Japanese making a Roman movie?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Japanese making a Roman movie?

Post by ray245 »

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the idea of Japanese actors acting as Romans. It quite ironic that the Japanese are doing what Hollwood have been doing for such a long time, by casting their own actors to portray people from another ethnic group.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Memnon
Padawan Learner

Re: Japanese making a Roman movie?

Post by Memnon »

Has someone made a gif of that toilet scene yet? Do want.
Are you accusing me of not having a viable magnetic field? - Masaq' Hub, Look to Windward
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I don't know if casting Caucasians in Hollywood is quite the same as "another ethnic group" from Romans, who were usually a mix of other Caucasians that were conquered and brought into the Empire.

That said it looks like a Japanese Roman that gets pulled through time into modern day Japan? :D Sounds fun.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Memnon
Padawan Learner

Post by Memnon »

Crap, I just watched the whole anime series for this. Not what I was planning to do.
Are you accusing me of not having a viable magnetic field? - Masaq' Hub, Look to Windward
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Memnon wrote:Has someone made a gif of that toilet scene yet? Do want.
Which one? Exploring the urinal or watching in horror as the seat rises. Both are pretty awesome.
Memnon
Padawan Learner

Post by Memnon »

weemadando wrote:
Memnon wrote:Has someone made a gif of that toilet scene yet? Do want.
Which one? Exploring the urinal or watching in horror as the seat rises. Both are pretty awesome.
The seat scene is fantastic, that one.

Also, the lyrics for the ending credits song on the anime are really weird. "The soap getting smaller, losing to the pressure of the shower." So catchy though.

It's too bad I can't find a decent price for the movie on amazon.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

A live action adaption of the anime? Want!

I gotta see the anime now, I hear its pretty funny.

As for changing the race of people by using Japanese actors... Meh, I'm not seeing anything to complain here. Japan only has like 1 million foreigners in Japan and most of them are Chinese/Korean so they have a good excuse.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

You know, if they tried to make an entirely Roman movie with purely Japanese actors, that would be pretty cool and offer a lot of interesting perspectives as to how Japanese try to interpret the Roman Empire.

Not a fan of the modern comedy twist.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Yeah, just making the main characters Japanese with clearly Caucasian extras is kinda weird looking. All Japanese would have been cool.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Thanas wrote:You know, if they tried to make an entirely Roman movie with purely Japanese actors, that would be pretty cool and offer a lot of interesting perspectives as to how Japanese try to interpret the Roman Empire.

If you want to subject yourself to hilarity (in the sense that it's a horrible movie that meets "so bad it's good" territory) and a south east asian take on the romans, do check out Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa :D

There's also a Manga out there called Heureka that's about the 2nd Punic war that's actually fairly historical and serious, except perhaps for the more outlandish archimedes weapons.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Jesus.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Come to think of it, this Japanese movie is the first one to depict Hadrian on film. I do not recall any other movie that attempted to protray Trajan and Hadrian.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

ray245 wrote:Come to think of it, this Japanese movie is the first one to depict Hadrian on film. I do not recall any other movie that attempted to protray Trajan and Hadrian.
There was a movie scheduled with Antonio Banderas as Hadrian, but it got stuck in development hell.
------------
------------
My LPs
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Trailer with subtitles.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Looks like a crappier version of a classic Russian future shock comedy

And the best part is you can see it legally for free here: http://www.youtube.com/movie?v=zuYu9Vvv ... ture=mv_sr

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Thanas wrote:You know, if they tried to make an entirely Roman movie with purely Japanese actors, that would be pretty cool and offer a lot of interesting perspectives as to how Japanese try to interpret the Roman Empire.

You should read Eikou no Napoleon, Thanas! It's a sequel to shojo classic Rose of Versailles, featuring Napoleon as the main character!
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I've only read the Rose of Versailles so far. One of the few mangas I liked.
------------
------------
My LPs
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

I am surprise that the Japanese media have a habit of portraying western history quite often. Most anime/manga/novels draws huge inspiration from western history than a lot of American mass media in recent times.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

There's also Histoire which I believe follows the story of Eumenes of Cardia, the classic scholar and secretary/ general to Alexander the Great.

I especially like the look of "Otoyomegatari / THE BRIDE'S STORIES" which deals with Central Asian tribes people and their culture. From SA: "Set on the Silk Road that connected Asia with Europe before the modern times. Amira, a woman skilled in archery and horsemanship, is sent to marry Karluk, a boy from another village who is 8 years younger than her. But all is not well, as her village decides to take her back...".

I like how manga and light novel writers more often than not do their research, so we have stories that are either historically accurate or make allusions that require that work. Like Alexander dying to Gilgamesh in F/Z airing on the anniversary of his death (in Babylon!), frankly Japan has some very good historical period pieces like Croise.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

ray245 wrote:I am surprise that the Japanese media have a habit of portraying western history quite often. Most anime/manga/novels draws huge inspiration from western history than a lot of American mass media in recent times.
No more unusual than Western works drawing from Eastern influence. Everything from Star Wars to Hollywood movies set in Asia to most American anime. Don't even get me started on American fascination with katanas, ninjas, and samurai.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh