SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Simon_Jester wrote:Well, why don't you just sort of leave things on the back burner, poke in with whatever amuses you, and come back a while later when you feel you have the time.
I suppose. I do have further ideas on how Bastet should look like (six towers around the equator stretching 30000 kilometers into the sky and connected by a great ring) and changed my mind on what the appearance of the Bastians should be like (they'd resemble bipedal cheetahs rather than bipedal domestic cats).
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

How's that going to be explained? A simple retcon's too boring; we'll need galactic amnesia brought on by some really bad Vegetarion IV tofulope steaks, or something.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

It's quite simple, the Elysians stopped off on Bastet, and got into a drunk bar brawl with the kitties, then punched one of them so hard it retconed what his entire species looked like.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Oooohhh...I like that Omega. :D
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

I'd rather not have those bloody wankers involved any further than they already are. The Elysians are a punchline to a joke that has long since ceased to be even mildly humorous.

Possible compromise: Different subspecies of Bastian. One resembles the domestic cats we're already accustomed to seeing, the other resembles the common cheetah.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I got some stuff cooking in the Imperium.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:I'd rather not have those bloody wankers involved any further than they already are. The Elysians are a punchline to a joke that has long since ceased to be even mildly humorous.
:(

You really think so?

Personally, my philosophy was to avoid involving the Elysians in any events of PLOT importance; they exist to do strange and irrelevant things, not to force anyone else to 'recognize' their existence or behavior.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

You live in a very sad, uninteresting universe, Shinn. The Elysians are loads of fun; you never have to interact with them, they just exist on their own, doing their own things. The fact that those things are some of the most hilarious shit I've read in a while, well, that's just icing on the cake.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote: Possible compromise: Different subspecies of Bastian. One resembles the domestic cats we're already accustomed to seeing, the other resembles the common cheetah.
I guess that'd work, since I think I gave the Emperor black fur.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Hey, White Haven, sorry we never got around to the storyline we had planned, want to try again sometime soon?
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Give me a week to finish up my Unix final script project. Then, I'll have XCOM sorted out and UNIX sorted out and actually have free time.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Not really story related, but I'm playing around in Blender to try and design ships, and it DOES have quite the learning curve. Oh well, I'll manage. :P

EDIT: Speaking of which...how do you get Blender Models onto say, Photobucket? I want to be able to post things eventually but the website isn't being helpful.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Have you tried the age old 'Print Screen and paste to paint' trick? :P
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

:lol:

Nope, but it should work at that. :P
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

If you feel up to it, you can use lights and stuff to make renders of your models. They save as images.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I've been monkeying around with the renders. So you can save those as images? That's a relief...

Currently building the ugliest X-Wing in history for one of my friends on TFN. :P
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Well, renders ARE images. They can save as just about any image format for a single-frame render, or video for multiple-frame renders of an animation. You can also do stuff like render multiple frames and save those as images instead of a video.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Good to know. Once I get decent enough to actually render my own ships (design I can do, render is another thing) I'll start posting them too.

On the story front...working on another Arcadian post (and actually the Space Swedes this time, not the VIKINGS).
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Rendering is pretty simple, actually. I'm not entirely sure what the finer points to it in blender is, but in all render capable programs the idea is the same. You creation and adjust light sources (I use an omni light for a sun, you can use lots of different types of lights though, like directionals with a volume effect to do things like beam weapons or engine glow) and you create and position cameras to use for the render.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well in this case, I meant render as in 'make the design'. Still not used to using the terms correctly I guess. :P
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Don't have another post worked up yet, but I did just spend a couple hours designing one of my ships in Blender. Specifically the Serana class Frigate (which I decided is 'Blade' in the complete gibberish Furling language :P )

Since I don't know how to shrink pics, I'll just link to my thread over in AMP:

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 4&t=156855

It be very basic, but I'm still new at Blender, so I'm okay with that :P
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Great! Making good progress.

So, how does anyone feel about story posts?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I'm trying to work up the motivation to finish one I am working on.
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

Was going to go ahead and do something, but given how things seem to be rather quiet I decided to wait and see if the pace would pick up a bit closer to Christmas. It's not fun playing by yourself.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I can probably work something up quickly. Its just a matter of finding someone to work it up for. :P