What other 2000ad properties could be made into movies

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

What other 2000ad properties could be made into movies

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

so we've got a new dredd film coming down soon, or it's already here, so what other properties could be made into decent movies?

already Attempted: Slaine (last I heard they made it in Spain, and it's still out on video somehwere)

lets see the top list
Nemesis the Warlock: Alien freedom fighter kills evil nazi humans
Durham Red: Spinoff of Strontom Dog, mutant mock vampire chick bounty hunter in space
Strongtom Dog: Mutant Bounty Hunter sacrifies himself to save humanity
ABC Warriors: seven robots become mercs
Rogue Trooper: the last genetically engineered super soldier goes off to avenge the deaths of all of his squaddies.
Judge Anderson: Psi-Judge fights outsider evils
Nicholia Dante: cyberpunk illegitamate son of the Romanoff clan in future super russia

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Havok
Miscreant

Re: What other 2000ad properties could be made into movies

Post by Havok »

Honestly, I think Dredd is their only real marketable property, at least in the States.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

I really can't imagine Nemesis faring well except as a cult classic. The entire setting is depressing and grotesque on so many levels it's funny (in comic format). While it would have its followers, I don't think it would make enough money when compared to hypothetical budget to warrant a movie.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I think I heard Rogue Trooper was getting an adaptation soon.

Could be that Film4 would be willing to cough up for it.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

I don't really have any propeties that can be made into films. Oh wait .....

I'd say the best bet would be Rogue Trooper, specifically the origional Rogue Trooper (Rogue with Gunner, Helm and Bagman) and the first arc where he was hunting the traitor general. Solid action premise and I reckon you could stretch the hunt for the general across 3 films. That said the 2nd Rogue Trooper (Friday) could work too.

Strontium Dog could work, though I think it would be better as a TV series. Movie wise though I reckon a pretty solid trilogy would be a standard 'set the scene' opening movie using any random job, second movie revolves around the story of Alpha hunting down his father combined with flashbacks to the mutant rebellion, and then for the third movie just do the Rage storyline. Doing the Rage story though relies on having Wulf Sternhammer in the previous movies though, so some changes might have to be made to the character, viking who followed Alpha back from a time travel job might be a bit of a stretch. On that note they should definately focus on the more serious story lines rather than the stuff like arresting Hitler so he could face an actual war crimes court in the future or rescuing Ronald Reagan from time travellng alien rebels (actually that story line could work as long as the Reagan stuff isn't made too absurd).

I agree that Nemesis is way too niche. That also hinders ABC Warriors as a large portion of their back story is directly tied into Nemesis. They're both really, really dark, something which also hampers Bad Company.

If you want to tie into Dredd, then stuff like Missionary Man and Flesh could work.

Ace Trucking Co. might work as a comedy, also Sam Slade: Robo Hunter has it's share of comedic moments too.

Or go with one of the fantasy stories rather than a sci-fi one, Fiends of the Eastern Front, vampires in WW2.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
The Yosemite Bear

well I was thinking besides being padody russo centric Dante is purhaps the most ready for america property of the lot. Crude humour, a scoundrel hero, neat powers from crest, and somehow I could picture Craig as his british sidekick....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Omeros
Youngling

Post by Omeros »

I think The V.C.s could work as a movie but it would just be a fairly generic space-warfare movie, and the series ran in 2000AD so long ago hardly anyone would remember it.

(Edit: on checking the series was apparently revived about 10 years ago).
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

2000AD wrote:Or go with one of the fantasy stories rather than a sci-fi one, Fiends of the Eastern Front, vampires in WW2.
I second that- a return to the time when vampires were NOT pretty boys who distract you with their sparkling skin while they angst over their bloodlust and resulting self-loathing, but were MONSTERS to be feared for the strength to tear apart the human body, like wolves before prey.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

2000AD wrote:I agree that Nemesis is way too niche. That also hinders ABC Warriors as a large portion of their back story is directly tied into Nemesis. They're both really, really dark, something which also hampers Bad Company.
The first time I heard of an ABC warrior, was in Sylvester Stallone's Judge Dredd. Were the robots cross-series?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

They did make a Space Truckers movie didn't they, I remember Denis Hopper in a 2000AD looking movie.

I'd love to see Nemesis but it's too niche, Rogue Trooper has the best chance of making money as it's war with plenty of explosions and death, just what the market wants.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Lord Pounder wrote:They did make a Space Truckers movie didn't they, I remember Denis Hopper in a 2000AD looking movie.
There was a movie called Space Truckers with Dennis Hopper but as far as I'm aware it was nothing to do with a 2000AD comic, certainly it was nothing like Ace Garp.

------
Sidewinder wrote:The first time I heard of an ABC warrior, was in Sylvester Stallone's Judge Dredd. Were the robots cross-series?
Off the top of my head Hammerstein (the character who the ABC robot in the Stallone film was very loosely based off of) was origionally from a different comic that 2000AD got the rights to. They then had him form the ABC Warrirors, had one series on Mars and then they were tied into Nemesis.
The first series could be adapted fairly standardly, but as soon as they were crossed with Nemesis it got really dark and also really weird in places.

Just regarding cross overs, in 2000AD there's a lot, for example Strontium Dogs has crossed with Dredd. Then there's all the cameo stuff which without being full crossovers indicate a shared universe, like Blackblood (one of the ABC warriros) being a Volgan war robot with the Volgan's being the invading force from Invasion!

Someone with a lot of time and an extensive back catalogue could probably link just about every 2000AD comic strip together in some way.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
The Yosemite Bear

god only knows how they managed to tie Slaine and Dante into the rest of the universes.....

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Apparently, they shouldn't have even made Dredd.
A whopping 8 million so far. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Havok wrote:Apparently, they shouldn't have even made Dredd.
I'm chalking it up to a 3D only release, at least that's how it is in the UK. I can't stand 3D.
Hammerman! Hammer!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

2000AD wrote:
Havok wrote:Apparently, they shouldn't have even made Dredd.
I'm chalking it up to a 3D only release, at least that's how it is in the UK. I can't stand 3D.
That plus the 18 certificate. A friend says there was also lots of competition for the US release.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:god only knows how they managed to tie Slaine and Dante into the rest of the universes.....
It's 2000AD. Making sense is pretty optional.

And I personally would pay serious money for an Ace Trucking Co film.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Omeros wrote:I think The V.C.s could work as a movie but it would just be a fairly generic space-warfare movie, and the series ran in 2000AD so long ago hardly anyone would remember it.

(Edit: on checking the series was apparently revived about 10 years ago).
The original VC's ran near the very first issues, but there was a follow up. The main problem would be that too many people could call it a Starship Troopers rip off.

Meltdown Man might be a possibility, but it's a bit obscure. Savage:Taking Liberties might work as well, but the original Invasion strip was just so OTT and filled full of really crap outdated stereotypes.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.