New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

ray245
Emperor's Hand

New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer

Post by ray245 »

Enjoy.

Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Re: New Rome II Total war gameplay trailer

Post by PainRack »

Is that really gameplay? Or vids? I sorta distrust videos now ever since Hellgate London.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

PainRack wrote:Is that really gameplay? Or vids? I sorta distrust videos now ever since Hellgate London.
The graphics level is quite similar to Shogun 2, so I would believe it is gameplay footage.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

The Hastati are certainly looking a bit more historical this time, which is nice.

Certainly looks like a blend of CGI with an battles using an Shogun 2 engine, anyway.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

If it doesn't show the UI and someone clicking this and that, it doesn't count as a 'gameplay' trailer.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Chirios
Jedi Knight

Post by Chirios »

True that it's not real gameplay but this is pretty much on my auto buyin list.

Roma delenda est.

:)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Meh. still remain unconvinced of the game, especially after the last chokejobs they did.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Chirios
Jedi Knight

Post by Chirios »

@ Thanas because I can't be arsed to click the quote button:

Shogun 2 was pretty sick. And I for one liked Empire, buggy as it was.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

I love how Chirios is a prime example of the spineless, mindless fanboyism that enables guys like Creative Assembly to stay in business.
Best care anywhere.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Empire and Napoleon were pretty bad, but the only major problem I had with Shogun II was that every faction had the exact same units, so the complete lack of any variety in the battles made it get stale quick. That can't happen with Rome II, so I'd bet it'll be better than the last three games.

Of course, there's no way in hell it'll even come close to the major Rome I or Medieval II mods, aside from being more shiny.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

CA just provided the modders with modding tools for Shogun 2. So there is a possibility we can see mods for Rome 2, given it use the same engine.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

By the way, how is battle AI in Shogun 2? I kinda stopped playing the series after RTW1 because the 'puter could be so easily defeated.

Curious about AI in Shogun 2 because if it's not totally bonkers, I might consider buying RTW2.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Tolya wrote:By the way, how is battle AI in Shogun 2? I kinda stopped playing the series after RTW1 because the 'puter could be so easily defeated.

Curious about AI in Shogun 2 because if it's not totally bonkers, I might consider buying RTW2.
The campaign map AI is pretty good, the battle AI isn't great but it's a big improvement over the Rome AI, and the diplomacy AI is kinda hit or miss. It's usually pretty good, but every now and then it does something mind-bogglingly stupid.
DarkArk
Padawan Learner

Post by DarkArk »

Shogun II was that every faction had the exact same units, so the complete lack of any variety in the battles made it get stale quick.
But that's how the Sengoku period was. There wasn't a massive difference between clans, since it was a civil war. CA already put in fantasy units that had no real role to play in history ("katana samurai" being perhaps the most egregious).

Shogun 2 AI is the best of the series. It still makes the occasional stupid mistake, but I find it does a reasonable job of putting up a fight even on normal.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

DarkArk wrote:
Shogun II was that every faction had the exact same units, so the complete lack of any variety in the battles made it get stale quick.
But that's how the Sengoku period was. There wasn't a massive difference between clans, since it was a civil war. CA already put in fantasy units that had no real role to play in history ("katana samurai" being perhaps the most egregious).
Yeah, and that's a good reason why they shouldn't have made a Total War game in that period, or the Empire/Napoleon periods. When every faction is identical the game gets pretty boring.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

The Vortex Empire wrote:
Tolya wrote:By the way, how is battle AI in Shogun 2? I kinda stopped playing the series after RTW1 because the 'puter could be so easily defeated.

The campaign map AI is pretty good, the battle AI isn't great but it's a big improvement over the Rome AI, and the diplomacy AI is kinda hit or miss. It's usually pretty good, but every now and then it does something mind-bogglingly stupid.
If there's one thing they need to work on it's the diplomacy AI. that shit was way annoying in Rome and Medieval, especially since it was very difficult to know where you stood with people. You would beat a nation into the dust only for them to refuse Protectorate status and choose death and enslavement and iirc, there was never any real way to tell why or when they'd change their mind.

As for this game, I'll look it up, if it works out the diplomacy issues then good but I think I'll buy it mainly for the mods. I'm sure that someone could do some great things with it, but I'd rather stick with EB Rome 1 or Stainless Steel on Med 2 than play the base game I think
Fire Fly
Jedi Council Member

Post by Fire Fly »

Actual pre-alpha gameplay footage

Looks very impressive and the city battles look like they'll actually be fun. I always thought city battles were boring in previous games.