The Booth at the end

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

The Booth at the end

Post by Alyeska »

Has anyone here seen this show? Its been airing on Hulu and FX in the United Kingdom. The premise is of a man that can make you a deal. You desire something and you make a deal. He reads a task from a book and you have to complete this task to get what you want.

A guy tests to see if it works and asks for flowers for his girlfriend. His deal involved helping a dozen ladies cross the street.

A guy wants a super model for his girlfriend. His deal involves protecting a little girl.

A guy wants his child to be cured of a lethal disease. His deal involves killing a little girl....

A nun wants to hear God again. Her deal requires that she get pregnant.

The man that makes the deals does not bring them true. He simply makes the deal and assigns the random task read from a leather bound notebook. The request is always fulfilled on completion of the task. Anything appears possible. A girl is brought back to life. Another deal involved a wish to wipe out a religion (and its practitioners) from the world.

The format of the show is pretty interesting. Its about the people as they talk with the man. He sits at a booth in a diner, at the end. He requires that people tell him about their progress on the task. So you see whats happening based on how they talk to the man. And the stories interweave in such interesting ways.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Re: The Booth at the end

Post by DarkSilver »

I actually went look up this series after seeing this post.

I'm on Series 2 episode 2 - I loved the interweaving webs of the various stories in Series 1. Series 2 was a bit jarring at first - the actor's shaved, the left Cadillac Jack's for this new place......and we find out by the end of the first episode the Waitress apparently has something to do with it.

It's a interesting premise....I have have questions about WHO The guy is, and what power he represents. Still, he is always careful to point out that he can is only offering the opportunity....he never tells the people they HAVE to do it, and just because the people do not accept the deal, or fails to go through with it, doesn't mean that the opposite of what they want will occur.......

This definitely has my interest.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Just watched all the episodes on Hulu. I'm curious as to how much they're going to keep the Man vague or if they really want to develop their mythology of the book.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

It looks like season 2 is over.

It will be interesting to see as they delve deeper into the nature of the Man vs the nature of the Book.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."