GUNS GUNS GERNS

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

GUNS GUNS GERNS

Post by Lonestar »

This is now a personal firearms thread.

I'll kick things off with my stately plinker

Plink.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Re: GUNS GUNS GERNS

Post by His Divine Shadow »

*plink*

*PLONK*
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Is that a .44 Magnum at the bottom? It looks like it has two barrels.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Ruger 77/44.

My boy with his Kel-Tec Sub 2000 (9mm)
Last edited by Aaron MkII on 2012-09-07 04:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
His Divine Shadow

Lonestar wrote:Is that a .44 Magnum at the bottom? It looks like it has two barrels.
Yeah it's a 629 Classic, it's a full underlug, essentially a big weight under the barrels length.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Bigger handguns are nice, but I love a good .22 and 9mm. They are fun to shoot and much cheaper on the wallet.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
His Divine Shadow

I cast my own & reload for everything I shoot so it's not really that expensive for me. Just cranked out a hundred rounds of 45acp on my reloading press. A big reason I like revolvers though, no hunting for used brass on the ground...
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

i wish i could find and afford to get a bigger magazine for my 702, it feeds even the cheap ammo without fuss but goes through the 10 round stick all too fast. I've heard that the bigger mag from mossbergs tactical .22lr will also fit on the plinkster.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Just got my Musket. Quick picture with the phone camera, I'll take some better ones later.

Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Marko Dash wrote:i wish i could find and afford to get a bigger magazine for my 702, it feeds even the cheap ammo without fuss but goes through the 10 round stick all too fast. I've heard that the bigger mag from mossbergs tactical .22lr will also fit on the plinkster.
Why not see if you can get some second hand ten rounders?
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The top is the S&W .357 Mag my dad gave me when I turned 18. An ex-business partner (and I can't stress ex enough) of my Dad was a pretty good gunsmith and did some work on it. Cocked, it has less than a .5 pound pull.
The Colt 1911 is next. Bone stock, no frills. Bought it when I turned 21. Shot more than a few matches with it. I don't give a shit what anyone says, Colt still makes good 1911s.
The bottom is my XD40. Shot even more matches with it. .40 got expensive, so I ended up getting a conversion barrel for 9mm and also replacing the tri-spring system with a "1911 style" guide-rod and spring. I did this after my buddy's spring system unspun and actually came out of the front of the gun. I beat on it for over an hour while he finished his match with my XD. I didn't want to end up in the same position. $15 fix.

This is my baby: Beretta CX4. I originally had the .45ACP model, but I gave it to my dad due to low ammo capacity (Beretta will not make a higher cap .45ACP mag) and that .45ACP is hella expensive. The 9mm version is great as it uses all the stock 9mm mags from the 92fs series of pistols. I have a 25 round mag around here somewhere, but never use it. Also, while all the AR-15 guys shoot paper, I can line up on steel targets all day long. It's much more fun.

The Eotech Red-Dot sight was given to me for Christmas when my family couldn't think of anything to get me. I had planned to get one myself, but the price-point was way high and the "irons" on the CX4 are great. The ol' lady must have informed them of all this. I wish they had bought the smaller model of red-dot, but I'm not complaining. The aperture size is great. My tacticool flashlight was won when I took 4th (or maybe 3rd or 5th, honestly can't remember) at a friendly IDPA competition. We decided to hang out and do some dusk/night shooting. I asked if anyone had an extra weaver scope mount and they said just keep it afterward. It works.

Also pictured (accidentally) are two Mossberg 12-gauge pumps. The one with the shell holder on the stock is mine (also the shotgun I was talking about in the gun control thread). The other is my ol' lady's her dad had before he died. Match made in Hell? You can also barely see the action of her Ruger Mini-14 at top.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Wicked toys there FeniX. Every single one of them. I have all but the revolver myself. My XD is the 9mm. And I love it. Recently had rails put on my Beretta Cx4 and an Aimpoint. Very fun to shoot.

You should look at getting some MecGar magazines. MecGar makes a 13 round XD40, 18 round XD9s. They make an 18 round and 20 round Beretta 92FS mags.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Thanks man. Besides PC gaming, shooting was my only real hobby. It sucks I don't have the time to dedicate to it that I used to. When I purchased my XD40, I had bought into that "better round" bullshit you hear a lot of. That said, since I got mine before Springfield realized they could jack the price up $200 and still sell the shit out of them, it's without a doubt one of my best buys. Sadly, I've pretty much shelved my XD. The wife shoots it more than I do, but she doesn't touch it much since I got her own pistol she picked out. I've got like 6 mags for the fucking thing anyway.

My only other buy in the near future would be an FN57, but I don't shoot enough anymore to justify the $1000 price tag.

More stuff:
Starting from the top and going clockwise:
1. .22LR knock-off of an MP5. Wanted a mag fed .22 "rifle" for ages (I have an old Interarms stock-loader .22LR. insanely accurate, bitch to reload). I have to say though, while fun to shoot when it feeds right, like many "light-action" .22s, it's very picky about the rounds it will take.
2. Beretta .22 Neos. Bought this (and the cheapass red-dot) to break myself of milking the trigger. It has a heavy trigger for a .22, which is exactly why I bought it over something like a Browning. You know immediately if you're fucking up with your grip/trigger pull. Jams like a motherfucker though if you aren't using ammo it "likes."
3. Beretta PX4 9mm Compact. The wife's gun. She loves it and even I have to admit, it's fun as hell to shoot. A little high on muzzle climb for a 9mm, but easily compensated for.
4. Beretta PX4 9mm (See a trend yet?). Hands down my favorite pistol ever to shoot. My only beef is the trigger "takeup" which I'd have a gunsmith look at, but it's hard to find one these days because the ATF treats them like criminals. Other than that, I've never fired a better pistol except maybe my buddy's Kimber 1911 Tactical (then again, it's a fucking Kimber, so no surprise there). I will say that the mags for the gun (and they are special mags only for the PX4) rust way too fast for being $47 retail. Oh yea, that's my broken one. While shooting off some reloads, I had a casing breach in the chamber. Wrecked the feed-ramp causing numerous jams due to what I consider a design-flaw with the feedramp having a steel inset, but a plastic top, leading to the top being damaged. The guy at Beretta considered it a "don't shoot shitty reloads" problem and I can't find a flaw with his argument. I just bought another at the gunshow for like $450.

I had another round like that breach in my CX4. Bent the wings of the action retaining clip out of the ejection port. But I just had to beat that fucker with a hammer for a while, because I was not paying Beretta $50 for a new one. I stopped shooting old reloads after that incident.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Mit scope

DSC_1525 by BaronBucher, on Flickr

DSC_1531 by BaronBucher, on Flickr

Without(what will be standard range loadout).

DSC_1532 by BaronBucher, on Flickr

DSC_1533 by BaronBucher, on Flickr
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

ZOMG!!! Deathsticks!!!

Actually, all joking aside, those are some nice weapons. I wish I had something to contribute, but, I don't own a gun.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Beretta Cx4 Storm 9mm. Barrel shroud designed to look like a silencer. Top rail. Side and bottom rails on the forward section. M68 Aimpoint CompML2 red dot scope. And a Mec-Gar 20 round magazine.

I tried a vertical grip on the Storm, but it just looks wrong. After that picture I removed the stock spacer and added some rail covers on the top rail.

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Um... Speaking of guns, I have a question (story research). I recently found a photo of this conversion. Is it just marketing gimmick or would it handle better than normal rifle/have some other inherent advantages?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

It looks like someone just shopped the P90 magazine and stuck it on the rifle barrel.
His Divine Shadow

It is a real thing, but gimmick seems to describe it pretty well.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Alyeska wrote:Image

Beretta Cx4 Storm 9mm. Barrel shroud designed to look like a silencer. Top rail. Side and bottom rails on the forward section. M68 Aimpoint CompML2 red dot scope. And a Mec-Gar 20 round magazine.

I tried a vertical grip on the Storm, but it just looks wrong. After that picture I removed the stock spacer and added some rail covers on the top rail.
How does it shoot? I have a Sub 2000, kinda wondering if the extra money for the Cx4 is worth it.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Apologies for the quality, my Playbook doesn't have the best camera.

Marlin 336BL with a PO 3.5x17

My 1943 Mosin
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Aaron MkII wrote:

How does it shoot? I have a Sub 2000, kinda wondering if the extra money for the Cx4 is worth it.
It's very smooth with little recoil. But if you have another pistol carbine rifle, than not necessary. I got the Cx4 because of Battlestar Galactica.

His Divine Shadow

A Brazilian Winchester (and a canadian tractor):

Stock is a work in progress ATM, I've flattened the end as you can see and I am waiting to install an extended recoil pad.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Alyeska wrote:
Aaron MkII wrote:

It's very smooth with little recoil. But if you have another pistol carbine rifle, than not necessary. I got the Cx4 because of Battlestar Galactica.
The Marines used it, right?

I do need to get a cover for the Sub's stock, the bolt recoils inside it and its quite grating. Freezing in the winter as well.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Irbis wrote:Um... Speaking of guns, I have a question (story research). I recently found a photo of this conversion. Is it just marketing gimmick or would it handle better than normal rifle/have some other inherent advantages?
Mostly gimmick. One of the few interesting things is if you have a busted 30rd mag, you could take out the follower and spring, and use it as a brass catcher, as the ejection is through the mag well. If you can afford to turn the rifle into a SBR, it has a bit better relative performance, as the 5.7 cartridge is a bit better optimized for the shorter barrel.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan