How does one deal with a co-worker with ADHD?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: How does one deal with a co-worker with ADHD?

Post by Broomstick »

Simon_Jester wrote:I think most of the methods for "how to function with ADHD or help someone else do so" either require supervision, or require that the person with the disability spend a lot of time learning coping strategies. If she's working alone in the shop, and hasn't learned any coping strategies of her own... I don't know.
For someone who probably had NO help with coping strategies, who was probably punished in school rather than helped, and likely wasn't diagnosed until well into adulthood she's probably done pretty good with figuring out some coping on her own. Pretty sure bet she's never had professional therapy, though.
At that point most of what I can think of is sort of obvious- try to get to her on a day when she's on her meds, talk to her about procedure, especially the tickets... eh. You've probably already tried it.
Yes, it just gets FRUSTRATING sometimes! She does try, and she has improved with the tickets (it probably helps I do NOT criticize her spelling and weird written grammar. I'm sure she's caught hell over it before, but as long as I can understand what she's trying to communicate I can put up with the misspellings and weird constructions. "Black shoo need sown" is a bit cryptic but I can decode it. At least her handwriting is legible.)

Which is why I've been asking for help here. This is not something I've dealt with before so I'm at a loss for how to proceed.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Broomstick wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:I assume here that Broomstick is a sort of de facto senior position here; she's telling Coworker what to do more often than the reverse, because she's got more job experience. I could be wrong about this.
Nope, not senior. Well, a little more experienced and skilled, but in no way in authority over her. As I said, I can offer suggestions and remind her about deadlines but that's about it. Certainly when she asks for help I offer whatever I can.
Put this way, I would think you have at least some moral authority here. "Betty, maybe you could do this, and this, and follow a checklist when you do it? It might help."

[Optional: "This is based on some research people have done on how to help people with ADHD to concentrate, aside from just meds." You might not want to say that. I might in your shoes, but I doubt I'd fit in your shoes anyway.

It might not work, but at least it's a constructive suggestion that she's likely to take, especially if she knows she has a problem. That's what I was trying to get at.

(Knowing she has a problem is not the same as knowing that she's doing a lot of jobs badly)
And... Broomstick, is this woman hyper as well as having a short attention span? ADD and ADHD are not the same thing; without the hyperactivity there is no H.
I am strictly going off what she told me. I'm in no way qualified to diagnose. From my viewpoint she is the most distractable person I have ever dealt with. She also seems a bundle of nerves/energy. Talking with her, even being in the same room with her, can be exhausting. I'm not sure I can explain why that is.
Then I have no further doubt the H was warranted.

3) You might try giving her tasks that change frequently
As noted, I can't/don't assign her tasks. That's the boss' job.
Then the boss might want to think about this. If there's a job where she changes up her routine every five minutes, she might actually turn out to be good at that, instead of being generally sub-par.
In her case, that might be especially helpful. This will help her keep track of whether she remembered to finish her repairs, and whether she's producing as much as she should be. It might be a bad idea for other reasons, though. Take this with a grain of salt.
That would be a great idea... except for her literacy problems. She does have issues with written language skills as well. She compensates with a fantastic memory, but until someone figures out how to download directly from the brain to paper this is probably not the best approach.
Even vague mnemonic crawls or little doodles might be better than nothing. But, yes, granted.
If you give her a task, give it to her fully-formed. Don't add or change or mix things up when she's in the middle of it.
I will definitely keep that in mind. Or breaking down a complex task into subroutines. Clear goal and concise directions, right?
Bada-bing.

It's really unfortunate that she's not working under supervision. Having a minder check up on you every five to ten minutes can help with things like this.
The boss has asked me for feedback on what she does well, and is trying to keep her focused on tasks she actually does well. What she does well she does very very well. One of the problems is that what she doesn't do well she's horrid at but doesn't know that she's bad at it. She has this massive blind spot in that regard. The boss is giving her at least a half day of training a week (or trying to – it doesn't always work out) but has told me (whether she should or not) that really 3-4 hours of “Betty” is all she can take.
Again, any task which changes up frequently (do this for five minutes, then that for five, then the other thing for five) might be better than a monotonous task. Also, checklists- go over them with her verbally, maybe even act them out with her, as part of training. Then see if she can carry them out, and remember to check the box every time she does it.

You can go through a lot of paper that way, but it's better than forgetting important steps in the middle of a process. How are you at technical writing, Broomstick? Maybe you'd be the one to write these...
Broomstick wrote:
At that point most of what I can think of is sort of obvious- try to get to her on a day when she's on her meds, talk to her about procedure, especially the tickets... eh. You've probably already tried it.
Yes, it just gets FRUSTRATING sometimes! She does try, and she has improved with the tickets (it probably helps I do NOT criticize her spelling and weird written grammar. I'm sure she's caught hell over it before, but as long as I can understand what she's trying to communicate I can put up with the misspellings and weird constructions. "Black shoo need sown" is a bit cryptic but I can decode it. At least her handwriting is legible.)
Bada-bing. When you're not actively trying to teach someone better spelling and grammar, correcting their spelling and grammar... yeah. Not so hot.

This has even been documented- ESOL students get WORSE when you constantly correct their grammatical errors, instead of letting them finish ungrammatical sentences so they can express complete thoughts and opinions.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

This might be a bit out of left field, but playing to her strengths - and you say that verbal communication is one of them - a tape recorder so that audio notes can be taken to help supplement the written ones can be used? I know rambling might be an issue, but
Broomstick wrote:
I did not know that.

I know you said it wasn't voluntary, but is there any way to harness some of that?
Generally, no. You can't really pick what you zero in on, and trust me, it's just as frustrating for the person with ADHD as it is the people around them because the person with ADHD knows that their brain isn't working right and knows it, and can't fix it no matter how hard they want to.

This other suggestion that might not be the most popular idea around here, but I have found that one of the most productive techniques to help focus is clearing one's head with meditation and prayer. It can really help with focusing by getting rid of distractions. I know it's not the most 'rational' idea in the thread, but it does work for me.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Keeping an ordered mind is useful for anyone. Mental discipline of that sort is just more important for those who suffer this kind of disability.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Broomstick wrote:Talking with her, even being in the same room with her, can be exhausting. I'm not sure I can explain why that is.
I think it's because her affect is that of a person in a rush or who at least isn't calm. That tends to spark off a sympathetic reaction, adrenaline flow, etc: "there's a fire somewhere!" in viewers.

Eleas wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Of course she is. Hyperfocus is a not-too-uncommon trait among ADHD people. I used to have it quite often when I was a kid. It's never voluntary.
I did not know that.

I know you said it wasn't voluntary, but is there any way to harness some of that?
That's a good question. I was being imprecise, because when it clicks, it's very much voluntary; you just can't turn it on or off. It's like being in the zone, so it comes with a mild dose of euphoria. Not always repeatable, but some people tend to be fairly regular when it comes to what sets off their hyperfocus. I found a good link, Hyperfocus and ADD, which included a list of pointers.
  • If you give her a task, give it to her fully-formed. Don't add or change or mix things up when she's in the middle of it.
I will definitely keep that in mind. Or breaking down a complex task into subroutines. Clear goal and concise directions, right?
Absolutely. The idea isn't to pre-chew the information, really, because she's able to do that herself: the idea is to reduce spurious ambiguity and internal contradictions.
Not questioning your expertise here, but her memory is actually above average, likely because she uses it as her main compensation for poor written language skills (verbal language is also excellent).
I see. That's the problem with diagnosing such things. ADHD is a grab bag of complimentary traits (you don't "have" ADHD, you're diagnosed with it), and I've very little experience with this end of the spectrum (dyslexia + memory). So I may not be as helpful as I'd like to be in that regard.
Now if she could just leave a voice mail without rambling into a dozen unrelated subjects... >sigh<
Probably also a problem with faceless one-way communication in general -- she's likely able to adjust slightly by reading her interlocutor for cues. I too tend to ramble in such situations, though nowhere near this degree.
By the same token, asking an ADHD person to prioritize under pressure without a clear priority may lead to congestion: since there's no clear order of precedence, the ADHD person can't properly order the tasks, so none of the tasks get done.
OK, that does explain a few messes that have greeted me when I show up to work in the morning...

Unfortunately, there is a retail aspect to this job – meaning the general public. We all know what sort of nasty beasts the general public can be. I will try to be tolerant of her leaving that sort of mess.
That's all one can ask, really. I could write a step-by-step guide to how to make things progressively worse in that regard, because I remember that process unusually well from my childhood.

Aside from the extraordinary memory, she also has some well developed fact-to-face social skills. She can be quite personable and persuasive in conversation. Which is likely a factor in why she often is the best merchandise seller in any given week, she's got rad salesmanship skills. She is also ridiculously eager to be useful. That can work against her, when she takes on tasks she is not qualified or able to do in an attempt to be helpful.
Ah, I know denial. I can only speak for myself, but even today there's a lot of lingering resentment at my childhood at how I was treated. When you don't know why you're being treated this way or why you're different, and when no-one will allow for the fact that this isn't something you can help, you tend to reach the conclusion that outsiders are out to get you. That instinctive defensiveness may remain, and it can sometimes make it hard for you to accept constructive criticism or the idea that you're doing something wrong.

Again, this may be specific to myself, but the thing I've always found the most paralyzing is the idea of inevitability. All too often, I was told that "now you've screwed it up" with the subtext that there was nothing I could do to fix it... and then I was asked to do something anyway. A better solution would probably have been to not frame it in terms of "you're a fucking retard who should feel bad" but "let's find a good way to fix this situation and get back on track."
The boss has asked me for feedback on what she does well, and is trying to keep her focused on tasks she actually does well. What she does well she does very very well. One of the problems is that what she doesn't do well she's horrid at but doesn't know that she's bad at it. She has this massive blind spot in that regard. The boss is giving her at least a half day of training a week (or trying to – it doesn't always work out) but has told me (whether she should or not) that really 3-4 hours of “Betty” is all she can take.
And that's okay, I think. It's far better to spend 3-4 hours teaching someone effectively and then going off for a break than being miserable for 4 additional hours when nothing gets done anyway. Dealing with ADHD may sometimes induce similar symptoms in people (i.e. mental tiredness), and a time-out is really not unreasonable.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I would really appreciate any of the ADD (Not ADHD centric) tips people are bringing up here.
Especially any to do with studying, University, Biology, laboratory/research/programming work.

IM/PM/email.

Thanks!
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

well what I've noticed is that if you try to keep things as "fun" as possible it's much easier to slip into the hyper focus state, granted I got only mild case of ADD (enough to be a problem though), notes help too, anything that makes you focus on the task at hand really, rather then letting your mind wander to God knows where.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

You guys are starting to scare me, as I see myself mirrored in your descriptions. Never thought of myself as an ADD case...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[Completely personal random opinion follows:]

I think it's a matter of degree. A lot of common psychiatric conditions like depression and ADD are... really, they're just exaggerated versions of normal personality traits. Everyone has a finite attention span and a certain amount of inner energy that drives them to do things. But for some people, something gets a bit out of balance, their attention span shortens and their inner perkiness goes into overdrive, and it becomes a disability. Everyone has gloomy periods*, but for clinical depressives that gloominess is exaggerated by chemical imbalances, and is applied beyond all rhyme or reason.

So except for a few very phlegmatic people, almost everyone can see some ADD/ADHD-like symptoms in themselves. Everyone has times when they get distracted, after all.

*There is a story from Herodotus. Supposedly, as his tremendous army (reputed to number in the hundreds of thousands) assembled in Anatolia to invade Greece, Xerxes looked out over the ranks, stretching to the horizon. He looked very sad. One of his advisers asked him what the matter was, and he said "of all this great army, there is not one man who has never wished that he were dead."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

TimothyC wrote:This other suggestion that might not be the most popular idea around here, but I have found that one of the most productive techniques to help focus is clearing one's head with meditation and prayer. It can really help with focusing by getting rid of distractions. I know it's not the most 'rational' idea in the thread, but it does work for me.
Co-signed on this one. Nothing helped me get a handle on my wandering focus than concentrated meditation and mindfulness practice.

Broomstick - the most important thing you can do for her as far as I'm concerned, is PATIENCE. We respond poorly to impatience for all sorts of reasons. So if you do find yourself in need to shoulder-shaking, give yourself a second to calm down, right then in the moment. If it's a face-to-face interaction, she might also like the chance to center. She's exhausting, I get, that, but she's probably also exhausting herself.

I would like to see your bosses give her more allowance for the extra time she requires before and after work. I have put in unpaid overtime in every job I'd had - except for my most recent, where they allow me to take the time I need and actually pay for it. And that is a much more skilled job than the others. Let your bosses know that if she needs to take the time to set up, then she needs that time.

How precise are the job tickets? Are there spaces for shoe details she's not filling in, or is the only named space "name?" If she had a more precise "we need these details" checklist, she might be able to fill them out better.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

The Grim Squeaker wrote:I would really appreciate any of the ADD (Not ADHD centric) tips people are bringing up here.
Especially any to do with studying, University, Biology, laboratory/research/programming work.

IM/PM/email.

Thanks!
I'm going to PM you on this.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Subject: How does one deal with a co-worker with ADHD?
InnerBrat wrote:
The Grim Squeaker wrote:I would really appreciate any of the ADD (Not ADHD centric) tips people are bringing up here.

IM/PM/email.

Thanks!
I'm going to PM you on this.
Thanks!

I'm always looking for more and better and detailed self help tips to improve my currently crappy academic record.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

JLTucker wrote:You realize it's not her fault but you're here talking shit about her and saying you want to physically assault her. This is a post by someone who does not want to understand what it's like to have the disorder and would rather rant.
They certainly don't exhibit the massive and ignorant frustration you have on display in this thread. My advice would be to calmly work with her, try to engage her conversations while you work.
Col Crackpot wrote:Would you also want to grab someone in a wheelchair and scream "WALK DAMMIT!"?
JLTucker wrote:Read her post again. She said she wanted to physically assault her because she can't handle the annoyance. That's beyond "I'm annoyed." That's a comment by someone who is completely ignorant on how debilitative this disorder can be. Of course her intention is likely not to get her coworker fired, but if she remains ignorant, the wrong words could do just that if she talks to her boss about it. The fact of the matter is that her post was nothing but a rant and gives off the air that she doesn't want to learn and help her coworker, but instead alleviate her own personal suffering.
Do either of you have any idea what it's like being a Carer for someone with a mental illness? Tucker, you may have the experience of having the illness, but do you know what it's like being the Carer, which Broomstick sounds like she, de-facto, is? Yes? No? If no, then shut the hell up about how you feel she should feel.
Dealing with them can be a never-ending frustration, and just when you think you've fixed the problem for now and you're going to have some clear air to relax for a while, something else (or the same damn thing) comes up, and you can't talk to them about it because they're in the wrong head-space. You have to keep smiling, your voice reasonable, your attitude calm and relaxed at all time, no matter how fucking stupid they're being because actually saying what you really want to say just makes things worse; and this doesn't mean abusing them, it means just talking to them straight and honest about what they're doing and how it makes you feel.
Yes, we know it's not actually their fault. That's why we don't kill them, no matter how much we may want to some times. And yes, that was a joke. It's called a coping mechanism. Deal with it. Have you ever thought people may vent while away from the person concerned, to avoid venting while with them?

Why shouldn't she want to alleviate her own suffering? She didn't "do anything" to deserve that shit, she's not getting paid extra for it. She's trying to help a co-worker out of fellow humanity, and keep her own head together doing it. If all she wanted was for her own problem to go away, she could just get the woman fired, instead of asking for advice on how to deal (Vodka, Broomie, lots and lots of it. That's another joke).

The complaint about her saying she "straightened her out" seems completely spurious. The woman put the ladder in a bad place, apparently because she didn't want to use it therefore nobody wanted to use it; Broomstick straightened her out on that point. Any further "reading between the lines" is completely unsupported on what Broomstick wrote.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Post of the year!

303, start with fundamentals. Be open from the outset and build relationships with coworkers, mentors and supervisors to involve them in your management strategies; this helps you and them deal with anything that comes up without turning to some embittered yelling match. Coping mechanisms like writing notes or trying to stay focused are only as helpful as the environment is supportive; pushy or hostile environments will only make the distractions and anxieties worse. It's important to get as involved in whatever you're doing or delivering as possible, because nothing builds positive relationships like success and people seeing your involvement driving positive outcomes. The absolute worst than can happen is being in a high pressure workplace with no support and hostile coworkers who don't value your contribution.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Others have said as much, but patience and empathy are always order of the day when dealing with ADHD, autism, dyslexia and other neurological disorders.

There is a truly epic, and genuinely entertaining, PBS special called 'ADD & loving it' by ADHD comedians Patrick McKenna and Rick Green. It mixes serious conversations with doctors and researchers, with illustrative skits and many, many tips. Plus it's funny. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who has ADD/ADHD or has to deal with it on a regular basis.

I don't see any immediately obvious ways to watch it free online, though you can order from amazon. There is a 'TotallyADD' on youtube with a playlist called 'ADD and loving it' with a number of outtakes, one or two short segments, and numerous coping tip videos. Also, Rick Green has 'Rick Rants' on youtube that might be worth a glance.

I also have ADHD, but I do not think most of my coping strategies would work well with an elderly medicated woman. One thing I will suggest (I don't know if your boss will allow it) is to abuse wall space to put up charts. Having a large schedule in glancing range can help a lot, or even a macroscale, fully filled job ticket as a visible reminder of what they should look like. It's also easy to phrase such things so as to not single out the ADD it's really for.

Regarding the scheduling thing. I routinely go to work an hour early to plan, organize, or just psych myself up for the day, and stay behind to clean up a bit. I'm not really working, and I don't get paid for the time, nor do I expect to. Is there some reason 'Betty' doing the same draws your bosses ire?

I also carry a notepad with me at all times when working, in case something happens and it's important to know details later, to note any changes in my schedule and in case I need scrap paper.

To be ADD/ADHD is sort of like being constantly bored and full of nervous energy, wanting to see and do new things but being constrained by school, work, or other obligations. But then sometimes you find a good book or something and you completely forget about the world until urgent biological need takes over. You have a very sharp memory for many things, but frequently forget the little stuff. Plus you sometimes do stupid, impulsive things.

At least that's how it is for me.

Exercise and meditation are supposedly really good for ADD/ADHD, but can be hit-or-miss in practice. The borderline illiteracy is another wrinkle. My advice is to try and steer her towards challenging (and thus, interesting) tasks where the deficiencies in her education won't matter as much.

I hope this was at least somewhat helpful.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Ahriman238 wrote:Regarding the scheduling thing. I routinely go to work an hour early to plan, organize, or just psych myself up for the day, and stay behind to clean up a bit. I'm not really working, and I don't get paid for the time, nor do I expect to. Is there some reason 'Betty' doing the same draws your bosses ire?
Legal issues: hourly workers have to be paid for all time worked, and if that goes into overtime it means time and a half. They also want to know when someone is or isn't in the store.

It's not so much they object to the early arrival, it's that they don't want her working off the books because that could get them in serious trouble. If she's there they want to know about it.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Just wanted to stop by and thank those who actually had suggestions in this thread. The boss called in sick yesterday and "Betty" went into a bit of a meltdown. I was able to use some of your suggestions and insight to help keep her on track and focused without being an overcontrolling bitchqueen. Less stress for everyone, hooray!

Not perfect, of course, life is never perfect. But better. Thanks.

Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

You did good. In fact, you deserve credit for not picking the easier solution and just do what almost everyone else would have done, i.e. washed your hands of her. Trying to understand an invisible handicap is hard, but you did it and you made it work.

That's the sort of thing that gives me hope that I could have a career of my own, someday.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

If I had had more energy last night, or more time this morning, I might have written up the whole day to analyze what I did right and what I could have done better but my work week is always pretty intense between the long hours and trying to help build up the company.

Don't know if anyone would be interested in helping me with that or not.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

wall charts are a god send to me - I used to carry a notebook at all times on site, but when I was working at a desk I actually covered the entire wall around me with photos, sequences, my TTD list (Things To Do), maps, email contacts ect.

Patience from other people really really helps - it can mean them holding their breath for 2min while I get my thoughts in order, but that generally results in me then working happily focused for the next hour or so. An angry response means I'm left really confused and don't get much done for 15min before needing to go and ask again because I'm not sure. On the other hand, getting stuff wrong and being told why it's wrong is blinking useful.

Not ADHD, but quite badly dyslexic and a side order of the manic depressives to boot.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Don't think my co-worker is dyslexic, I think she's the product of a time when the "solution" to a kid with AHDH was kicking them out of class. She can read much better than she can write. I think her writing problems are due to being excluded from the classroom because she couldn't focus or sit still rather than being helped to deal with her problems.

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

When things work out smouth between me and my co-workers I'll relay their method (of dealing with me).

of course my ADHD is just part of a nice Aspergers/Autism cocktail. and I keep trying to save the employment of my fellow ADHD sufferers (sp), often failing, because even though we are medicated psychatric disability victims, employers often see us as too much of a hassle.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Yosemite Bear

oh and I just noticed this SHINY thread. so of course I had to enter.

some of the other bits, back when I was a child they Isolated us, and fed us drugs, lots of drugs. So I'm embarrassed about my handwriting, and when I get flustered trapped panicing I can't write worth shit. hence why I prefer a computer. I have excellent ability to read, it's just that slowing down enough for the flow to translate to the hands correctly just doesn't work, sometimes I'll even write whole paragraphs with one of my hands being one key off, or i'll transpose keys typing with my brain fragmenting on me, while I just try to focus just to do this...

sorry to everyone else, it hurts, I fight it, Sometimes I don't know why I bother since most of you dislike me so much.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

feeling a bit low bear?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
The Yosemite Bear

getting harrassed for not being a team player at work, because I have Jury Duty comming, and The folks who refuse to work with me because of my disability or complaining to the bosses about me not backing them up 24/7 (doing all of their work too.)
I just found out a day before that my teenhood Risk, D&D, hacker's club, chess restaurant* is being demolished in about a little less than a month.
I work surrounded by let them die banana republicans, I nearly died last year, and they don't seem to realize that they are talking about me when they go on about evul socialist/nazi obamacare.... (or maybe they do)

*The noise level was tolerable, and they didn't mind if we stayed there most of the night, so it was a nerd/ADD/Autistic haven, it even had food that I could eat with all my brain's silly issues...