Dresden Cold Days Nov 27th

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

dragon
Sith Marauder

Dresden Cold Days Nov 27th

Post by dragon »

Yes! :D This should be interesting.
Spoiler
After being murdered by a mystery assailant, navigating his way through the realm between life and death, and being brought back to the mortal world, Harry realizes that maybe death wasn’t all that bad. Because he is no longer Harry Dresden, Chicago’s only professional wizard.

He is now Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness. After Harry had no choice but to swear his fealty, Mab wasn’t about to let something as petty as death steal away the prize she had sought for so long. And now, her word is his command, no matter what she wants him to do, no matter where she wants him to go, and no matter who she wants him to kill.
link

Saved the uninitiated from having the last two awesome books spoilerized.- Steve
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Dresden Cold Days Nov 27th

Post by LadyTevar »

Well, I see what I'm getting for Xmas
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

LadyTevar wrote:Well, I see what I'm getting for Xmas
So no spoiling it for you then. I know the day it's released is the day I load it onto my ipad.
Hum Tuesday might have to take the day off.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Slow down, hon... you still have another month. NOVEMBER, not October :-P

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Awesome. But by the way, you may want to blob out that blurb with spoilertag. Since it you know, kinda spoils multiple books worth of major events :)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hmmm. I dunno. Changes basically killed a lot of interest i had in this franchise. I am interested that...
Spoiler
..he's still bound by the deal with the winter queen after however he ressurects in cold days. I mean I'd ssumed he was going to get out of it simply by 'the deal was I was knight until i died. I died, we're even'
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Crazedwraith wrote:Hmmm. I dunno. Changes basically killed a lot of interest i had in this franchise. I am interested that...
Spoiler
..he's still bound by the deal with the winter queen after however he ressurects in cold days. I mean I'd ssumed he was going to get out of it simply by 'the deal was I was knight until i died. I died, we're even'
Spoiler
So did Harry. The slight problem being that he didn't actually die, Mab was able to keep him alive when she realised what was happening and wasn't going to let him get out of his deal by something as easily preventable as death.

Half of the point of Ghost Story is just how colossal a fuckup what Harry did in Changes was, and how the fallout is affecting people he cared about.
Malivotti
Redshirt

Post by Malivotti »

Just to let the Dresden fans know the first chapter of 'Cold Days' is up on Jim Butcher's web site. Read at your own peril as I find the Dresden Files to be some of the best literary crack out there. Now excuse me I have to read the chapter. :)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The first two chapters are in the paperback version of Ghost Story as well.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

I like Mab's physical therapy methodology. Good to see Harry's still in shape. Or back in shape, as it were.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Spoiler
What Harry did in Changes was kind of iffy. I mean I get that a lot of shit came out (massive supervillain free for all, widespread chaos, Molly's damaged sanity) but at the same time the power of a faction that is more evil than the Hitler Stalin, Mao and many other monsters from history combined has been broken after millennia. What if he had failed? What if the Red court won? What world would they have ushered in if they won the war (a likely outcome if the ritual had succeeded with it's intended target)?
I also get the fact that most of the bad crap could have been avoided (Arianna gunned for Ebeneezer and thus Maggie because Harry had refused to cooperate with ortega, or that they could have left if Harry had seen through Big Red's ploy) but at the same time) but it's also important to realize that the only way to make ammends is to make sure you don't make the same mistake twice.
Loved Cat sith and the ticking croc.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Gaidin wrote:I like Mab's physical therapy methodology. Good to see Harry's still in shape. Or back in shape, as it were.
I pulled up Foo-Fighters' "Walk" just to be in tune with the scene. Works perfectly.

But yes, so far we have a Princess Bride reference, a Peter Pan reference, and a Fae-cat bigger than Mouse.

Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Sadly it's leaving me sort of cold so far. I think it's largely because the most interesting part of the book is going to be how everyone else reacts to Dresden, and that hasn't happened yet.
Spoiler
I doubt anyone but Mab, Cat Sith, Leah and the nurse, from winter at least, even know Harry is the new Knight/alive. Bob or Toot might know, and everyone else went from having hope to being sure he was dead as of Ghost Story. I want to see how they react to finding out hes alive and nastier than before. That and I want to know how Dresden reacts. Does he get a new car/office/apartment and try to go back to old Dresden or does he set up shop in the Kinghts Chambers and work from there. Will he get a new coat or did that die with Susan. Does Mouse come back or does he live with Maggie now? Because Changes indicated there was a point to him actually being with Dresden, so where does that leave him? Does Marcone shit at the idea of having to fight Dresden for magical control of Chicago again?I want those questions answered dammit, not an admittedly kind of funny scene where Mab proves to still be scary as hell or a cat bitches at people.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Darth Yan wrote:Spoiler
What Harry did in Changes was kind of iffy. I mean I get that a lot of shit came out (massive supervillain free for all, widespread chaos, Molly's damaged sanity) but at the same time the power of a faction that is more evil than the Hitler Stalin, Mao and many other monsters from history combined has been broken after millennia. What if he had failed? What if the Red court won? What world would they have ushered in if they won the war (a likely outcome if the ritual had succeeded with it's intended target)?
I also get the fact that most of the bad crap could have been avoided (Arianna gunned for Ebeneezer and thus Maggie because Harry had refused to cooperate with ortega, or that they could have left if Harry had seen through Big Red's ploy) but at the same time) but it's also important to realize that the only way to make ammends is to make sure you don't make the same mistake twice.
Loved Cat sith and the ticking croc.
Spoiler
I think that's why you have to take Changes in with the books following it. Changes was very up front about the fact that Harry was quite literally going "The world can burn. That's my daughter." Ghost Story and Cold Days are basically him seeing the consequences of him saying the world can burn. He saw what happens to everyone else in Ghost Story(Molly's sanity, Murphy's alliance with Marcone, etc). Cold Days he sees what really happens to him. It's like a one-two gutshot of maybe some things aren't worth everything.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

As of the end of Ghost Story, Mouse is staying with Maggie as one of her protectors. Considering who's adopted her, he's just icing on the cake....

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote:As of the end of Ghost Story, Mouse is staying with Maggie as one of her protectors. Considering who's adopted her, he's just icing on the cake....
I did kinda tear up when Harry found out where Maggie was staying.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

it would be.... interesting to see what the new dynamics for the franchise is. Also, we're halfway through the series right? Or 3/4 based on the old timeline?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

PainRack wrote:it would be.... interesting to see what the new dynamics for the franchise is. Also, we're halfway through the series right? Or 3/4 based on the old timeline?
Butcher has said that Changes was the mid-point of the series. The exact number of books before the finale trilogy probably depends on which colleges Butcher's kids get accepted to.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

it's been released so if anyones finished bring on the spoilers. is maggie jr in it
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Got it last ight, finished it this afternoon. ~4.3 hours reading give or take.
I Really enjoyed it. Enjoyable characterization, characters, mythology, and finally some progress on the "Big Bad"of the overall series.

There were weak points, such as how half the characters reacted waay to mildly to Harry's ressurection, and the overall power creep of upping the Ante. (The outsiders, Nemesis, the Gates [AKA the Wall - I can't believe he didn't make a GOT reference there!] and the Well).

I really liked it :D.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

damn I forgot it was out, and I made the stupid post :banghead: . And of course since I just got out of the bath I am not going to get dressed and drive all the away to the store.
I'll have to pick it up tomorrow :( :( :(
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Man, I'd never realized how boring and small-scale Changes was.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

I just finished Cold Days last night...

As the saying goes... :shock:
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

So, yeah. I liked it more than Changes or Ghost Story, but I still think the high point of the series to date was around books 8 9 and 10. The power creep is starting to bother me a bit now.
Spoiler
I though a big part of the reason Outsiders were so hard to fight is because magic doesn't want to stick to them, but now we have them being fought almost entirely by a magical army, and Dresden can hammer them like any other reasonably tough monster. Which is annoying. That said, Winter and Summer as a whole make a lot more sense now, Winter will sacrifice anything because it is fighting a war it absolutely cannot loose, and Summer can afford top be a lot nicer because it has almost none of the same issues. I also like the way the Mantle of the Winter Knight seems to be designed to make one mortal very powerful, provided they are smart, strong willed and fundamentally decent, the instant they take it for granted or forget it it makes them very vulnerable to attack from anyone halfway smart (all of the Fae queens, and a lot of their more powerful advisers)

We have pretty good evidence for Lash still living in Harrys head. Demonreach either has a good sense of humour or that's likely to be bad for Harry long term, the White Council now seems more useless than it ever has, very few members actually know half of what is happening, outside the SC I'd put good money on none of them having it. Lara Raith has probably been hit by Nemesis given what Thomas said about her seizing a lot more power more openly than the courts usually do.

I'm kind of sad Maeve kicked it, she was nuts as hell but kind of fun, and I like the way it was sort of implied that the other mythologies are tied in a lot closer with the Fae than was implied before. Odin and Kringle appear to be connected, I won;t be surprised if the most powerful name that Mother Winter and mother Summer have been known by is one the White God or Gaia or any other creator has been known by.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

So, something that occurred to me. Does it seem to anyone that the Winter Knight's role is kind of limited, given how much importance it seems to be given? I mean, yeah he's the only one in Winter who can kill a mortal not connected to the fey, but really, how often is Mab going to have a need to cap a bitch who isn't involved with the fey to begin with?
Spoiler
A friend of mine suggested he's needed to go after Outsider summoners, but if that's all it was Mab could just as easily tip off the Gatekeeper and/or the Wardens.