (alternatively, tryhards looking to score easy points) trying to start an argument in a HELP thread that's already been solved. I was here to get HELP, and I got it from Terralthra days before you even saw this.