Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Re: Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome

Post by CaptJodan »

I'm hoping the fake bleeping out will be removed on the DVD or something. It really is damned distracting otherwise. There's no reason to put it in if you're just going to have some tool clang into the microphone.
GrandMasterTyrwynn wrote: It had me at the point where they did the first establishing shot of the Galactica to a beautifully spare rendition of the classic Battlestar Galactica theme.
Same here. That was a great shot, and it was good to see the old gal not battle damaged. It's surprising how up-gunned she is.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

The DVD and BD will be uncensored.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9905
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

JLTucker wrote:
Ahriman238 wrote:Mildly annoyed by Adama's indignant self-entitled whining when he finds out the military won't always let him do what he wants.
It fits his character. Do you recall "It's a military decision" in the original series?
Which one are you talking about? The 1979 series or the 2003 series?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

JLTucker wrote:The DVD and BD will be uncensored.

Thank god, because it really is terrible censorship. They'd be better off just silencing the words.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

ray245 wrote:
JLTucker wrote:
Ahriman238 wrote:Mildly annoyed by Adama's indignant self-entitled whining when he finds out the military won't always let him do what he wants.
It fits his character. Do you recall "It's a military decision" in the original series?
Which one are you talking about? The 1979 series or the 2003 series?
The new one. I wouldn't touch the 1979 series.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Vympel wrote:
JLTucker wrote:The DVD and BD will be uncensored.

Thank god, because it really is terrible censorship. They'd be better off just silencing the words.
I thought it was funny.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Seen enough to keep me watching I suppose. I am liking how busy Galactica's flight deck, and the ship in general seems. It serves as a good counter-point to Galactica of the series, and gives a better sense of Galactica's capabilities in her prime (especially in terms of the fighter compliment). I also like the little tweaks to the Raptor so it isn't identical to the one in the series. CiC however seemed a bit off in its layout though.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

It's what CiC looked like before Adama got ahold of her and ripped out all of the computers.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Slacker wrote:It's what CiC looked like before Adama got ahold of her and ripped out all of the computers.
Slacker wrote:It's what CiC looked like before Adama got ahold of her and ripped out all of the computers.
it would be interesting if that were a plot element here, like say the Acheron got it's ass kicked because the Cylons hacked it's systems and that was why they were bringing the software engineer over in the first place. Same thing happens to Galactica, but the big G survives thanks to their plucky viper pilots.

That would explain Adama's personal reluctance to network anything, however it was also be the elephant in the room for the entire series. "Gods damnit they hacked us again? This happens every fracking time.. NO Gaeta, you're not liniking them together, NO get Anders and his bath tub out of here!"

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

So far I haven't seen any sign of the centurions that Adama and company should be most familiar with. We've seen, either in previews or what we've seen so far, are toasters that look much different than your standard Mk 1, oBSG toaster.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

CaptJodan wrote:So far I haven't seen any sign of the centurions that Adama and company should be most familiar with. We've seen, either in previews or what we've seen so far, are toasters that look much different than your standard Mk 1, oBSG toaster.
maybe those are models in service at the end of the war, the webisoes had oldschool toasters, so did the last episodes of nBSG

Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

CaptJodan wrote:So far I haven't seen any sign of the centurions that Adama and company should be most familiar with. We've seen, either in previews or what we've seen so far, are toasters that look much different than your standard Mk 1, oBSG toaster.
maybe those are models in service at the end of the war, the webisoes had oldschool toasters, so did the last episodes of nBSG

Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Looking at the screenshots of Galactica, it seems those who derided Galactica's visible "ribbed" structure are vindicated. There is little to none of that visible, much more armor plating, and a lot more guns on Galactica in "Blood and Chrome". Guess by the time we meet her in the series, she had been stripped of some of her armor and guns. Maybe in preparation for retirement.

For comparison: Blood and Chrome - http://media.battlestarwiki.org/images/ ... arence.png
Galactica as seen in the series - http://media.battlestarwiki.org/images/ ... erview.jpg
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I noticed that too, but wasn't Galactica shown in the Razor flashbacks without all that armor?

I must say, I'm also loving the look of the Vipers in this as well. They seem a lot more textured and grey than the "museum pieces" did in the series.
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

So the jump drives aboard the derelict battlestar were still active through that entire mess? The colonials build their battlestars to ridiculous levels of ruggedness.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Skylon wrote:Looking at the screenshots of Galactica, it seems those who derided Galactica's visible "ribbed" structure are vindicated. There is little to none of that visible, much more armor plating, and a lot more guns on Galactica in "Blood and Chrome". Guess by the time we meet her in the series, she had been stripped of some of her armor and guns. Maybe in preparation for retirement.

For comparison: Blood and Chrome - http://media.battlestarwiki.org/images/ ... arence.png
Galactica as seen in the series - http://media.battlestarwiki.org/images/ ... erview.jpg
Only partially vindicated, since we see in the intro to Blood and Chrome an 'armored' Galactica-type (which may even be the Galactica) next to two other Galactica-types without the armor plating, and less guns, just like in the original series.

So the more likely explanation is that Blood and Chrome is how the ship was originally designed, then they realised it was rubbish and stripped all the extra guns and armor off sometime before the end of the war (since we saw in the Razor flashbacks she looked like she did in the main series - whilst the Columbia was an intermediate design with the additional armor, but the standard number of guns)

J Ryan
Youngling

Post by J Ryan »

Skylon wrote:Looking at the screenshots of Galactica, it seems those who derided Galactica's visible "ribbed" structure are vindicated. There is little to none of that visible, much more armor plating, and a lot more guns on Galactica in "Blood and Chrome". Guess by the time we meet her in the series, she had been stripped of some of her armor and guns. Maybe in preparation for retirement.

