Halo: Forward Unto Dawn (SPOILERS POSSIBLY)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Halo: Forward Unto Dawn (SPOILERS POSSIBLY)

Post by gigabytelord »

I'm wondering if any one else has seen or is interested in this live action series on YouTube, only three episodes are up at the moment, I think its actually going to be a long term series, but I'm not sure.

Linkage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfJVgXBfSH8

One thing has me a tad bit confused, the events in the show are apparently happening at the same time of the games, yet no one knows anything about the war, now I've played the games, but that's about it, never really got into the hole MC RULES YEAH! stuff that seems so common, and I talked to several people about it and they said something to the effect that the war was a hidden war or some such, then there's the apparent civil war that's going on.

Well, to put it short, watching this has made me take a slight interest in the back story a little more, might actually open up the Halo novel I have and read it now.

EDIT: I just realized that I probably should have posted this in the sci-fi forums, instead of Off-topic...
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Re: Halo: Forward Unto Dawn (SPOILERS POSSIBLY)

Post by Agent Fisher »

Nah, this is from the early part of the war, when the UNSC was fighting insurrectionists. Lasky is gonna be a character in Halo 4.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Agent Fisher wrote:Nah, this is from the early part of the war, when the UNSC was fighting insurrectionists. Lasky is gonna be a character in Halo 4.
Ah, interesting.

On a different note the end of Ep. 3 was... hair raising to say the least.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

gigabytelord wrote:One thing has me a tad bit confused, the events in the show are apparently happening at the same time of the games, yet no one knows anything about the war, now I've played the games, but that's about it, never really got into the hole MC RULES YEAH! stuff that seems so common, and I talked to several people about it and they said something to the effect that the war was a hidden war or some such, then there's the apparent civil war that's going on.
At the time of Halo 4, Lasky is a Commander aboard the UNSC Infinity. Forward Unto Dawn is a flashback to his youth, before the war with the Covenant and the SPARTAN program were common knowledge. At the time the UNSC was at war with a variety of insurrectionist groups, who are largely absent from the games - they get mentioned in Halo: Reach and appear in a very minimal way in Halo Wars. They're more prominent in the licensed material, and pretty much the weakest element of the entire franchise.
gigabytelord wrote:Well, to put it short, watching this has made me take a slight interest in the back story a little more, might actually open up the Halo novel I have and read it now.
Do not.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

It looks like more "academy story" stuff after watching the first two episodes, so I'll probably pass on the rest until the last one comes out. The pre-Covenant insurrectionist conflicts are only interesting to me in that they make the creation of the SPARTAN program rather amusing.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

It's a fair bet that as of the third episode there is no more stuff about academy life or fighting rebels.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Really? Then I think I'll start watching again.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Post by aieeegrunt »

Wow, Elite with sword verses school children. Stabby stabby.

I started watching this when the 4rth episode came out. Not bad, not bad at all. The NERD RAGE I'd seen about this sucking before I watched it just reinforces my belief that nerds are hyperbolic idiots.

Minor Episode 4 Spoiler
Spoiler
The slo mo pistol headshot montage was a nice shout out to the CE fans. Try that with a BR!
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I thought Episode 4 was pretty cool, too. The Elites looked good, and the Chief's armor looked a lot better than I thought it would live-action.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Guardsman Bass wrote:I thought Episode 4 was pretty cool, too. The Elites looked good, and the Chief's armor looked a lot better than I thought it would live-action.
Yeah the way the Elites are being shown in this series, makes them seem way more frightening (maybe threatening?) than they had ever been in the Games, of course this a personal opinion, and yeah that armor looked damned nice.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I watched the final episode. Pretty good stuff, although I thought the Hunter didn't look so great (unlike the Elites in the previous video).
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It was pretty good, even if the Chief isn't supposed to meet Hunters until Sigma Octanus Iv (but that's nitpicky, it was still cool).

Incidentally, UNSC Infinity seemed to have a huge fleet with it. Must have been a reasonable chunk of the UNSC's remaining forces.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

"Controlled burst, don't spray and pray" Hehe its kind of funny to see gamer speak used in something like this.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

I'm pretty sure the term 'spray and pray' was in use well before video games became popular.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Incidentally, UNSC Infinity seemed to have a huge fleet with it. Must have been a reasonable chunk of the UNSC's remaining forces.
This is more than five years after the end of the war IIRC. Plenty of time for the UNSC to have re-built at least a few ships. Especially if they still have the resources to construct something as massive as the Infinity
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

True. I hadn't realised it was five years later, I thought it was only a year or so. Cortana must be approaching the end of her life then, smart AI's only last seven years.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Darksider wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Incidentally, UNSC Infinity seemed to have a huge fleet with it. Must have been a reasonable chunk of the UNSC's remaining forces.
This is more than five years after the end of the war IIRC. Plenty of time for the UNSC to have re-built at least a few ships. Especially if they still have the resources to construct something as massive as the Infinity
It helps that they're no longer in a war where they have to keep everything secret and hidden from potential Covenant observers. They can do all manner of operations and interstellar travel that wouldn't have been safe to do while the war was still on.

I think Cortana's actually past her seven year life-span, into her eighth year. That's why she seems to be going crazy.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Which makes things even more interesting, since in First Strike she speculates she may have burned away years of her life with lll the Halo data. Hmm. I suppose she could have put herself in hibernation for a while.

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Heh, I just realized that if the web series is set in 2525, then the Master Chief was 14 when he carried off that rescue. :D
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Exactly. That's why when Fred and Kelly removed their helmets, the cadets asked just how old were they.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

He's a big and gruff 14-year-old, then - which makes some sense. I think the fluff describes him as being huge for his age even before he went through all the augmentations.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I liked it well enough once the action got started. It was probably a good call to keep Grunts out of it, the few shots of Jackals looked kinda ridiculous.

The Chief's running off to the high ground to take care of the Jackals pinning down the squad reminded me of the many times I had to do similar things in Halo 2.

I agree that the Chief looked excellent.

So apparently the Infinity is part of the new game. How closely tied is this film to the franchise and it's development?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

It tells you how Lasky knows the Chief and why the Infinity is at Requiem during Halo 4, that's about it. One of the messages from Lasky's brother mentions a planet seen in Halo Wars, so I guess there's that too.

Edit: Lasky's previous meeting with the Chief isn't particularly relevant to the game, either. I think it's like 2 lines from Lasky and Chief gives no sign he recognizes him.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Of course not, for Lasky, the day Master Chief saved him was the most important day of his life. But for Chief, it was Tuesday.
aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Post by aieeegrunt »

Why can't we assasinate Hunters like that in any of the games?