SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Re: SDNW5 Discussion Thread I

Post by KhorneFlakes »

I don't think it's died. I just think we've all run out of creativity. I've got stuff ready to go, but I need to type it up. My holiday has been FILLED with interruptions.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

To be up-front, I underestimated just how quickly a number of people would get bored and wander off to start new projects. If the prodigal sons decide to come back we could probably get it going again- but it would require a collective decision; I have neither the capacity nor the time to keep things going single-handedly, even if that were possible.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I'm still up for continuing it (I can get some ideas flowing if needed). But I can't keep it going on my own anymore than Simon can.

I am still thinking of running my own version on TFN too...that could be fun...
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Simon_Jester wrote:To be up-front, I underestimated just how quickly a number of people would get bored and wander off to start new projects. If the prodigal sons decide to come back we could probably get it going again- but it would require a collective decision; I have neither the capacity nor the time to keep things going single-handedly, even if that were possible.
I can say that I haven't lost interest, I'm just currently at a loss to inspiration, and am generally used to slow-paced RPs which has put me at a bit of a response disadvantage.

Speaking of which, the last story post was what, a month ago? My friends, that is nothing. I've traded posts at a rate of 0.5-0.75 posts per month in the past. Of course, the RP in question has been going for four years and the core group of players are so invested that none will let a moderator declare it dead.

Oh, and I am working on a post, and it will actually involve, well, actions with another player. Well, it will start off actions with another player, rather than being just another build-up post. Probably done in the next week or so, if painting and helping with furniture arrangements coupled with work and class doesn't take me out first.

In fact, and I am rambling here, I would be willing to venture that all we are witnessing is the result of enough players having not enough time or enough will to write due to external forces at work. To keep the RP alive, we need to remain determined to make it known to the other players that it is not dead, as often the collective sense of RP-deadness is what actually kills an RP, at least in my experience.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, I'm not explicitly saying "we're done," because I'd certainly rather have things chug along a little more.

But getting people to stick around, and actually bother to write, is the tricky bit. Personally, I really don't feel like I have the energy to poke people every few weeks to ask them if they're interested in doing that.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

We need to build up guilt is all. I'm willing to bet that most players will still read it even if they don't participate regularly due to whatever. All you need to do is add in a little OOC at the beginning or ending of a post wondering where X or Y went and why they haven't come back.

It is especially effective when quite a few players keep doing it, since, and I say this from experience, it's one thing to tell the GM (or whoever is perceived as in charge) "I'm working on a post" and put if off, and a whole other mess to tell the players the same thing and put it off.

Which reminds me, I did quite enjoy reading the Chamarran/League story going on a bit ago, and I'd hope it will keep going.

Oh, and so as to avoid being a massive hypocrite, I'm going to make sure I post tomorrow.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I got some plans if anyone wants to continue.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

I do have a half finished couple of stories for various plots involving the Authority, just when no one else was posting it felt like a bit of a wasted effort to keep up with them was all.

I'll see what I can get out though if people are still interested.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I can probably get SOMETHING up once I'm done with my Comp 1 Essay later.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well I finally got something up...it isn't long by any means, but at least its something right?

EDIT: A note...anyone who wants to play with Tankhalla can do so. :wink:
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

I haven't had time to read this stuff at all, especially since a similar RP thing in my NationStates forum is starting up again and I have the Bastians there, too, albeit a minnow as far as power goes. If anybody wants to use the Bastians, go ahead. I'm going to have to drop this or turn them into a Liechtenstein-like micronation instead.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, why don't you just sort of leave things on the back burner, poke in with whatever amuses you, and come back a while later when you feel you have the time.

Also I have an idea for a Tankhalla post, if I weren't working 60-hour weeks I'd try it Right Now.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I'd post more, but my last post still hasn't got a reply and I don't really want to invest in a game that isn't moving.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Ghetto Edit: Skywalker_T-65 was that post about the Bismark supposed to be my sign to have my stranded ship notice it coming closer?
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Considering your ship is on the opposite side of VIKING territory...no. I'm still not quite sure how to do that post, so if you have another idea to work with, feel free to go ahead and post it.

And I got Shinn back with Tankhalla! I knew that using that old idea was a good idea. :D
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

And here I thought we'd see Zeon take a Moble Suit there to settle treads vs legs once and for all! And lave on galactic TV.

Or maybe I should have the Capellans do that.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

:lol:
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Considering your ship is on the opposite side of VIKING territory...no. I'm still not quite sure how to do that post, so if you have another idea to work with, feel free to go ahead and post it.

And I got Shinn back with Tankhalla! I knew that using that old idea was a good idea. :D
Okay, I just couldn't picture the map in my head so I thought I'd ask.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Eh, its no big deal. I don't even have the map memorized, and I've been here since the beginning. :P

If you still want me to write a post with the Dragons I can, but I just figured I would make sure if you would rather go ahead on your own, rather than wait for me (I'm not very fast at updating anymore)
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Eh, its no big deal. I don't even have the map memorized, and I've been here since the beginning. :P

If you still want me to write a post with the Dragons I can, but I just figured I would make sure if you would rather go ahead on your own, rather than wait for me (I'm not very fast at updating anymore)
I can send other ships out and do other stuff. I just wanted to make sure that people were still posting before doing too much.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

OmegaChief wrote:And here I thought we'd see Zeon take a Moble Suit there to settle treads vs legs once and for all! And lave on galactic TV.
That might happen too. Alternately, instead of a mobile suit, Neo Zeon brings a Hildolfr into the fray. Or both at once.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

...those poor poor tankers... I like it! :twisted:
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

A shame you're so far away, we could have a whole sub-plot where some Capellans get confused and think there's an /acutal/ war going on on tankhalla, and so send forces to help those poor backwards people...

Well we could do it anyway, assuming it didn't annoy people or ruin any plans anyone else had for the place.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I don't have ANY plans for good 'ole Tankhalla. I just put it up to give people something to play with. So if you want some Capellans there...we can say its an Arcadian/Capellan social exchange program. :P

As for bringing a fleet/army in...well, do that at your own risk. Remember, this is set up in VIKING territory. :wink:
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

I'm perfectly happy to have my forces chewed up for the sake of a good or at least entertaining (I hope) story :P