Well in the series, from what I recall a lot of the point defence on Galactica was located in between the ribs on the sides, whereas in Blood and Chrome, from that picture you posted they appear to be located along the top side, next to the main guns. Maybe at some point in between Galactica is refit and a decision was made, to give her less armour but that allowed to expose hardpoints for more point defence, that's recessed to make them less vulnerable to attack?

Also our first view of some of the Colonial military might that isn't battlestars. Osiris seems to be really cramped in comparison and has some sort of "stealth" system, that they lose if they launch anything.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

J Ryan wrote: Also our first view of some of the Colonial military might that isn't battlestars. Osiris seems to be really cramped in comparison and has some sort of "stealth" system, that they lose if they launch anything.
It's AC system also sucks balls.

In the future of 150,000 years ago, Cylon tanks will have SA-3 missiles.
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

Vympel wrote:
J Ryan wrote: Also our first view of some of the Colonial military might that isn't battlestars. Osiris seems to be really cramped in comparison and has some sort of "stealth" system, that they lose if they launch anything.
Osiris screamed "space submarine". The cramped interior, the "battle red" lighting, the hot conditions, and the stealth that would be lost if you tried to do anything meaningful.

Some of which is just non-nonsensical, like the poor AC units. But I suppose after 10 years of war, the Colonials have given up on optimizing creature comforts like proper airflow through the CIC.

If this were to have turned into a series, I would have liked to have seen when the Cylons started corrupting ship systems. Everything just looks a little too high tech to be operating under the assumption that the Cylons can hack in. Galactica's CIC for example. The reliance of Greystone tech for training, pleasure, and briefings for another.

In truth, there's a lot here that has the potential to screw up previous canon, some of which has already been discussed. In the opening of BSG's miniseries, we have the tour which describes Galactica as built during a time when technology was the enemy, yet we don't see evidence of that. She was still one of the original 12 Battlestars. When was she built? Has she served for almost 10 years already, or she one of the newest of the 12? If its the latter, there shouldn't be too many Battlestars in the fleet, and one of them we've already seen destroyed.

Where exactly Razor fits into all of this is also unclear. Obviously Razor is at the very end of the war, about 2 years later from what we're seeing now, yet I was always under the impression that Adama was a rookie then. Of course, I'd rather he not be, as Adama always struck me as a battle hardened soldier, not someone who had one fling with the Cylons before the war ended.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

CaptJodan wrote:
Vympel wrote:
Osiris screamed "space submarine". The cramped interior, the "battle red" lighting, the hot conditions, and the stealth that would be lost if you tried to do anything meaningful.

Some of which is just non-nonsensical, like the poor AC units. But I suppose after 10 years of war, the Colonials have given up on optimizing creature comforts like proper airflow through the CIC.
For a "stealth" ship, the whole "poor AC" thing is one thing that actually makes sense. If you're trying to minimize emissions, one of the biggest sources of emissions is going to be your life-support plant; since empty space is a frosty 3 Kelvins, and humans don't function very well below about 280 Kelvin. So if you're not worried about stealth, then sure, your AC system will, at some point, dump the heat it's pulled out of your crew space into somewhere colder . . . like your cryonic fuel tanks, or hull-mounted radiators facing deep space. But if you are worried about stealth, all that shit stays inside your hull; and things just get warmer and warmer until such a time when you can safely dispose of your own waste heat.
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

CaptJodan wrote:Adama always struck me as a battle hardened soldier, not someone who had one fling with the Cylons before the war ended.
To be honest, he always seemed to me as someone whose career had been ... steady, but not spectacular. he worked his way up through the ranks with a decent enough record, no massive cock-ups but nothing really flashy, then sort of settled down after the war. His last command was as commander of a museum, after all. And then the world ends and we (and he) find out that behind a lifetime of mediocrity he is the hero after all.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Well he was the commander of a museum because of the Valkyrie debacle.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Clearly the bucket had a refit sometime, just look at CIC and the flight decks.

Interestingly, judging by those pictures Skylon posted the ribbed sections on the dorsal bow in the miniseries seem to correspond with the position of those extra heavy turrets in Blood and Chrome.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

And apparently the Osiris was carrying heretofore unseen Mark III Vipers. The evolutionary design of the basestar at Djerba was interesting too.

EDIT: Apparently that was also a Mark III that Adama was flying in the first episode. The engine nozzles and the cockpit canopies are the most noticeable visual differences, IMO.
Last edited by Galvatron on 2012-11-17 10:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Galvatron wrote:And apparently the Osiris was carrying heretofore unseen Mark III Vipers. The evolutionary design of the basestar at Djerba was interesting too.
Pretty sure those were Mark III Vipers on the Galactica.

Anyway - I noticed that the 'ghost fleet' has several Valkyrie-type Battlestars (introduced in "Hero" back in Season 3 by flashback, and seen in greater detail in "The Plan" movie). That annoys me - I know they're there just to make up numbers and are sufficiently far away / indistinct so its not confirmed that's what they are, but I don't like that sort of lazyness, ever. The Valkyrie-type was clearly an advanced / "modern" Battlestar design.