Dell Latitude CPi assistance

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Dell Latitude CPi assistance

Post by Enigma »

Last year I got for free a Dell craptop. Old as it is, I only needed it for my writing. The guy that gave it to me had Lucid Puppy version of Linux installed on it.

The problem is that when I use it to type my stories, it is quite laggy. I'll type a few words and about 5 seconds later the words would appear. At first I thought that it was because of lack of RAM (it had 128megs) so I maxed out the RAM at 256megs. Unfortunately there's no change. It still lags.

Is there a way to make Abiword work seamlessly? Do I have to remove anything to get the word processor not choke?

Latitude CPi 233ST Craptop Specs.

Would I have to reinstall Lucid Puppy with minimum options needed to get Abiword to run perfectly or do I just go and install Win95 and hope for the best?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Re: Dell Latitude CPi assistance

Post by Terralthra »

Well, Win95 isn't going to work any better; probably worse, in fact. Have you looked at a system monitor or some such while AbiWord is open to see what's going on with memory and processor? How much of the hard drive is partitioned for swap space?
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Don't know where to look for the system monitor.

I do not think the hard drive is partitioned in anyway. It's a 4GB HDD with over 3.5GB free.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Well, that's problem #1. Linux doesn't have a "swap file" in the normal partition, as Windows does; it requires that a portion of the hard drive be partitioned off separately and formatted as swap, and identified as such in the FSTAB.

It's possible to boot from a liveCD, edit the partitions (shrinking the primary and adding a swap partition [recommended swap is usually double the RAM or so]), but it might be a pain in the ass for your experience level, compared to a wipe/fresh install. Let me look up what tools you have on that distro.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Mkay; do you have the Puppy linux USB/liveCD?
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Terralthra wrote:Mkay; do you have the Puppy linux USB/liveCD?
I've recently downloaded the latest LuPu release.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I have very limited knowledge on Linux but when I boot up the craptop it gives me these options to choose upon boot:

Linux (on /dev/sda1)
Windows (on /dev/sdb1)
Install GRUB to floppy disk (on /dev/fd0)
Install GRUB to Linux partition (on /dev/sda1)

Does this help in any way?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

How hard is it to reformat and instal Lucid Puppy compared to the Win OSes?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

If you boot into LuPu from a USB or CD-ROM, open up GPartEd, and from there, you want to (if possible) shrink /dev/sda1 and add a /dev/sda5 partition formatted as Linux Swap.

From the device readout...does this laptop have two hard drives?
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Terralthra wrote:If you boot into LuPu from a USB or CD-ROM, open up GPartEd, and from there, you want to (if possible) shrink /dev/sda1 and add a /dev/sda5 partition formatted as Linux Swap.

From the device readout...does this laptop have two hard drives?
No, only one 4gb drive.

How would I format with LuPu?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Bah. Tried messing around with LuPu, hoping to get it to run smoother and instead messed it up. I can no longer see any icons on the desktop, plus no wallpaper and it no longer reads text documents. Ended up the complete opposite of what I wanted.

I tried booting up directly to the CD but the craptop seems to skip over it. I can't figure out using the command line how to access the CD-ROM. If this gets any worse, I'll bite the bullet and go for Win95. Less of a headache this way.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

It'll probably be more of a headache, actually. Someone once wanted us to replace their hard drive and reinstall Windows 98 on their laptop (it had been upgraded to XP, but they didn't have the product key and the drive was unreadable), and I had such a hard time finding Win98-compatible drivers for it that I just said 'fuck it' and installed XP using a key off one of the cannibalized Dell cases in the back room.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Yeah, win95 is shit, really. You are probably remembering it through rose-colored glasses. There are other minimal hardware requirement distributions (e.g. Damn Small Linux), if Lucid Puppy is annoying you.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

On the other hand, it may be, based on the age of the laptop that it simply won't boot off of a USB stick or CD-ROM. If you can get into the BIOS, find the "boot" settings and figure out what it will or will not boot from.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Terralthra wrote:On the other hand, it may be, based on the age of the laptop that it simply won't boot off of a USB stick or CD-ROM. If you can get into the BIOS, find the "boot" settings and figure out what it will or will not boot from.
I've set it for CD-ROM as the primary boot but it skips to the HDD. Both the BIOS and LuPu recognizes the CD-ROM. I'm trying to figure out how to access the CD-ROM from the command line. All I get is "GRUB>". How do I change drives?

I might try hooking it up to my computer, format it and then after disconnecting it, try to boot up LuPu from either the CD or USB.

Is their any other Linux OSes other than LuPu that is pretty simple and easy to use?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Well, Can't get into Lupu on the the craptop at all. Must've deleted something important. I've tried to format the hard drive by taking it out, connect it to an adapter and then to my computer but when I put it back I still have Grub on it but I get an error message. GAAH! Gonna have to try again but do a better job.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!