Wreck it Ralph

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Re: Wreck it Ralph

Post by Nephtys »

Solidly enjoyed the film. Honestly, the majority of featured characters are in the start and end, and they're more of side jokes. Like Zangeif's little bits and so on. All of the main characters were from original titles, but you could clearly see the inspiration and references.

It was fun, and never had annoying kids from the real world interact in any real way which was nice and unexpected. Loved Calhoun's Backstory and Vanelope was hyperenergetic without being exceedingly annoying.

It also taught me that every time I debug code, I'm committing genocide.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Just got back from it and had a blast seeing it.

Aside from the obvious stuff like Bison and Zangief there were some fun background references in things like the graffiti in Game Central Station with stuff like 'Aerith Lives' scrawled on the walls.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Nit and I just got back from seeing it. OMG, it was a fantastic movie, and I wanna go see screencaps, just to see if all the ones I saw were really the ones I saw... like Princesses Peach and Daisy walking with Chun Li.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I saw it this weekend and had a blast. It wasn't Pixar's best, but it was still very fun. Great characters, but I really want to see screencaps of the background so I can see who I can recognize in the background.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

It wasn't Pixar's anything, since it was made by Walt Disney Animation Studios, and I'd say it's the best film they've made in a long time, though I haven't seen Tangled. It probably ranks in my top 5, and I'd say that Disney has managed to out-perform Pixar's Brave this year, which doesn't happen very often.

When I watched the trailer for the film I wondered if the negative consequences of Ralph game jumping would be some cop-out "You're messing with the source code/natural order of things!" so I was really impressed with how the conflicts of the story actually build upon the workings of the universe and makes everything feel cohesive.

It kind of bums me out that so much of the movie takes place in Sugar Rush when it would have been cool to see a couple other worlds and characters, but I'm not sure how well those would have fit into the plot, so I'm happy to wait for a sequel.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I was wondering if the "Going Turbo" emphanism would be explained, and yes, it was all that I thought it would be. << >> ^V AB Select
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Watched this with my Family and Partner last night and LOVED IT.

The best praise of the night was from my mom who said "That was ok for a PIXAR film" And then we told her it was Disney that actually produced it. I have to say you could almost forget it WAS from Disney (except for the somewhat hamey love story and the obvious "Princess" Stuff at the very end.)

The best aspects of the movie was largely that everything "Made Sense"

I was very much curious how they were going to do a whole Video game 'universe' and some how make it work. Having the world restricted to just the Arcade made it "Work" quite well. As well as the interaction simply being between each Arcade game, and not some largely Video Game universe.

I'll echo some other comments that the lack of Human interaction was very well done and was something I was REALLY worried about at first when I saw that little girl in the start.

One thing that me and my brother discussed... The Movie states that the Wreck-It game was 30 years old. This would put it's orginal date at late 1982. I know I shouldn't pick knits, but I am not too sure that, given the level of graphics involved (16bit at least) that the game could have existed as we saw it. Shoot Donkey Kong was 1981, and that was barely 8bit.
That said the game it self I can easilly see a game LIKE that existing back in the early 80's and beign rather popular. I wonder how long before Disney actually produces various "Surger Rush / Hero's Duty" video games to cash in on them.

EDIT: Oh something else that was nagging me... "Why Q-Bert?"
The movie gave nods to quite a few popular and treasured games from our past and I can think of many others. But I am still surprised Q-Bert was added as an "unplugged" game. I remember him, but very few other people did, kids in the theater seemed to have no clue what he was. ANyone know if someone on the team just liked Q-Bert perhaps?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!