What Are You Reading Right Now 2.0

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now 2.0

Post by Dalton »

So weirdly the new Winter Storm names the Weather Channel just released led me to a book called "The Well at the World's End" by William Morris, which is free on Project Gutenberg. Supposedly Tolkien was deeply inspired by this book - even has a character named Gandolf. Published in 1896, so that ought to be interesting.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Well, I just finished Philip K. Dick's Deus Irae. I am curious as to what religion it sides with, or whether it is truly meant to work from multiple sides. As an atheist, I find Tibor's quest illy-thought-out at best, its result hilarious and predictable. It's almost as if it parodies how the RCC handles the shroud.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Bourne Identity

My first impression was... man, is the guy's prose purple. Also slightly disocncerting the way that the narrative constantly changes the term used for the main character. So times using the names he's adopted, but often random reverting back to 'the patient' he discovered his real name now though so hopefully It'll settle down a bit.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Re-read and finished Neil Gaiman's "Fragile Things". "The Hydrogen Sonata"by Ian M Banks.
After that, piling into the Humble Indie Book bundle books
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:Re-read and finished Neil Gaiman's "Fragile Things". "The Hydrogen Sonata"by Ian M Banks.
After that, piling into the Humble Indie Book bundle books
I just picked up the Humble eBook bundle myself, started with John Scalzi's Old Man's War and just could not put it down. I'm only halfway through but I recommend it. (warning: the nano/genetics usage could break suspension of disbelief, but I was just having too much fun with the story of an old man going off to war to fight all manner of alien lifeforms to notice.)

Ordered The Hydrogen Sonata (among others) but had it all shipped to parents by mistake, so I guess I'll get that around Thanksgiving or something.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Re-(+re-re-for most of them)-reading the Wheel of Time leading up to the final book's release this January.

Just finished Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (aka Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck), a fun novel in the less-often-utilized setting of "mankind in space, but only our solar system settled." The Hydrogen Sonata is waiting for me to get a few days ahead of schedule on WoT.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

The sequel to Leviathan Wakes, Caliban's War, is pretty good too.

I've been participating in a re-readalong of Cloud Atlas on the web, as well as a novella in "The Expanse" universe (same setting as Leviathan Wakes).
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I can't stop re-reading the Posleen books by Ringo. What the fuck. Apparently I never finished the last Cally's War spin-off book, Honor of the Clan.

If I start reading the SS one, I'll ask for an intervention.
XXXI
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

have i mentionedyet how much i'm enjoying dodger, by pterry? (oh and using pare ts loan of a minilaptop while kitty is supervising my surfing is taking some getting used to....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

Picked up an old anthology of French SF, and it is interestingly different; about two dozen short stories and mini- novellas from the fifties through seventies, and if the essential reality of anglospheric science fiction is Space, the essential reality of French science fiction is Sex.

At least half the stories are about erotic self- realisation, and most of them have a heavily defeatist tone- in that the protagonists generally fail to do so, and usually get played for fools in the process, often betraying their selves and their species. A lot of this stuff is starting to make Barbarella look sane.

That and a whole bunch of other stuff I raided various second hand bookshops for, none of it individually massively important.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Just finished Dan Worths Progenitors trilogy. Way too much frantic combat in the third book, need to read something soothing.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The Voice of Reason: A V.I.P. Pass to Enlightenment by Chael Sonnen

This book is so awesome that it's official endorsed by Jesus Christ, who by the way wrote the forward to the book. It is comedy gold, but not only that, it'll make hipsters and liberals' heads explode. Just wait till you read the part on why Richard Nixon was awesome.

Phantasee wrote:I can't stop re-reading the Posleen books by Ringo. What the fuck. Apparently I never finished the last Cally's War spin-off book, Honor of the Clan.

If I start reading the SS one, I'll ask for an intervention.
Let's get down to reality: Ringo is fucking awesome and he writes some of the best fiction I've read in a long time.
It's not in the Posleen series, but wait'll you get to the one about a maple syrup tycoon who saves the world from evil aliens. Pure gold.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

aerius wrote:Let's get down to reality: Ringo is fucking awesome and he writes some of the best fiction I've read in a long time.
It's not in the Posleen series, but wait'll you get to the one about a maple syrup tycoon who saves the world from evil aliens. Pure gold.
I wouldn't call them evil aliens. Just aliens that want to conquer and enslave us (at first. Later it's just extermination). My wife likes him far more than I would have expected.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I've recently read two books by Brandon Sanderson, 1st was The Way of Kings. Based on that I also picked up the 1st book in the Mistborn triology, The Final Empire.

I liked both books quite a lot. Very interesting setting, very detailed and in the Mistborn book you had some very competent and dangerous villains all the way to the end.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Man the selection for Cyber Monday Kindle books seems lousy. Any recommendations? I just came into possession of an Amazon gift card.
To Absent Friends

Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Just pre-ordered "Winner Lose All", a new SW Novella by Zahn featuring Lando. Debating whether or not to pre-order "Scoundrels" as well; that Kindle gift card is burning a hole in my pocket.
To Absent Friends

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Standing in Another Man's Grave the newest Rebus novel by Ian Rankin. Only half way through, but the clocks really ticking down for the ol' drunkard. Beware ye' all who scorn the Complaints....
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I'm gonna get it from Stark for this, but The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor which my mom got me.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

Hunt for Red October. Not bad. Devoid of literary merit however.
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Working my way through the most recent few Horus Heresy books. Fell severely behind on Horus while I was reading A Song of Ice and Fire.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

The Penguin Classics compilation of two chronicles, Geoffroy de Villehardouin on the Fourth Crusade (the one that kind of, um, missed, and sacked Constantinople instead) and Jean de Joinville on the Seventh (a more or less complete shambles); Villehardouin is a much more engaging narrator, even if the subject matter is quite depressing, a catalogue of misadventure, massacre, betrayal and cockup, he lays out what, why and how as a man who knows how people are. Joinville is, well, to go with the 40K reference, if you thought they were exaggerating, you're wrong. The man's a latter day Pharisee; reason completely swallowed up by faith, unable to refer to any event without God's hand in it- could not describe a field of grass without a biblical tag. Villehardouin added to my comprehension- Joinville has yet to do so.
The only purpose in my still being here is the stories and the people who come to read them. About all else, I no longer care.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

I just finished Grieg Beck's third novel in the Alex Hunter series, This Green Hell. Nice mix of supersoldier-meets-monsters brain candy in each novel. The first, Beneath the Dark Ice, is still my favorite though.

Moving on to other Lovecraftian works by Lumley and H.P. himself.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

A Stephen King double-whammy for me right now. 11/22/63 and (FINALLY) The Shining.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Just finished Alexander Solzhenitsyn's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. Not sure what's up next. I've been feeling academic lately, so I was discussing with a friend reading Dante's Divine Comedy alongside Milton's Paradise Lost to compare and contrast views of evil, hell, etc. from a 17th century English Protestant and a 14th century Italian.

Alternatively, I may try out some Lovecraft. Only ever read a few of his old short stories, but I'd like to read more.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

I just started The Time Machine since it was available on Play Books for free. I haven't gone too far into it yet but it seems interesting so far.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.