NCAA Football 2012 Season

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

NCAA Football 2012 Season

Post by Tsyroc »

Well, the season is finally under way.

Although they both got wins yesterday I don't think the season is looking all that promising for Iowa or Arizona. Iowa defeated Northern Illinois by one point in Chicago, and Arizona defeated Toledo in OT here in Tucson.

I could be wrong. NIU has gone 11-3 the last two years so they are really good for a MAC team. I don't think that is going to translate to being good on a national level so I think Iowa squeaking out a win against them goes right along with what is appearing to be a kind of iffy Big Ten conference this year. I mean, Wisconsin nearly lost to FCS team Northern Iowa. Personally I wished UNI had one, but now they'll probably just end up beating the Hawkeyes when the play in a couple of weeks.

Did anyone see the Oregon score? They had put up 50 pts before the second half. The supposedly pulled the first string for the majority of the game.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: NCAA Football 2012 Season

Post by Tsyroc »

Wow.

No comments about Michigan getting spanked by Alabama, or Penn State losing it's first post sanctions football game?

Notre Dame pounded Navy. Michigan State defeated Boise State, which was a close game but could have been a blow out if MSU receivers could catch the ball. At least that's the story I've been reading from MSU fans.

Other games I thought were interesting. Colorado losing to Colorado State. Washington State, now coached by Mike Leach, getting pummeled by BYU (now independent and trying to become the Mormon version of Notre Dame). Nevada defeated Cal, and South Carolina won a close one against Vanderbilt. Stanford squeaked out a win against San Jose St., which could mean that the Cardinal might be coming back down to Earth a bit in their second season after Harbaugh left and their first season without Luck. It should be interesting to see how things unfold this season. :)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The only thing noteworthy in college ball so far is that Savannah State is trying to save the college itself (not just the football team) from financial ruin by agreeing to be the tomato can for Oklahoma St (who annihilated them 84-0) and now for Florida State this weekend.

LINK

A 70.5-point spread? Were the bookies really worried about a tie? :lol:
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

What the fuck, Utes? I ignore the Utah State vs Utah game, confident that the Utes will slaughter the Aggies like they've done the past Gods Knows How Many Years, and they lose? Jesus. To make matters worse, Jordan Wynn's shoulder is injured for the fourth or fifth time (this is my shocked face).

This all makes me just so confident for the coming season, and any hopes of not getting completely massacred by the good teams in the Pac-12.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I watched the game. Utah St. QB played fantastic.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I am interested what Wisconsin is going to do - they got Danny O'Brien from Maryland, who was run out of town by that insane Randy Edsell. Yes, I am sure it is a great idea to bench the ACC Rookie of the year just because you want to run the ball (and then end up with one win and only losses for the rest of the year as happened last season).
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Thanas wrote:I am interested what Wisconsin is going to do - they got Danny O'Brien from Maryland, who was run out of town by that insane Randy Edsell. Yes, I am sure it is a great idea to bench the ACC Rookie of the year just because you want to run the ball (and then end up with one win and only losses for the rest of the year as happened last season).
O'Brien was flat out awful before he got benched, probably the worst QB in the conference by his level of play, but it was still dumb of Edsall to run him out of town.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Was he awful because of the system or because of lack of talent?
------------
------------
My LPs
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Thanas wrote:Was he awful because of the system or because of lack of talent?
Because he was missing reads, playing with happy feet, doing a piss poor job of ball security and he even did a bad job of making hand-offs. I don't think it was lack of talent, but something mental that was causing him to play like a high school freshman, not the returning ACC freshman of the year. He also didn't have anyone to pass to, which doesn't help, but still, you can't throw into double coverage consistently and expect to keep playing.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Another entertaining week of college football.

The Big Ten is looking particularly crappy this year. Iowa lost to Iowa State 6 to 9. No points were scored in the second half. Both offenses sucked big time but Iowa's was particularly bad. When they actually got passes out to the receivers they had a tendency to drop them. Iowa State has now won the Cy-Hawk trophy two years in a row for the first time in a long time. They also usually don't manage to win in Iowa City. I won't be shocked if Iowa loses to UNI next week.

Arizona surprised me by putting a spanking on Oklahoma State. I was expecting things to go the other way considering how it's gone the last two years and this also being Rich Rodriquez' first year as coach.

