A question about Bane from the Dark Knight Rises

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Re: A question about Bane from the Dark Knight Rises

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

ryacko wrote:
JLTucker wrote:
Ahriman238 wrote:With an IV?
He seemed to know how to place a needle very quickly in his entrance.
I didn't quite understand why he did that.
He was putting blood into the dead body so they'd think it was the doctor when they tested what was left in the crash.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

Surely dentures would work better?
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

ryacko wrote:...
DNA?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

Flagg wrote:
ryacko wrote:...
DNA?
How many organizations have your DNA right now?

Considering that the CIA had to extract Pavel out of a wartorn country, I doubt there would be any entity around to collect, compare, or store DNA samples. Even if there was an investigation, to my knowledge, DNA isn't a common means nor is reliable. For the time it takes to find the crash (and perhaps the unusual debris trail), any DNA samples collected won't be as reliable.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Well what other explanation can you come up with, then? I never said the reasoning was sound outside of movie-script-logic.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

If a CIA black flight went down over land it'd likely be found within a day or two, all the more so since the area it crashed in was not heavily forested so it could be located on satellite photos and very likely had some kind of on board emergency transponder for just such events. DNA will last that long and more.

The CIA having DNA for the guy is more likely then having his dental records, if he even has any anywhere. A spy can lift a DNA sample off any number of objects, tooth brush works for example, you basically have to break into the guys dentist office to get dental information and god only knows when the person last saw a dentist who kept records. The US managed to get Bin Ladens DNA, lots of stuff is possible. Collection is not hard, analysis can be done with portable equipment, not that this is even a requirement since they might have had his DNA for years beforehand. The real life US intelligence budget is in the range of 85 billion dollars and all, you can buy all kinds of toys with that much money to blow.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

And if you think about it, a plane crashing makes it a lot more likely that you can get DNA of someone than enough teeth together to form a dental impression.
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:And if you think about it, a plane crashing makes it a lot more likely that you can get DNA of someone than enough teeth together to form a dental impression.
I can't imagine how the dead was identified before the wonders of DNA technology.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Well, most people didn't and stop don't die in ways which grossly disfigure them the way a plane crash might.
Of those who did, many simply were not. That's why everyone ended up building Tombs of the Unknown Solider for example after WW1 chewed up so many bodies, and after disasters like early industrial factory fires it wasn't uncommon to essentially have giant common funerals because badly burned bodies could not be identified even though the victims were known overall. Jewelry like wedding rings were often important in matters like that. Many people would be identified based on combinations of clothing fragments.

Go back far enough and people just traveled far less prior to air and before that railway and steamship travel became possible, people were more likely to work outside then inside large buildings, and generally people were much less likely situations in which identification would be difficult. Aside from warfare, when bodies would just be buried in mass graves anyway.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

ryacko wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:And if you think about it, a plane crashing makes it a lot more likely that you can get DNA of someone than enough teeth together to form a dental impression.
I can't imagine how the dead was identified before the wonders of DNA technology.
As Sea Skimmer said above, often times they weren't.