Minecraft: Earth 1:1 Scale

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Stormin
Jedi Knight

Minecraft: Earth 1:1 Scale

Post by Stormin »

Bit old, but I haven't seen it posted
http://www.lo-ping.org/2011/05/29/earth ... -to-scale/
Sweet mother of God, it’s the autist motherlode! The industrial folks over at MinecraftForum.net have collaborated to create the ultimate experience in exploratory MineCraft. After downloading the map, players can explore a fully playable 1:1 Planet Earth that includes cities, rivers, and caves, along with the appropriate biomes and ore-dumps.
The creators described it as follows:
“The world is fully playable (includes ores, trees, etc). Elevation has been scaled to fit the constraints of a Minecraft world. Sea level was adjusted to 40 blocks which puts Mt. Everest at 121 blocks high. The Earth was generated with various images from NASA (including landmass, satellite, elevation, and vegetation maps) using a custom python script incorporating codewarrior’s pymclevel python library.”
You can download the map here, but be warned: The file is a 450MB file, that uncompresses to 3.5GB. At the time of the writing, the server hosting the files were overloaded and we were told it would take up to 10 hours do download.

I've started my download already.
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Re: Minecraft: Earth 1:1 Scale

Post by Stormin »

Because the link in the article is dead, here's the ones that work.

http://inai.de/files/downloads.earthmap.minecraft.us/ <-direct download

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:88264F60CE89934C9720E52BB0E46F3CCAC0A1AE&dn=world.rar&tr=udp%3a//tracker.publicbt.com%3a80/announce&tr=http%3a//open.tracker.thepiratebay.org/announce&tr=udp%3a//tracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80/announce <- Torrent magnet link
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

Minecraft is now an educational tool, teaching geography in a more fun way.

I bet Notch never expected this. :D
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

anyone downloaded it? Going by the source link, it isn't a 1:1 map. It's 1 block = 1 sq nautical mile. Quite a compression.

Here are some screenshots, btw. Looks pretty awesome.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

It may not be 1:1, but it has to be scaled to work within the constraints of MC.

I'm downloading it now. I want to see this myself.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

DarkSilver wrote:It may not be 1:1, but it has to be scaled to work within the constraints of MC.

I'm downloading it now. I want to see this myself.

If memory serves, Minecraft is theoretically able to create a map with 8 times the surface area of the Earth.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

It's very theoretical, though. Eventually coordinate errors get you.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

According to the MC wiki, the Beta map generator could make a world over 9 million times the surface area of the Earth. Of course, most of that is the Far Lands, which is buggy as all hell. And that's only an estimate based on where chunks start being overwritten.

The current map generator can make a normally functioning world up to about 7 times the surface area of the Earth. 60,000,000 blocks square. At 32,000,000 blocks out from the world's center, physics starts to fail and you get blocks that are non-solid.