ABC orders Joss Whedon SHIELD pilot

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

ABC orders Joss Whedon SHIELD pilot

Post by FaxModem1 »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/2 ... 38259.html
ABC Orders 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' Pilot From Joss Whedon And Marvel TV

The Huffington Post | By Laura Prudom Posted: 08/29/2012 12:07 am Updated: 08/29/2012 4:03 am
Share on Google+
Get TV Alerts:
React:
Amazing
Inspiring
Funny
Scary
Hot
Crazy
Important
Weird
Follow:
The Avengers, Video, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Cobie Smulders, Dr. Horrible, How I Met Your Mother, Joss Whedon, Marvel Comics, S.H.I.E.L.D., Samuel L. Jackson, Television, The CW, Disney, Dollhouse, Firefly, Joss Whedon The Avengers, Marvel, Marvel's The Avengers, Shield, Slideexpand, TV News
Joss Whedon
Joss Whedon could return to TV with a "S.H.I.E.L.D." pilot for ABC.

Whedonverse rejoice! "Buffy" and "Firefly" creator Joss Whedon could soon be returning to TV.

According to Deadline, ABC has ordered a pilot for "S.H.I.E.L.D.," a live-action series set in the same universe as Whedon's "Avengers" movie.

The pilot will be penned by Whedon and his longtime collaborators, brother Jed Whedon and sister-in-law Maurissa Tancharoen, who worked together on the successful web series "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog." Whedon is also set to direct the project, if his schedule allows.

S.H.I.E.L.D. (which stands for Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division in the Marvel cinematic universe, and Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate in the comics) is a military law enforcement agency and peacekeeping group headed up by Nick Fury, who was played by Samuel L. Jackson in the Marvel movies. Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. were responsible for spearheading the Avengers Initiative, which brought together Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Captain America (Chris Evans), Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) to combat Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and the alien Chitauri warriors in the summer blockbuster.

Deadline reports that production on the pilot is set to begin immediately, with Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen executive producing alongside Jeffrey Bell and Marvel TV’s Jeph Loeb.

Nick Fury, Maria Hill ("How I Met Your Mother" star Cobie Smulders), Black Widow and Hawkeye were agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in both the comics and "The Avengers," but we're not holding our breath for any A-list cameos should the pilot be picked up to series. Still, with Whedon's involvement, perhaps Jackson could be tempted to appear as a special guest star when sweeps roll around, and depending on the scope of production and "How I Met Your Mother's" longevity, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Smulders could appear somewhere down the line.

Information on the story for the "S.H.I.E.L.D." pilot is still sparse, but we're crossing our fingers for a cameo from fan-favorite Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg). The character seemed to die at the hands of Loki in "The Avengers" (although some conspiracy theorists believe his demise was a ruse masterminded by Nick Fury), but could always appear if the show is presented as a prequel to the film.

The pilot order is the latest in a line of investments that Disney (which owns Marvel and ABC) has made in Whedon of late. Earlier this month, it was announced that Whedon would be returning to write and direct the "Avengers" sequel for Marvel, a move that was far from a done deal as recently as July, when the writer-director admitted he had yet to decide whether he wanted to be involved with "Avengers 2" at Comic-Con.

Regardless of the show's ultimate fate, any network offering to bring Whedon back to TV is fine by us. The fan-favorite writer has had mixed results with scripted series since the end of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel" in the early aughts, with cult classic "Firefly" lasting only eleven episodes on Fox before being cancelled in 2002. Whedon's next project for Fox, the less beloved but no less ambitious "Dollhouse," lasted 26 episodes before it too was cancelled. Whedon, Whedon and Tancharoen's "Dr. Horrible" will make its TV debut on October 9 at 9 p.m. ET on The CW, after premiering exclusively online back in 2008.

UPDATE: Whedon moderated a Q&A with Ira Glass and Mike Birbiglia, screenwriters of "Sleepwalk With Me," after a screening of the movie at the Writers Guild Theater in Beverly Hills on Aug. 28. According to Cynthia Littleton of Variety (who Tweeted a few paraphrased quotes from the event), he shared a little more intel on "S.H.I.E.L.D." during the panel.
So, how would this work? Could they get Samuel L Jackson to do TV?
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Re: ABC orders Joss Whedon SHIELD pilot

Post by Stormin »

Have you seen the movies he has done? He'll do anything for a dollar!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

FaxModem1 wrote:
So, how would this work? Could they get Samuel L Jackson to do TV?
Well if it's SHIELD and not "The Adventures of Nick Fury" staring Samuel J Jackson they could easily get Jackson to come in and spend a week filming his role with not a cameo role but a minor role. Maybe use him as a bookend character or a voice over intro work. How are they going to do this show? Is it like a X-Files evil villain/stolen Stark technology of the week? Is this a drama series? How exactly are they going to make a show about SHIELD if they don't involve super powers unless they it's a pure wetworks style show about all the nasty business SHIELD is used for by the government.
Stormin wrote:Have you seen the movies he has done? He'll do anything for a dollar!
Snakes on a Plane was a cinematic masterpiece of a popcorn movie.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Zanfib
Redshirt

Post by Zanfib »

At least it's not Fox...
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Zanfib wrote:At least it's not Fox...
But it could have been HBO... how awesome would that have been? A show with Boardwalk Empire or Game of Thrones budget and production values?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

I definitely feel like the series could use at least a few cameos to make it feel like it's in continuity with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Johannsson and Renner are probably too big-time to be regulars on television, but I'd be satisfied with them appearing in an episode or two. And I hear How I Met Your Mother might be ending soon, so I'm hopeful Smulders could end up as a regular.

There's just so many characters I'm hoping for appearances by... Taskmaster. Doc Samson. Luke Cage and Danny Rand. Hercules. Motherfucking Henry Peter Gyrich could be an asshole liaison!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I wouldn't mind if it was an X-files style show, or one like Torchwood. Either setup would work for SHIELD.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

LadyTevar wrote:I wouldn't mind if it was an X-files style show, or one like Torchwood. Either setup would work for SHIELD.
If they operated in a vacuum, yeah. Unfortunately, they operate in the Marvel Universe so unless you want to move it out of continuity (wether with the comics, the movie universe, or even just the feel of the Marvel universe in general) you'd need at least semi-regular cameos by the Spandex Brigade because SHIELD does operate in an environment where those people are pretty definitely present.
If you park it in the movie universe you might get away with Stark phoning in here and there for a while what with there being all of six Avengers but I suspect sooner or later the audience is going to ask 'so where are the rest of the costumed guys?'
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

Anyone that plays a character has to believe that they may have movie roles that would go along with it.

Get cast as Hercules, Luke Cage, Iron Fist in the TV show and they might get the same role in the movie.

That might attract a higher level of talent than you would otherwise see in a TV show.

Very interesting.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I agree that it'd be nice to have cameos or occasional appearances by Fury, Hill, and others.

As to the continuity overlap with the movies, a focus on day-to-day operations might work out for the best. It could be justified in-universe due to political fallout from the Chitauri incursion; the agency's management could be busy with their own problems. After all, Fury did defy his superiors' direct orders in order to stop them from nuking New York City. And since they introduced Maria Hill, it could mean that Fury may be forced out, as was the case when Hill was introduced in the early 2000's.

But, it's too early to tell and we'll just have to wait and see.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The very fact that they're doing a SHIELD series means they're aiming this at least partially at Marvel fans, and those are eventually going to ask where the Tights Community dissapeared to. It needn't be any of the big names necessarily but sooner or later, if you want to keep it Marvel's SHIELD, somebody's going to ask that question.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Arawn Fenn
Youngling

Post by Arawn Fenn »

Bright wrote:Motherfucking Henry Peter Gyrich could be an asshole liaison!
Though it probably doesn't matter to the MCU, he was said to have been killed in the first X-Men film.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

The X-men films aren't part of the Marvel Film continuity since Sony owns the license. The X-men haven't been introduced in the MCU yet, I honestly don't know if they ever will be.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Mr Bean wrote:
Zanfib wrote:At least it's not Fox...
But it could have been HBO... how awesome would that have been? A show with Boardwalk Empire or Game of Thrones budget and production values?
Disney owns Marvel now, remember?
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

And Buffy was owned by Fox. Didn't stop it from airing on the WB (though it limited that run to 5 seasons on that channel).

That said, it's just easier for the company to air it on one of their channels. They can outsource it, but that occurs rarely.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

While the film Buffy the Vampire Slayer was owned by Fox, Whedon owned the intellectual property.
Darth Holbytlan
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Holbytlan »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:While the film Buffy the Vampire Slayer was owned by Fox, Whedon owned the intellectual property.
Uh, no. 20th Century Fox owns Buffy the Vampire Slayer, lock, stock, and barrel. Even the comics, which the studio has no real involvement in, all list them as the copyright owner. Not to mention why they can start a new Buffy movie project without any permission from Whedon.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Well what do you know? Thanks for the correction.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Majin Gojira wrote:And Buffy was owned by Fox. Didn't stop it from airing on the WB (though it limited that run to 5 seasons on that channel)..
The last two seasons then aired on UPN (ugh.....UPN....).
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Skylon wrote:The last two seasons then aired on UPN (ugh.....UPN....).
I thought my implication was enough, but if you insist on being more explicit . . . Yes, it did air more seasons. The cost of licensing goes up after season 5, hence why the WB canceled it. UPN saw an opportunity, and we got two more seasons (of lesser overall quality).
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

somehow my 2000ad comics idled brain over here in the library read this as the ABC Warriors were joining the Avengers....

"Erm gay robot just beat hawkeye's self esteem
cap: nick, Joe Pineapples is a transvestite robot, not a gay robot....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin