Celebrating 20 Years of the DC Animated Universe

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Celebrating 20 Years of the DC Animated Universe

Post by JME2 »

So, 20 years ago today, kids tuned into Fox to catch the first episode of Batman: The Animated Series. What started as a tie-in to Tim Burton's films instead became a franchise in its own right, one that helped redefine the DC Comics mythology for a new generation. It set new standards for Western animation and vocal performances and its impact is still felt 20 years later. To many fans, this became the definitive interpretation of not only the Dark Knight, but DC's entire catalog of heroes and villains.

But despite the end of Justice League Unlimited 6 years ago, it's legacy lives on and I'm still glad to be a fan. How about you guys? :mrgreen: :) :wink:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Celebrating 20 Years of the DC Animated Universe

Post by Crazedwraith »

Recently got Volume one of BTAS of DVD. So seeing a whole Heap of stuff I'd never seen before.

Still I remain a Terry McGinnis fan at heart. And Return Of The Joker is the DCAU i think I return to most frequently.

ha ha *zaps JME2 with joybuzzer*
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

*tips hat*

DCAU has continued to entertain me throughout my life. It is set apart by the consistent high level of quality. Never ever I really felt down by the plethora of amazing serieses and movies produced over nearly 2 decades. It is a remarkable feat to keep the bar so high for so long.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Well, thank goodness I'm sharing a time-share with Timmy Drake... :twisted:
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I remember catching a few eps when I was a wee squirt on Cartoon Network, and loving every second.
Then a few years later, I stumbled upon a JLU episode, just as Superman dished out the most incredible punch of all time:

I still giggle like a schoolgirl every time :D
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I too am a child of the DCAU. The voices for that show are the ones I hear in my head when I read the characters now. It as truly a spectacular part of the Renaissance age of animation, and that the whole lasted as long as it did is still a wonder in and of itself.

*tips hat*

It's truly a work of art.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

It has been the definitive form of the DC universe for me from the beginning, and I enjoy rewatching what DVDs I have of it whenever I can.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

“But all too soon the serums and the shocks took their toll, and the dear lad began to share such secrets with me, secrets that are mine alone to know... Bruce. It's true Batsy, I know everything. And kind of like the kid who peeks at his Christmas presents I must admit it's sadly anti-climactic. Behind all the stern and bat-o-rangs you're just a little boy in a playsuit crying for mommy and daddy. It'd be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. Oh what the hell, I'll laugh anyway. HA HA HA HA HA!”
The DCAU had incredible stories. It was during a time when Western animation was trying new things. I saw a bit of the original BTAS. Then years later I saw the combined series on the WB as the New Superman/Batman Adventures. Incredible stories they managed to tell. Batman beyond was very well done. Best animated movie in the series, Return of the Joker. Some of the most serious takes on the series. The Joker from ROTJ had many similarities to Heath Ledgers Joker.

And of course it was a role that Mark Hamill was destined for. He played two very different personalities on opposite ends of the spectrum. The very best of humanity, and the very worst.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I am sorry to say that i missed most of B:TAS during its original run, but among my favorite shows in my Teens was Justice League and JLA.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

The DCAU has produced some of the best animation ever shown on TV. Been a fan since day one.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:It has been the definitive form of the DC universe for me from the beginning....
After 20 years, most of that still holds true for me. Examples include Batman, Superman, the streamlining of the Fourth World mythos, etc.

In other areas like the Flash's rogues or the Green Lanterns, it's different since my views on those characters/mythologies has been so heavily influenced by the stories of the last decade (GL especially).
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I never had access to comics as a kid, so growing up this was the DC universe for me. With the coming of the internet, widespread fan sites, and Wikipedia, I got to learn more about what was going on in the actual comics. That includes all the crazy and excessively dark and violent stuff that's happened over the years. I've always admired the DCAU for being able to tell quality stories that appealed to all ages, without gratuitous deaths or silly retcons and reboots. I've gotten more into comics recently now that digital comics allow me to easily download all the recommended titles, but the DCAU is what made me a fan of the genre in the first place.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Jim Raynor wrote:I've gotten more into comics recently now that digital comics allow me to easily download all the recommended titles, but the DCAU is what made me a fan of the genre in the first place.
Likewise. It was more through the DCAU than the Burton films that I became a comics fan. I still have a love for certain characters based on their DCAU appearances like Jonah Hex and Dr. Fate.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I loved that old BTAS series. Episodes like 'Batman is in my Basement' and 'Silicon Soul' for the twelve-year-old me really opened my eyes about what animation could do.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Honestly, whenever I consider the DCAU, I can't help but feel that its medium is a superior one for the setting and stories. I've become jaded on the actual comic book medium, with its soap opera tendencies and the inevitable effect of having scores of writers and editors in the long term, not to mention the parallel runs of multiple other comic lines by different writers and editors, resulting in botched continuity in both short and long-term periods.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:Honestly, whenever I consider the DCAU, I can't help but feel that its medium is a superior one for the setting and stories. I've become jaded on the actual comic book medium, with its soap opera tendencies and the inevitable effect of having scores of writers and editors in the long term, not to mention the parallel runs of multiple other comic lines by different writers and editors, resulting in botched continuity in both short and long-term periods.
Yeah, that's been my feeling for a while too.

All the series, especially BTAS, had the advantage of decades of stories that could analyze, pick the best of the bunch, and then distill in something new while staying true to its roots. And while the comics are ongoing and stuff is constantly reversed based on writer preferences, Team Timm stuck with what they established and gave the DCAU a defined beginning, middle, and end.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Alyeska wrote:
“But all too soon the serums and the shocks took their toll, and the dear lad began to share such secrets with me, secrets that are mine alone to know... Bruce. It's true Batsy, I know everything. And kind of like the kid who peeks at his Christmas presents I must admit it's sadly anti-climactic. Behind all the stern and bat-o-rangs you're just a little boy in a playsuit crying for mommy and daddy. It'd be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. Oh what the hell, I'll laugh anyway. HA HA HA HA HA!”
Cue one of the most grimly satisfying ass-kickings in the entire DCAU.

Incidentally, that's my favorite piece of Joker dialogue in the entire franchise. Paul Dini really was the best Joker writer of the entire team. The key to the Clown is to strike the right balance between humor and malice, but Dini really had a knack for it. I still think this film is Hamill's best DCAU performance.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

And one of the best scenes in the movie, Joker actually cracks.

Joker: Funny guy
Terry: Can't say the same for you
Joker: Impudent brat. Who do you think you're talking to?
Terry: Not a comedian I'll tell you that
Joker: Shut your mouth!
Terry: The real Batman never talked to you much did he? Thats probably why you were so fixated on him.
Joker: Don't play psycho analyst with me boy!
Terry: Oh, I don't need a degree to figure you out. The real reason you kept coming back was because you never got a laugh out of the old man.
Joker: I'm not hearing this!
Terry: Get a clue clownie! He's got no sense of humor. He wouldn't know a good joke if it bit him in the cape. Not that you ever had a good joke.
Joker: Shut up. Shut up!
Terry: I mean joybuzzers, squirting flowers, lame! Where's the A material? Make a face, drop your pants, something!
Joker: Show yourself!
Terry: You make me laugh. But only because I think you're kind of pathetic. Hahahahahaha!
Joker: STOP THAT!
Terry: Hehehe. So you fell in a tank of acid and got your skin bleached and decided to become a supervilian? What, you couldn't get work as a rodeo clown? Hahahahaha!
Joker: Don't you dare laugh at me!
Terry: HAHAHAHAHAHA! Why!?! I thought the Joker always wanted to make Batman laugh! HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Joker: You're not Batman!!
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
PLR2
Redshirt

Post by PLR2 »

Being born in 1989 I had the joy of growing up with the Timm-verse, and the Marvel Cartoons of the 90's. Some of my best memories are watching BTAS with my grandpa. Most things just seemed so inadequate after watching Batman, Superman, Spidey, and the X men, the other cartoons just couldnt compare.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Alyeska wrote:And one of the best scenes in the movie, Joker actually cracks.
That remains Terry's defining moment: mind-fucking the Joker of all people...
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Oh hell yeah, it is the defining scene of Terry's Batman career, a moment that showed just how much he was his own man.

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Yea.h. As much as I love MOTP, ROTJ is the best of the movies and probably the sungle best entry in the DCAU. Everything from the writing to the animation to the vocal performances is perfect.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Rewatching some JLU episodes for fun. 8)