What Are You Reading Right Now 2.0

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now 2.0

Post by Kanastrous »

"Treasure Island," Robert Louis Stevenson. Came with my smartphone. It's really a very entertaining read, so far.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Xelloss
Redshirt

Post by Xelloss »

I just finished reading "The Origins of Totalitarianism" by Hannah Arendt. Im deciding to go a little light now and started reading the original James Bond books by Ian Fleming.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
--Carl Sagan
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Deranged, by Harold Schecter.

A slightly sensationalist telling of the story of Albert Fish, rich in details. *vomits*
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'm reading Cloud Atlas, after the movie previews got me interested in the books. It's a fantastic novel, one of the best I've read this year. I had slightly spoiled myself on some of the general plot details before reading the book, but that actually helped me to really appreciate the connections between the stories.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Abraham Lincoln, vampire hunter.

Not as funny as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Kanastrous wrote:"Treasure Island," Robert Louis Stevenson. Came with my smartphone. It's really a very entertaining read, so far.
Never read it before? If you ever wondered where a ton of the biggest misconceptions about pirates are rooted, look no further.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Aside from work-related reading, like Topology and Geometry of 3-Manifolds by Thurston*, Methods of Modern Mathematical Physics by Reed and Simon, Fourier Series and Integrals by Dym and McKean ...

The Great Divergence by Pomeranz and The Glorious Appearing by LaHaye and Jenkins have been our regular read-aloud books. I'll let you all guess which one is for thought provocation and which one is for lulz. :P

* May he rest in peace :(
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Queen of Wands by John Ringo. I have to say that Ringo writes comedy gold, and I'll read everything that he writes.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I finished Cloud Atlas. I think that's the best novel I've read this year. I'm tempted to re-read it right away.

Aside from that, I've got Stealth of Nations to read. It's about the "shadow economy" in many countries, and particularly in the Developing World.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Just finished Jurassic Park for that thread in SLAM. On to The Lost World.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I've got the e-book for Jurassic Park on hold, and I'm going to give it a re-read myself.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Over the past 2.5 days:
Read and finished: ""Johannes Cabal (2): The Detective". Verdict: Awesome-funny and damn fine good. (Just like the first).
"Fear To Tread"- James Swallow, Warhammer 40K, Horus Heresy - Damn good. Avoids the boring ass crap some other books fall for (I'm looking at YOU, Lion El Johnson), and it's a right crackling read.
Re-Read: Äurelian"by Adrian Dembsky Bowden.

Now reading (50%) "Feyvre Dream"By George R.R Martin. Mark Twain+Heart of Darkness+Tom Sawyer+Vampires+Martin brutalizing characters. Not bad so far, albeit not amazing. Martin's prose is typically fun, and i've been meaning to get around to it.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Run, Swim, Throw, Cheat: The science behind drugs in sport Started reading it at the bookstore, couldn't put it down, bought it and spent the next few days studying it and thinking about it. Part 3 of the book raises some interesting questions, caffeine has performance enhancing benefits is legal yet other similar drugs are banned. Why? Yeah...
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Just finished HMS Ulysses by Alistair MacLean.

A great book about the Murmansk/Archangelsk convoys, excelling in its description of the bitter fight and cold. It might be the best work of MacLean, even better than the Guns of Navarone.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Thanas wrote:Just finished HMS Ulysses by Alistair MacLean.

A great book about the Murmansk/Archangelsk convoys, excelling in its description of the bitter fight and cold. It might be the best work of MacLean, even better than the Guns of Navarone.
McLean's best books IMO are Where Eagles Dare and Ice Station Zebra. HMS Ulysees is noticeably different (but still good) given how obviously it reflects his time in the Navy and the general anger towards the institution.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Silver Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by Silver Jedi »

Dalton wrote:I've been told not to bother after Warlord of Mars. Is that accurate?
More or less. The first three are a true trilogy, ending on cliffhangers, picking back up immediately after, and telling a fairly coherent story. After that, things feel more like spinoffs, and IMO the quality of the writing declines a bit too.

Darth Nostril wrote:Try here http://arthursbookshelf.com/sci-fi/smith-ee/smithee.htm
Kiss goodbye to your social life.
You asshole :P
Not a n00b, just a lurker

108th post on Wed Jun 28, 2006 A Whoop!

200th post on Fri Feb 3, 2012 Six months shy of a decade!
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Set aside Lensman for now for some Cory Doctorow - Down & Out in the Magic Kingdom. Intriguing so far, and I sense a lot of cues from Stephenson.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

thejester wrote:
Thanas wrote:Just finished HMS Ulysses by Alistair MacLean.

McLean's best books IMO are Where Eagles Dare and Ice Station Zebra. HMS Ulysees is noticeably different (but still good) given how obviously it reflects his time in the Navy and the general anger towards the institution.
Haven't read zebra, but Eagles suspended my disbelief too much with the whole commando raid into a German castle stuff.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

re-reading my tomb kings army book, and reading the fifth elephant, sybil is trying to get sam to take a hint about something...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Third of the way into Peter F Hamilton Great North Road, by the time I finish it Iain M Banks The Hydrogen Sonata will have autodownloaded :D
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

A bit more than a third of the way through Shadowrun's 'Finding Your Own Truth' and going through 'Working on the Railroad' by Brian Solomon.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Just hit the final third of 'Shadows of Treachery' the latest Horus Heresy book. Really enjoyed the internal monologue of Dorn and his fears. Was also very chuffed to find most of the book is an IDB Night Lords novella.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Darth Nostril wrote:Third of the way into Peter F Hamilton Great North Road, by the time I finish it Iain M Banks The Hydrogen Sonata will have autodownloaded :D
Doesn't come out here until the 9th. I'm reading Hippocrates' Shadow, by David H. Newman, M.D.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'm reading The Industrial Revolution in World History, by Peter Stearns. It's pretty fascinating so far, and definitely a book I have to read slowly while savoring it.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Omeros
Youngling

Post by Omeros »

Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman. I'm not very far into it but it's surprisingly readable so far, although keeping track of the characters is a bit tricky with all those lengthy Russian names to cope with.