Moderator: Edi

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Re: Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

What a wonderful birthday :)

(Even if I did get cock-blocked :P)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

this morning
Your late
how can I be late, I'm here an hour before I'm regularly schedualed on my day off to cover for someone who caleld in sick
I'm the one who called in sick and I've been here two hours
ok, then he told me the wrong time to show up (actually she was one of two that called in sick, I just happened to be covering for the one that would have shown up an hour later)

boss your being a trooper
the only thing that confuses me, since you have me spending half a day on my sunday covering a sick call during a big banquet, and I have to be in on my following Saturday for manditory safety and sanitation classes does that mean I get double pay for the class day?
boss: (groans)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

"Everyone had their hand in it. It's been passed around the office. So yeah, it's quite dirty."
- A work conversation about code
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Long as it's not a conversation about a co-worker.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Kanastrous wrote:Long as it's not a conversation about a co-worker.
Thankfully, I work in a place where its level of professionalism makes a similarly worded conversation about a co-worker extremely rare.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Your workplace clearly operates at a higher level of professionalism, than does mine.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:
Thankfully, I work in a place where its level of professionalism makes a similarly worded conversation about a co-worker extremely rare.
You make it sound like you think that´s a good thing? :?
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

salm wrote:
Pint0 Xtreme wrote:
Uh, yes, that's a very good thing. I don't know why you would think otherwise.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

That's a little too much professionalism for me personally. YMMV.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:
salm wrote:
I don't see why some level of immature comments (or even a high level of such comments) says anything good or bad about the quality of the people. I'd far prefer to be able to throw a random "Fuck You!" or an elaborate joke involving someones mother rather than walk around on tiptoes and avoid offending people.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:
salm wrote:
Pint0 Xtreme wrote:
Today I had a conversation at work about running around spraying cum all over a TV production set. It was funny.

Perhaps the place you work at has a collective pole up it´s ass. :)
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Ace Pace wrote:
Pint0 Xtreme wrote:
salm wrote:
I don't see why some level of immature comments (or even a high level of such comments) says anything good or bad about the quality of the people. I'd far prefer to be able to throw a random "Fuck You!" or an elaborate joke involving someones mother rather than walk around on tiptoes and avoid offending people.
A workplace's professionalism isn't defined by the sort of language a person uses. It's defined by the conduct of individuals. There's nothing wrong with a "Fuck you!" jokingly thrown around my work place. But there's plenty wrong with someone spreading gossip of a coworker sleeping around the office. The latter is very unprofessional and I would not want to work in an environment where that is the norm rather than the exception.
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

salm wrote:Perhaps the place you work at has a collective pole up it´s ass. :)
No, I think you're just confusing unprofessionalism with being funny.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

The original comment that led to this discussion leaves it completely open if it´s about spreading hurtful gossip or about harmless stupid talk.
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

salm wrote:The original comment that led to this discussion leaves it completely open if it´s about spreading hurtful gossip or about harmless stupid talk.
I responded to Kanastrous' comment that it's fine as long as it wasn't about a coworker. There are only very few circumstances where that's really acceptable in a professional work environment. A comment like that, even jokingly, can be construed the wrong way and can be grounds for work harassment under California state employment laws. Yes, it's a good thing that comments like that about coworkers is very rare.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Which circumstances would that be?
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

We get that State-of-CA harassment seminar noise every six months or so, depending upon the studio.

Then we go back to our offices, or to stage, and see how many directives we can violate by day's end. Of course, we're all friends here.

Unprofessional, perhaps, but we get the show done and we have our fun doing it.
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Kanastrous wrote:We get that State-of-CA harassment seminar noise every six months or so, depending upon the studio.

Then we go back to our offices, or to stage, and see how many directives we can violate by day's end. Of course, we're all friends here.

Unprofessional, perhaps, but we get the show done and we have our fun doing it.
I don't know which directives you violate but if safety or comfortable workplace environment is compromised, then that's not good at all. Saying someone's slept around the office can produce a hostile work environment even if the person you're talking about welcomes it in the situation where there's a third person who doesn't feel comfortable about it. Basically, CA harassment laws requires that you use common sense but I don't know anybody (including myself) who would liked to be commonly described as the office slut in the workplace. Being called a slut only happens between among very close friends outside of work and never among co-workers.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:Being called a slut only happens between among very close friends outside of work and never among co-workers.
That´s quite a generalizing statement.
Yesterday I was told that i most likely have sex with a co-worker. He´s married with children and I´m in a happy relationship with my girlfriend for years.
It was rather funny.
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Hilariously, Pinto, you've actually managed to miss the entire point of those "perception of a third party" rules. The original comment would have violated them not matter what the context if your workplace is as strict as you are implying, and you know it because you felt the need to clarify the context.

Random person in the hall might not know the context, hear the comment, and still have a "hostile work environment" created, so please climb down off that soapbox.
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Questor wrote:Hilariously, Pinto, you've actually managed to miss the entire point of those "perception of a third party" rules. The original comment would have violated them not matter what the context if your workplace is as strict as you are implying, and you know it because you felt the need to clarify the context.

Random person in the hall might not know the context, hear the comment, and still have a "hostile work environment" created, so please climb down off that soapbox.
Uh, huh. Wow, you totally missed my point of this entire conversation. :roll: This isn't a discussion about what comments can technically contribute to a hostile work environment. It was about workplace professionalism, which includes using common sense when making statements that can potentially be construed as harassment. My original comment was said in a situation where it was acceptable, everyone in the room understood its context and it was funny. As I mentioned earlier, there are only a few circumstances where that comment could be applied to a person and still remain within a professional workspace and really, that's only if it's between very close friends. I understand some people work with their best friends but I don't and most people don't either.
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

salm wrote:
Pint0 Xtreme wrote:Being called a slut only happens between among very close friends outside of work and never among co-workers.
That´s quite a generalizing statement.
Yesterday I was told that i most likely have sex with a co-worker. He´s married with children and I´m in a happy relationship with my girlfriend for years.
It was rather funny.
Yeah.... there's a huge difference between that and saying you just slept around with everybody in the office.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Where´s the huge difference?
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

salm wrote:Where´s the huge difference?
Uh, isn't the former a joke about your character and the latter borderline malicious gossip?
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Both can be both. It depends entirely on context.