ASU also put a beating on Illinois (part of the Big Ten sucking this year) which was a bit more expected even thought they also have a new coach this year. The Pac-12 season should be really interesting this year.
Last edited by Tsyroc on 2012-09-10 12:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Seeing the Huskers get slapped around like a cheap hooker made me cackle.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Highlord Laan wrote:Seeing the Huskers get slapped around like a cheap hooker made me cackle.
It's interesting reading reading how Husker fans feel about it. As a whole they seem to be losing faith in their coach since he's supposed to be a defensive guy and his defenses have only been good when they have outstanding NFL caliber talent in them.

It's kind of cool to see UCLA not sucking again. All the new coaches in the Pac-12 sure seem to be setting things up for a very interesting season within the conference.
Action Avenue
Redshirt

Post by Action Avenue »

Highlord Laan wrote:Seeing the Huskers get slapped around like a cheap hooker made me cackle.

Couldn't agree more...... :D
Check out my zombie blog http://freakindeadjed.blogspot.com
View my artwork at my studio store at http://zazzle.com/actionave
Visit my deviant art page at http://actionave.deviantart.com
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Oh Rutgers, you just love raising my goddamn blood pressure, don't you. Our excellent defense was literally the only thing keeping us in the game. But, a win's a win's a win, even when it's a sloppy shit show. But, we're 3-0 overall, 1-0 in the Big East. Not bad for having a new coach. Oh, and Rutgers total defense is ranked 6th, so that's pretty cool.

Of course, we're going to get destroyed by Arkansas next week, but that's OK. Everyone needs a comparatively crappy team to beat on.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Why on Earth N. Carolina vs (19)Louisville is on in my region and why on Earth I decided to watch it, I have no idea, but holy fuck what a comeback even though they didn't get it there on 4th and goal. It was 36 to 0 if I remember correctly.

This is why I hate college football yet enjoy watching it all the same.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

And man, USC vs Stanford has been a great game to watch.
This has developed into a way better rivalry than Stanford Cal.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Björn Werner, representing Germany as he should.

God I hope he falls to the Ravens.
------------
------------
My LPs
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Oh you Germans. You want to conquer everything. :lol:

Man, watching Stanford is like watch the 49ers, or vice versa I suppose. They are just beating USC on the line of scrimmage.

The only thing bad about USC losing is that Alabama will have to lose like 3 games for them to not end up #1 and in the National Championship.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

GREAT defensive showing by Stanford!

And Barkley is going to leave college 0-4 against them.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Havok wrote:GREAT defensive showing by Stanford!

And Barkley is going to leave college 0-4 against them.
That wasn't Stanford at all, that was USC's o-line. They've been shaky all season long and tonight they flat out quit at half time. The tackles weren't even trying on the last two drives, didn't even make an attempt to engage the ends.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Haha OK. I'm sure holding a team that hasn't failed to score over 30 points in a game in like a decade, that has two of the best receivers, one of the best running backs and one of the front runners for the Heisman at QB to 14 points was all just the o-line not having a good game. :lol:

Go tell that to the center that kept literally getting knocked on his ass. Tell that to the o-line and running backs for Stanford that put 200 yards on USC. Tell that to the DBs that picked off Barkley twice.

C'mon, hearing that it's like you don't even understand football.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Go watch the line play. Seriously focus on it. Barkley didn't even have a chance to set his feet after halftime because the o-line was making halfhearted arm swipes at guys just running around them.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I watched highlights twice. The O-line just got beat the fuck up, plain and simple. If they gave up like you said, it was because they were getting beat on all game. They got out schemed and out muscled. Period.

Not to mention they held USC to like 30 yards rushing. Are you telling me the #2 team in the country has an offensive line that can't run block or pass block? :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'm so glad that my college football predictions suck. The Utah-BYU game was fantastic to watch, and the ending . . . man.

BYU gets a miracle pass that puts them in "very long field goal" range (51 yards). They try to go for some extra yards, but the clock appears to run out, so the fans rush the field. However, there was actually 1 second left, so the fans all cram in on the sideline like sardines. Next play, the field goal attempt gets blocked, the fans (again) rush the field . . . before the play ends. BYU gets a 15-yard penalty, and it's now a 33-yard field goal attempt. Which the BYU kicker then misses, hitting the up-right.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

It's sure looking like Iowa sucks this year. Maybe they won't do too bad in Big Ten play because the Big Ten looks pretty crappy as a whole as well. I'm still not expecting much.

Now I get to look forward to the Arizona/Oregon game, and hope that the Wildcats at least keep it respectable. :?