NCAA Football 2012 Season

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Re: NCAA Football 2012 Season

Post by CarsonPalmer »

I haven't had this much fun watching Notre Dame since my first year as a fan in 1998. Since the. I've been waiting for defensive catastrophe, but this year, they look very solid.

And Michigan is not great, but when youre facing a player capable of running for an 80 touchdown on any given play and just pursue solidly all day...you're in good shape.

Bring on Miami.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Floyd of Rosedale is staying in Iowa City after 2 years way. :D
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

clemson vs boston college is pretty good.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Goddamn Björn Werner, why do you have to play so good? You make it impossible for the Ravens to take you.

(He just took the right tackle of Florida and bullrushed him 8 yards back.)
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Man, Broncos. Way to take a 25-0 lead at half and turn it into a nail-biter. This team has shown really good play, but it's the most inconsistent team I've seen fielded by BSU in... ever. /

Well, a win is a win, even if it's ugly as hell. That seems to have become the motto of the season.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Bama looked sloppy against Ole Miss. The Rebels also moved the ball effectively against the Tide. Lots of work to do in the off-week, and imagine Saban will be ripping into his kids and assistant coaches.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

And BSU has dropped out of the rankings, again. Well, no big. We're not getting a BCS bowl this year, anyways.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Hah, Notre Dame allowed 3 TD's to Stanford in overtime and none of them counted. Good to see they still get the ridiculous home cooking.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Block wrote:Hah, Notre Dame allowed 3 TD's to Stanford in overtime and none of them counted. Good to see they still get the ridiculous home cooking.
3 TDs? Only the last one was even close. Forward progress was clearly stopped on that, too, and it's not even clear he had possession going over the goal line.

Also, we could have used home cooking the last time College Gameday was at Notre Dame and an obvious penalty was not called on the games biggest play.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Nah, he made it on second down easily as well. 4th down was indisputable with out any doubt a touchdown. It was 100% clear he didn't lose posession until he slammed the ball on the ground in the end zone. If you're still whining about when USC beat you years ago, it wouldn't have been close if in the second half holding calls still existed for ND. Every single game in South Bend, doesn't matter who they're playing, holding no longer exists for ND.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Block wrote:Nah, he made it on second down easily as well. 4th down was indisputable with out any doubt a touchdown. It was 100% clear he didn't lose posession until he slammed the ball on the ground in the end zone. If you're still whining about when USC beat you years ago, it wouldn't have been close if in the second half holding calls still existed for ND. Every single game in South Bend, doesn't matter who they're playing, holding no longer exists for ND.
He made it on second down EASILY? Nobody vaguely credible has even suggested that.

What's impossible to tell is when the refereeing crew ruled him down. His knee clearly didn't touch, but forward progress looked stopped; if that's what was called, the play was over well before he hit the ten.

Oh well. It's impossible to convince someone who hates a team of something like that, and that's the way football goes. The Irish defense continues to play superbly and Tommy Rees coming cold off the bench for the last drive and delivering on 2nd and 17 in overtime saved the day.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Damn it, Utah lost again. At least it was close, and they put up a fight for the whole game.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Damn it, Utah lost again. At least it was close, and they put up a fight for the whole game.
I've been cheering for Utah in the PAC-Whatever ever since they moved. It's a case of me wanting a former mid-major to perform well. Unfortunately, they haven't so far. However, they did lose a star of a QB. Hey, at least you guys beat BYU. *shrug*
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The first BCS rankings are out and of course everyone is bitching about them. There are certainly some freaky shenanigans going on, mostly in how the human polls work but I think the computer polls have a tendency to leave things out. It seems like there should be some way to give credit for blow outs, close wins, close losses and who they are against without encouraging teams to be unsportsmanlike.

We've still got a ways to go in the season so things might still work themselves out. As crappy as the Big Ten is this year they seem to get an extra handicap in the BCS because Ohio State and Penn State can't be in the Coaches' Poll. I would think that would skew the formula a bit. Maybe the computer rankings make up for that?
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Haha, Rutgers is 15th in the BCS rankings? The hell? :lol:

17th in the other polls I get. We're 6-0 and other teams ahead of us have screwed up. Ahh, Rutgers, pretending to be a real team. :D
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Another Utah loss, to Oregon State this time (21-7). Hopefully our players are at least getting some experience with all these losses, so that we can do better next year.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Iowa is still just terrible.

Arizona, not so bad. I thought they had a shot against USC but damn did they drag things out to the end.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

And the Irish keep rolling along.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Tsyroc wrote:Iowa is still just terrible.

Arizona, not so bad. I thought they had a shot against USC but damn did they drag things out to the end.
USC gave that game away something fierce. Kiffin may be the worst second half coach I've ever seen. That's 6 games in a row they've gotten worse after half time.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Utes win a game, finally.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Block wrote:
Tsyroc wrote:Iowa is still just terrible.

USC gave that game away something fierce. Kiffin may be the worst second half coach I've ever seen. That's 6 games in a row they've gotten worse after half time.
I thought Rodriguez handled stuff pretty well the second half and did a good job with burning clock time near the end without really doing much. It would have been nice for them to have been able to drive more but given that Matt Scott was out of the game from the concussion he got I was impressed with what they did do. It still looked like USC had a shot at the end given how well they moved the ball. It was surprising how much time that one incomplete toss deep burned off of the clock. I'm just so used to Ferentz over at Iowa finding ways to screw the pooch with a lead, mostly from taking the foot off the gas too early, but sometimes it's just really boneheaded moves. It was weird being on the other side of that sort of thing for a change.

I know Rodriguez is kind of known for ignoring his defense but Arizona really needs more speed on the defensive side and guys on the line who can do more with only three of them there.

Kiffin's USC team is reminding me of the team Keyshawn Johnson was on that beat Northwestern in the Rose Bowl. I think this team is overall a bit better than that one but like that team they have a few players that can really take over a game if the match ups are right.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Alferd Packer wrote:Haha, Rutgers is 15th in the BCS rankings? The hell? :lol:

17th in the other polls I get. We're 6-0 and other teams ahead of us have screwed up. Ahh, Rutgers, pretending to be a real team. :D

You probably shouldn't have said anything. :)

They lost to Kent today
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

CarsonPalmer wrote:And the Irish keep rolling along.

I'm not sure how to take this win. I'm leaning towards the Irish being pretty darn good. After watching Oklahoma destroy Texas I wasn't expecting this game to be close, mostly because ND's signature wins have been against Big Ten teams that are trying to invent new levels of suckatude this year. So I was surprised to tune in during the second half and see ND looking good. Oklahoma started the game out okay until that big loss from the ball being hiked when the QB wasn't behind the center. I stopped watching then and came back late in the second half. Notre Dame just looked better than Oklahoma. It also looks like ND has their QB for the next couple of years. :)
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

As if there was any doubt? Iowa definitely sucks this year, and Indiana has a shot to be the Leaders representative in the Big Ten championship game this year.

Holy Crap did Arizona get its ass waxed by UCLA! I thought there was a good chance the Bruins might win and win kind of easily but I was hopeful Arizona was actually as good as they appeared to be a few times this season but yikes!

What was the deal with Oregon and USC? That was another crazy score.

Also, Notre Dame going to 3OT against Pitt? WTH? I'd say that ND would deserve to go down a bit in the human (eye ball based) ratings except the other teams in their general vicinity in the polls didn't do anything to make themselves look all that great either. Just going through the scores makes things look funky if you try to relate what teams are currently doing against each other compared to what happened earlier in the season. If ever there was a good example of some teams getting better throughout the season and others getting worse this one seems like one to pick.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

If all four are undefeated, it has to be Alabama and Oregon. Alabama is the defending national champions; Oregon, though they have arguably the weakest schedule to this point, easily looks the most impressive.

At the end of the day, though, I have the feeling that when the dust clears, there will only be two standing. I hope the Irish are among them; Kansas State has the easiest road left, and Oregon probably has the hardest.