Is it Plagiarism?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Is it Plagiarism?

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

A plagiarism question - For a lot of the terms I"'m using when writing out a research paper, aspart of the introduction (Neuropeptides; Machine Learning; Neuropeptide Cleavage - Known motif model etc) I'm tempted to just copy the phrasing'/definitions from the original article near verbatim (a few words changed).

I AM Referring to the cited source(s) (both at the end of the relevant sentences/paragraphs and in my bibliography), so it's not plagiarism according to the definition I know, but it seems 'problematic' to me.
Its also something which I doubt a casual reading by the prof would catch up (without reading the original works cited), so i'm worried that she might not notice it, and thus would not know to inform me. (I do intend to ask her once the paper is in draft form).
Still, does it seem allright? We're talking about established, well known facts with direct referencing to the authors with all due credit. But I'm unsure as to the academic "Social norms".

Examples:
Me:
Neuropeptides serve as bidirectional neuromodulators, acting to modulate the activity of the presynaptic or post-synaptic cell (Kandel, 2000) (Southey Et al, 2006) (Southey 2008).

Original: (By Southey 2008):
Neuropeptides have diverse biological functions that affect
almost every brain system and neuronal network, and influence
development and behavior. Released from a neuron upon
electrical or chemical stimulation, they modulate the activity of
the presynaptic or post-synaptic cell (Kandel et al., 2000).""
Example 2:
Me:
A final tool, was the preexisting knowledge of the Known Motif cleavage model (Southey 2006) (Southey et al 2008) comprised of several prevalent motifs associated with neuropeptide precursor cleavage, *-*-Lys-Lys#, *-*-Lys-Arg#, *-*-Arg-Arg#, Arg-*-*-Lys# and Arg-*-*- Arg#, where # denotes cleavage and * denoting any (in theory) amino acid. This is possible due to the highly conserved nature of the limited number of enzymes capable of post translational endo cleavage (Including Furin.)2,1,9. This allowed us to identify and to mark suspected cleavage sites characteristic of Neuropeptides.

Original (Southey 2008):
Southey et al. (2006b) proposed a Known Motif model com-
prised of several prevalent motifs associated with neuropeptide
precursor cleavage, Xxx-Xxx-Lys-Lys#, Xxx-Xxx-Lys-Arg#,
Xxx-Xxx-Arg-Arg#, Arg-Xxx-Xxx-Lys# and Arg-Xxx-Xxx-
Arg#, where # denotes cleavage and Xxx denotes any amino
acid.
Would be happy to hear your thoughts. (Note - all the quotes provided here are from an early draft, still in the writing a first draft to the introduction stage, not anything published, binding or otherwise legal/official)

EDIT:
http://www.plagiarism.org/plag_article_ ... ation.html
What is plagiarism?

Simply put, plagiarism is the use of another's original words or ideas as though they were your own. Any time you borrow from an original source and do not give proper credit, you have committed plagiarism
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Re: Ïs it Plagiarism?

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

You are providing citations for the paraphrased content in the appropriate manner, as far as I know, which is the legit way to do it. If in doubt, though, simply quote the cited material directly in your paper. Giving an introductory phrase is also good form, e.g.:
According to Steiner-Davion, specific facts are specific (Steiner-Davion, 3050).
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

The examples you give are fine. In fact, they are both really good examples of the proper way to paraphrase and cite something in an academic paper. So I wouldn't worry about it.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Is that MLA or APA?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Knife wrote:Is that MLA or APA?
Fuck if I know. I'd guess it's not APA, seeing as how it's not a psychology article :D
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Geminon
Redshirt

Post by Geminon »

Long time lurker, first actual post. I just spent the last six hours writing an annotated bibliography for a communications course in APA format. It just depends on what the prof (or journal) wants. My parasit prof wants AMA, my Human Relations prof wants APA, my Intro to Vet Tech prof couldn't care less. As to the prof noticing, all of my profs run the document through an online resource that supposedly checks for plagiarism.
"Twinkie, twinkie, cupcake." Chris Costa, MagPul Dynamics
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

APA is used in most medicine too,not sure on biology, Aly would know.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Once I got out of gened courses in an engineering programme at least I discovered that "perfunctory APA" as I call it was the norm. The (parenthesis citation) was at the end of all paraphrased material or quoted material, and there was a bibliography, but the format was never strictly followed nor distinctions between kinds of sources made.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Once I got out of gened courses in an engineering programme at least I discovered that "perfunctory APA" as I call it was the norm. The (parenthesis citation) was at the end of all paraphrased material or quoted material, and there was a bibliography, but the format was never strictly followed nor distinctions between kinds of sources made.
That's my experience from Comp Sci. as well.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Knife wrote:APA is used in most medicine too,not sure on biology, Aly would know.
A lot of Communications courses require APA style too.
Korto
Jedi Master

Re: Is it Plagiarism?

Post by Korto »

Just a layperson's opinion; if you were plagiarizing, actually citing the sources where you were stealing the work from would be incredibly obtuse. No-one could possibly believe there was any malice involved.
That just leaves putting your work in the correct form, so back to your regular contributors.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: Is it Plagiarism?

Post by Knife »

Well yeah, basic rule, if you cite it, it's not plagiarism. There are those grammar nazi's out there who would say if your formatting isn't right, it's still plagiarism, but they're assholes.