Ryanverse

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Ryanverse

Post by K. A. Pital »

It came to my mind that Clancy actually made a story where all American war fantasies are basically fulfilled - and to a far greater extent than even many conservatives would think.

It would be so nice if milwankers just stuck reading this and imagining it, instead of actually trying to actively make the world feel more like these novels. Which is a pretty horrible world by any account. What's up with that fantasy? It is not enough to defeat Japan once, it is necessary to killify them again. It is not enough to be on more or less friendly terms with China at last, it is necessary to make war with them. It is necessary to subdue every nation on Earth to America, kill every hostile leader with the use of assassination (I guess Clancy spent nights masturbating over how the US finally poisons or otherwise kills Castro :lol: ), and repeatedly say that Democrats are destroying America while good Republicans "won't tolerate attacks on our citizens anywhere".

I wonder how long a real Jack Ryan would sit in the White House.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Re: Ryanverse

Post by Phantasee »

Forever. Repeal the 22nd amendment!
XXXI
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Ryan/Clark 2012
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Tom Clancy is like if Burt Gummer wrote novels.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Tom Clancy's beliefs are rather simple - US foreign policy is incapable of creating long-term alliances and thus strong USA USA USA is needed.

And then he went on masturbating over his many Mary Sues.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

I used to love reading Clancy novels when I was 10-12.

Then I grew up.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
eyl
Jedi Knight

Post by eyl »

atg wrote:I used to love reading Clancy novels when I was 10-12.

Then I grew up.
Well, it's also that the later books aren't as good as the earlier ones (compare Hunt for Red October to Executive Orders, for example.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Is he still writing?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

eyl wrote: Well, it's also that the later books aren't as good as the earlier ones (compare Hunt for Red October to Executive Orders, for example.
Hunt for Red October is OK. However some of his early stuff still includes gems like Ryan lecturing the Queen of England...
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

atg wrote:Hunt for Red October is OK. However some of his early stuff still includes gems like Ryan lecturing the Queen of England...
I thought it was Prince Charles he lectured, which is somewhat more forgiveable because... well, it's Prince Charles.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

No, no, no. With Prince Charles he berates him, essentially calling him a pussy, for having any doubts and what was essentially PTSD over his actions during the assassination attempt on his wife and child.

Ugh
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

I think I have a copy somewhere still so I'll try to post the quotes later.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Last good book he wrote was Without Remorse.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well you can always go for Red Storm Rising. :P
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I've only read The Hunt for the Red October, and one thing I did notice, was that during the Soviet Union vs the United States Navy maneuvers against each other, was that the US won every time when it came to them playing close calls against each other.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I think it was Teeth of the Tiger where I realized quite suddenly that the books weren't fun anymore, and hadn't been for a while.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I re-read the Jack Ryan chronicles recently as a study in my own patience (and as a break from reading horrific histories of colonialism and the like). It's hilarious how as time goes on not only do his politics become more overt, but his writing degrades horribly, he reuses the same words and phrases over and over throughout the book. Literally the same phrase. Again. And again. And again. Sometimes it's because I think he's learned a new word and is trying to show it off as much as possible.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Which is why the only one I read is Red Storm Rising...detached from the Ryanverse, an early book, and a book that was co-authored. Much better that way. :P
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I tried to read the Hunt for Read October but the infodumps put me to sleep.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I got up to The Bear and the Dragon but my dad warned me away from Teeth of the Tiger. Frankly, Bear and the Dragon was pretty shite as is. The last Ryan book I actually enjoyed (chronologically) was The Sun of All Fears.

The Hunt for Red October still sets the standard for me though.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Without Remorse was so much better than...literally anything else he wrote that I had doubts it was actually a Clancy book. But it still had Clancy stuff in it: bad guys are all dumb, Clark suceeds in everything, etc.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Ahriman238 wrote:I think it was Teeth of the Tiger where I realized quite suddenly that the books weren't fun anymore, and hadn't been for a while.

I seriously think Teeth of the Tiger was ghostwritten though. For one thing it isn't a 2000 page impenetrable tome.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

I'm going to echo recommending Red October, Without Remorse and Red Storm Rising.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Cardinal of the Kremlin was easily his best book. Larry Bond was essentially a co-author of RSR, IIRC.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Lonestar wrote:
Ahriman238 wrote:I think it was Teeth of the Tiger where I realized quite suddenly that the books weren't fun anymore, and hadn't been for a while.

I seriously think Teeth of the Tiger was ghostwritten though. For one thing it isn't a 2000 page impenetrable tome.
All his recent stuff is, isn't it?
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson