Dishonored

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Dishonored

Post by weemadando »

After 2 missions this game seems to be what it was claiming - Thief-y, Deus Ex-y goodness.

The art looks great - the way they've stylised the characters helps it along a lot. I'm keen to play more. In fact, I think I'll be completing Dishonored before looking at XCOM.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: Dishonored

Post by weemadando »

I've heard that there if you go max violence as the crow flies it can be 5hrs.

As a sneaky bastard completionist it's more like 15.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Yah, it seems more hitman in appeal than thief tbh. I was considering reconsidering hating it until it came out lol.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Apparently later missions will change if you've been captain stabby man and keep getting a high chaos score.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Nothing I love in a game more than fake player choice. :V

Ando, let us know in a few hours when you've got to the later stuff. Apparently (once again) the powers are pretty imba but I'm curious how early this happens to non-retards (ie people who can read skill descriptions).
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

It's a lot more Deus Ex than Hitman thus far - each level seems to be a "hub" of sorts with lots of side quest NPCs.

And fuck me is it lethal. I've died a whole bunch of times as even a street thug will murder the Royal Bodyguard/Assassin chosen by the gods. BY BREATHING FIRE ON YOU.

I went undetected in one segment just now by using the "Blink" power to teleport behind someone, choke them out and hustle their body out of sight before blinking back to cover. BTW, enemy LoS is long and not obstructed easily - that dark shadowy area under the spiral staircase behind the stack of rat cages? Yeah, they'll spot a body there.

Imbalance may happen later, but when even bog standard guys are this capable? I'll take more powers please.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

hence why I went with the power that turns the ones you kill to ash, no more hiding bodies. Im just playing it on normal, but going straight non-lethal seems to be a real pain at the moment.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Playing non-lethal is actually staggeringly easy with the see-through-walls and blink powers, especially when they're fully upgraded and you've got the bone-charm that lets you choke guys unconscious in half a second. I actually got very bored of playing a no-kill run, because it gets very repetitive just sneaking up on/teleporting behind some dude, choking him unconscious, dumping his body out of sight and repeating it on all his buddies.

So I started up a "kill everyone in sight" playthrough and that is much, much more entertaining.

Also, any Aussies who are interested in the game but turned off by the $80 price on Steam, you can grab it for $48 from GreenManGaming.com. $60 with 20% off from the discount voucher shown on the front page. Comes with a Steam key.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

People who like no kill stealth ironman runs love that boredom. Playing no kill stealth ironman was actually EASIER in DEHR than regular fighting because the weapons and powers were so unbalanced, but you missed out on exciting firefights and it was super lame.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Stark wrote:People who like no kill stealth ironman runs love that boredom. Playing no kill stealth ironman was actually EASIER in DEHR than regular fighting because the weapons and powers were so unbalanced, but you missed out on exciting firefights and it was super lame.
Yeah, and Human Revolution really punished a non-sneaky play through in many respects, giving signifant xp rewards and the like, while making some varieties of ammo difficult to get a decent amount of.

The combat in Dishonored is actually quite fun, and doesn't have a lot of the problems that were in DXHR. Stealthy no-kill is just painfully boring, though. I need a "punch dudes unconscious in a straight fight option" to make me bother attempting non-lethal again.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Cycloneman
Padawan Learner

Post by Cycloneman »

World's greatest assassin discovered. No hostile actions, no stealth, no magic where people can see you, the target dies. Found over at the Something Awful forums.

A bedroom is not the place for whale oil (Lady Boyle):

Sometimes all you need to do is show up (Lord Regent):