Peter Jackson- We're going to need a third movie

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Re: Peter Jackson- We're going to need a third movie

Post by Civil War Man »

Arawn Fenn wrote:
aieeegrunt wrote:Guy takes a book that was always thought to be impossible to film
Thanks to a lack of CGI in earlier eras.
aieeegrunt wrote:and knocks it out of the fucking park.
Thanks to CGI.
Lord of the Rings actually used significantly less CGI than one would expect. It was used for obvious stuff like the Eye of Sauron, Trolls, Ents, and various forms of magic. But they put a lot of work into perspective tricks to, for example, make the actors playing Hobbits appear Hobbit-sized without having to use any CGI.
Arawn Fenn
Youngling

Post by Arawn Fenn »

DesertFly wrote:Just because certain themes and elements appealed to him so much that he couldn't help but include them in an unrelated work does not mean that it was ever intended to be linked.
I don't think I'm the one being dense here. If the characters in The Hobbit get their weapons from a treasure trove that originated in Gondolin, how is The Hobbit an "unrelated work"?
DesertFly wrote:Remember, the original edition had references to (iirc, among others) policemen and China. Does this mean that it was meant to be set in modern-day Earth?
Policemen and China LOL.

No, I think the most obvious clue that it was meant to be set in modern-day Earth was the use of birthday presents. And dragons.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Arawn Fenn wrote:
DesertFly wrote:Just because certain themes and elements appealed to him so much that he couldn't help but include them in an unrelated work does not mean that it was ever intended to be linked.
I don't think I'm the one being dense here. If the characters in The Hobbit get their weapons from a treasure trove that originated in Gondolin, how is The Hobbit an "unrelated work"?
It doesn't. Neither does it make the fact those weapons are from Gondolin in any way shape or form relevant to the story of the book.
DesertFly wrote:Remember, the original edition had references to (iirc, among others) policemen and China. Does this mean that it was meant to be set in modern-day Earth?
Policemen and China LOL.
No, I think the most obvious clue that it was meant to be set in modern-day Earth was the use of birthday presents. And dragons.
I as usually don't get the joke. And as someone who DOES live on modern-day Earth (if not the real one) and DOES have to deal with dragons from time to time I don't find that part of your point necessarily all that convincing. :P
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

*winces*

Thanks for pointing out that typo Spoonist...obviously I meant LOTR...

Lord of The Rings though shouldn't be much of a judge on the Hobbit. At least the parts that are actually from the Hobbit book. They are two very different stories, and it shows to those who read them. So for the actual Hobbit parts I'm going to judge Jackson on his talent, not how he did LOTR. The Ring War stuff though...that's closer to his older movies, so I can judge them compared to LOTR. :P
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Arawn Fenn
Youngling

Post by Arawn Fenn »

Batman wrote:Neither does it make the fact those weapons are from Gondolin in any way shape or form relevant to the story of the book.
I guess that's true, although it does explain why Sting's enchantment is so reliable.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

New trailer:

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Looks tits. Can't wait.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Imperator
Youngling

Post by The Imperator »

I cannot wait for this movie to come out!