Man of Steel

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Man of Steel

Post by Ahriman238 »

First real trailer is up, so I guess it's time to discuss next summer's big DC movie.

Which tells us absolutely nothing about the story that isn't known to the entire world.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Re: Man of Steel

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Teaser trailers rarely give you meaningful info on the plot.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Wasn't this trailer released quite a while ago?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It does hint at some ideas though (maybe Superman's parents are not fishermen rather than farmers?). The narrator speech did sound interesting.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

ray245 wrote:Wasn't this trailer released quite a while ago?
I remember seeing this with "Dark Knight Rises" in the theater last month.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Actually, it looks to me like some of Kent's roaming before he found The Fortress and joined the Daily Planet.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I want to see it regardless of what it is about. :) Yes, I'm a shameless Superman fan. :) I even liked Superman Returns along with its flaws.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

At the moment, I have no real interest in this. I'm honestly getting sick of Superman adaptions.

As we get closer and more footage is released, then I'd be willing to see it should it look interesting.
edaw1982
Padawan Learner

Post by edaw1982 »

Russel Crowe as Jor-El?
Should be interesting seeing how he handles the role.
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

If the S shield at the end of the trailer is any indication I suspect I'm really going to dislike the costume.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Batman wrote:If the S shield at the end of the trailer is any indication I suspect I'm really going to dislike the costume.
Seconded.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I'm thinking that the S shown at the end is the one used by Jor-El not the one Supes uses. I hope anyway.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

JME2 wrote:
Batman wrote:If the S shield at the end of the trailer is any indication I suspect I'm really going to dislike the costume.
Seconded.
Interestingly enough, not only does the left one have pretty much the traditional chest symbol, but other than the pointless fish scale look it's actually better than what DC currently has Clark wearing.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

For those not following the comic book continuity madly, what does that look like?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Zixinus wrote:For those not following the comic book continuity madly, what does that look like?
This: http://www.evilsquirrelcomics.com/image ... erman.jpeg
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

There is barely any difference between the costumes. At best, the comic book one seems unnecessarily tight in displaying Superman's muscles.
Beyond that, I think the costumes are mostly similar.

Compared to Aaron Diaz's redesign of the guy, there is barely any difference.
Credo!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Zixinus wrote:Compared to Aaron Diaz's redesign of the guy, there is barely any difference.
Please tell me they did not let him continue this madness?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Somebody's working with a different definition of 'awesome' than me. Diana's sword looks bent and blue shift at Mach 10? The artist is apparently not very good at math :D
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I thought I posted this. Probably closed the tab before clicking the submit button.

The reworks was something the artist made on his blog. It is not "official". He merely wanted to make a point about reboots, using his own ideas and interpretations of the characters (I like the idea of Superman and Wonder Woman in particular).
Credo!
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

:wtf: Um-you were the one who posted it? It even shows your name in her ladyship's quote?
And the artist is of course free to do whatever he chooses. We are, in turn, free to think it sucks donkey balls and fervently hope his works never become official.
As for the (presumable) movie costume, yeah, it has a lot of similarities to Clark's new 52 duds. The difference is it manages to marginally avoid looking like total shit (at least from that one still, we'll have to see what it actually looks like in action-or even other stills with somebody actually wearing it) while the Boy Scout's current in-universe garments are just close enough to his traditional garb to make the completely pointless changes to it visually fatal in my not the tiniest bit humble opinion.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Batman wrote::wtf: Um-you were the one who posted it? It even shows your name in her ladyship's quote?
I was going a bit sleep-deprived when I typed that, so don't mind that bit.

I mean that I thought I've already written a post in response to LadyTevar but I didn't understand
And the artist is of course free to do whatever he chooses. We are, in turn, free to think it sucks donkey balls and fervently hope his works never become official.
Each to their own, I guess. Just keep in mind, that the author's primary intent was to demonstrate a point about reboots. I, for one, would be curious at a more radical reinterpretation of some of the characters but that's another discussion I guess.
As for the (presumable) movie costume, yeah, it has a lot of similarities to Clark's new 52 duds. The difference is it manages to marginally avoid looking like total shit (at least from that one still, we'll have to see what it actually looks like in action-or even other stills with somebody actually wearing it) while the Boy Scout's current in-universe garments are just close enough to his traditional garb to make the completely pointless changes to it visually fatal in my not the tiniest bit humble opinion.
I sincerely can barely tell the difference. I have to look for them. The differences appear subtle at best to be.
Credo!