Paris's Choice RAR

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Carinthium
BANNED

Paris's Choice RAR

Post by Carinthium »

(Note: A mixture of bad health and being busy means I'm not in a state to think too intelligently, so I'm going to just ask people their views and not comment since I can't properly)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_(mythology)

Assumptions:
-You are in Paris's posistion, with the prospects of sucess and failure
-You have your knowledge of Greek myth in general, but don't know things relating to Paris/the Trojan War- that is OOC info you can't use.
-In the case of inconsistent myths where Paris wouldn't know, you've heard conflicting stories and haven't verified either version
-Slight potential variation: Aphrodite being genuinely the most beautiful vs the three being equally beautiful.
-What you want out of life and your personality remains the same, but somehow you're in this posistion anyway

What would you do?
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Re: Paris's Choice RAR

Post by Ahriman238 »

Straight up myth with no alteration RAR? That's new.

The obvious choice is Athena, she's most consistent in her blessings and favor. Love of the world's most beautiful woman? For how long, and how will it end? King of the World? Same question. Wisest man in the world and never loses a fight? Not really something anyone but the gods can take away. And if I wanted to be king of the world (I don't) now I have the option of getting there the hard way.

Of course, prince of a wealthy and civilized nation when it happens will suit me just fine. I can live in luxury while playing around at making people's lives better and nevermind the filthy barbarians around the Aegean.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Before delivering my choice, I'd say I could not render a verdict that no harm be done to me or my fellows for the decision being made.

Because I know my myths and Gods are pricks.

Int he end, I'd go with Athena -- and Justify it. If Aphrodite is the most physically beautiful off the gods, I'd say Beauty is more than that. Talents, skills for long term care -- those all exist in both Hera and Athena. But Athena edged out as simply a mater of the judge's wants as a young man. her Talents have a broader range and greater attraction for Young Man. Therefore, she is the most Beautiful of the three to the judge.

By choosing one Judge, they have to abide by his opinion primarily.

. . .

I'm so getting Thunderbolted.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Hottes chick there man. Bada-bing!
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well wait a second... I'm me... just in Paris's body basically... so, I am literally like God's gift to women?

Sheeeeeit, I tell the Gods to hold their Trojan Horses and I go on a "I'm too sexy for my shirt" world tour. I mean we are talking sex with pretty much any woman I want PRE STDs! Jackpot!

The worst thing that happens is that I start a war right? :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Havok wrote:Well wait a second... I'm me... just in Paris's body basically... so, I am literally like God's gift to women?

Sheeeeeit, I tell the Gods to hold their Trojan Horses and I go on a "I'm too sexy for my shirt" world tour. I mean we are talking sex with pretty much any woman I want PRE STDs! Jackpot!

The worst thing that happens is that I start a war right? :lol:
Wait, what?

You think the body of a shepherd makes you "God's gift to women?"
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Dude... he was so good looking that his beauty betrayed his royalty. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

wasn't that AFTER Aphrodite blessed him?

the problem I have is if you pick athena, you get aphrodite and hera after you. Permanent impotence, warts and halitosis and then I get to spend my life running from Hera ala Hercules.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

You are screwed if you pick any of the three.

My way is much better. :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

I'm with Gojira. Before rendering any decision, extract binding oaths from all three not to seek any retribution for my choice. The Olympians are reknowned for their petty vindictiveness, so you have to do something to protect yourself.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

must resist temptation to make bad voyager joke about siccing ones pregnant klingon girlfriend on the spartans.

have to go with give apple to eris' twin sister, (this obviously brlongs to truth and harmony since it's from discord)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Flameblade
Youngling

Post by Flameblade »

Option 1: I mix mythologies and split the apple into three equal parts, saying that no mere mortal's eyes could possibly judge this contest properly.

Option 2: I smash the apple, then snort it.
"Saying science is retarded on the internet is like dissing oxygen out loud." --- Rye
The plural of anecdote is not data and the plural of datum is not proof.
The act of burning up in the Earth's atmosphere is simply your body's effort to dispute the Earth's insistence that you travel at the same speed. The ground is the Earth's closing argument.
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

Actually this is a classic. Several women ask you to rate them, you're f-ed.

The best thing is to negotiate on your own terms, ask Aphrodite for your choice in women, Athena is probably the wisest option, the least likely to backfire, but the least likely to benefit one's self, Hera. Well, you can't really have any of the options offered without the other two.
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I still figure that knowing who the apple is from giving it to eris' sister who nade no claim for iy\t would actually work as Ares and Aphrodite;s kid primary job is patching these kinda things up. I just wish I could remember yhe name of the goddess of harmony

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:I still figure that knowing who the apple is from giving it to eris' sister who nade no claim for iy\t would actually work as Ares and Aphrodite;s kid primary job is patching these kinda things up. I just wish I could remember yhe name of the goddess of harmony
Harmonia
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/h/harmonia.html
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Interesting Scenario.

First, I request they elevate me to divinity, even temporarily, as no mortal is qualified to judge divine beauty.

Then, I point out to them Discord is probably doing this to get them upset with each other and cause problems.

Then, if they STILL want me to judge, I do so on the condition they accept the judgement, and no consequences towards mortals.
Zeus and every other Olympian Deity has to agree to reinforce this clause.

Then, I tell them I've made my decision, and give up my divinity.

Then I ask them "So, which one wants to marry me, elevate me to divinity for permanent, have a family, and not horse around on me with another male?"

Then, if they decide to blow me apart or smite me or something, I give the Apple to Perspheone, so she can talk Hades into transfering me to Elysium.
(Cause I know those three are about to send me to afterlife).
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

I give the apple to Persephone, and ask her to put in a good word with Hades for me so I become basically immortal.

Then the other three goddesses team up to capture me, tie me to a rock and drip acid in my eyes for the next thousand years, and I curse whatever fates got me stuck dealing with Olympus.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff