Peter Jackson- We're going to need a third movie

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Peter Jackson- We're going to need a third movie

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Link
It is only at the end of a shoot that you finally get the chance to sit down and have a look at the film you have made. Recently Fran, Phil and I did just this when we watched for the first time an early cut of the first movie - and a large chunk of the second. We were really pleased with the way the story was coming together, in particular, the strength of the characters and the cast who have brought them to life. All of which gave rise to a simple question: do we take this chance to tell more of the tale? And the answer from our perspective as the filmmakers, and as fans, was an unreserved ‘yes.'

We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance. The richness of the story of The Hobbit, as well as some of the related material in the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, allows us to tell the full story of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and the part he played in the sometimes dangerous, but at all times exciting, history of Middle-earth.

So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast and crew of “The Hobbit” films, I’d like to announce that two films will become three.

It has been an unexpected journey indeed, and in the words of Professor Tolkien himself, "a tale that grew in the telling."

Cheers,
Peter J
So it looks like he'll be pulling in a lot from the appendicies and the History of Middle Earth to make a much more 'epic' story that trails neatly into the LOTR trillogy. Awesome.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Re: Peter Jackson- We're going to need a third movie

Post by Eframepilot »

They better not all exceed 3 hours in length.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:So it looks like he'll be pulling in a lot from the appendicies and the History of Middle Earth to make a much more 'epic' story that trails neatly into the LOTR trillogy. Awesome.
Just so long as he sticks to what's in the books rather than pulling gibberish out of his arse like he did last time...
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

holy hell, you have to be JOKING
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

This is not awesome. It's drawing out the story for a cash grab.
Eframepilot wrote:They better not all exceed 3 hours in length.
They will. He'll likely refresh us all on middle earth when that is completely unneeded.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Its a cash grab and possibly an attempt to overshadow Star Wars etc.

While I kinda liked the effort put into LOTR. I cannot see this going well and a 6 film trilogy with an average run tim of 3hrs is just groan inducing.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Captain Seafort wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:So it looks like he'll be pulling in a lot from the appendicies and the History of Middle Earth to make a much more 'epic' story that trails neatly into the LOTR trillogy. Awesome.
Just so long as he sticks to what's in the books rather than pulling gibberish out of his arse like he did last time...
It could have been worse. We almost got "Action Hero Arwen". Replaced with flogging "Arwen should be immortal but she's going to die etc..." so Liv Tyler would still have a reason for spending so much time on those movies. Beyond that the only stuff that annoys me is cowabunga Legolas and the cheesy humor between him and Gimili that creeps into the second two movies.

Anyway, all I want out of any Hobbit movie is lots and lots of really cool Smaug action. The multi army battle might also be cool but my butt will be in the seat to see some dragon action. Previously Peter Jackson got my hopes up when commenting that all the good cinematic dragons have come from Maleficent in Disney's Sleeping Beauty and/or Vermithrax Perjorative in Dragonslayer. You can certainly see his point to some degree. The dragons in Reign of Fire had elements of Vermithrax, and the Hungarian Horntail in the Harry Potter movies continued from that base. So far the movie looks a bit goofy compared to the LOTR movies so I'm hoping that they pull out all the stops on Smaug.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
JLTucker
BANNED

"Anyway, all I want out of any Hobbit movie is lots and lots

Post by JLTucker »

PREDATOR490 wrote:While I kinda liked the effort put into LOTR. I cannot see this going well and a 6 film trilogy with an average run tim of 3hrs is just groan inducing.
I don't mind the length of Jackson's movies because he always delivers. Even the underrated Lovely Bones is an amazing piece of filmmaking. I am sure these will be fine in their own way, but splitting a 300 page book into a possible 9 hour film is just... stupid and seems like another way to get hundreds of millions. And is Middle Earth really all that interesting to take from the appendices? He made the Arwen and Aragorn work, but he added a lot in there, from what I recall.
Tsyroc wrote:Replaced with flogging "Arwen should be immortal but she's going to die etc..." so Liv Tyler would still have a reason for spending so much time on those movies.
See, I consider that a highlight in the LotR trilogy, but only the in extended editions. It mirrors the Beren and Luthien story in Fellowship. That should have stayed in the theatrical verison.
aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Post by aieeegrunt »

Jesus Christ you people, fucking nerds will bitch about anything.

"These two cakes we made are pretty awesome, so we decided to make you a third"

"FUCK YOU JACKSON HOW DARE YOU MAKE MORE CAKE"

Guy takes a book that was always thought to be impossible to film, and knocks it out of the fucking park. Yes there were some parts that bugged me, like the Deus ex Machina Ghost Army, but that's like bitching about the frosting on the cake being yellow instead of gold.

He also knew what parts needed to be left out, like Tom Bombadil and the scouring of the Shire.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

I am all for this. And I want ultra-extended versions!

Really though, how much good fantasy is put into movie form? There isn't likely to be any more adaptations of Tolkien's work, so enjoy it. I fully expect that the moviemakers will do this right.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

After tolkien there's not a lot of 'epic fantasy' left that can actually be translated into movies. Maybe Wheel-of-Time someday, but for now there's nothing else to do.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:After tolkien there's not a lot of 'epic fantasy' left that can actually be translated into movies. Maybe Wheel-of-Time someday, but for now there's nothing else to do.
I like the first three Shanahara books but The Sword of Shanahra is so much like the LOTR that I can't see it happening. Plus the power of the sword and the main villain's weakness was a little bit of let down in book form I don't know how it would play in a movie.

What is nice about the series is that there is a significant amount of time between each book so things are familiar from book to book but still they've also changed quite a bit.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I'm going to expect a lot of liberties taken and stuff invented; which I'm completely fine with as long as it leads to improved movie and or streamlining stuff that could never be fully or decently included in its original form, or adds content that while not original, isn't in conflict either. Its not like we get every single minute spelled out in the books. I have no sacred love of the canon, and given how much Tolkin was always revising his work I have to wonder how much LOTR and the Hobbit might have changed had he not been constrained by having already published them, and having so much other endless work to do. The problem is it changes may not be for the better, LOTR movies got worse slowly from pointless changes and three Hobbit movies are likely to continue the trend more then reset and begin it again. But I don't think it will be butchered either.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Tsyroc wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:After tolkien there's not a lot of 'epic fantasy' left that can actually be translated into movies. Maybe Wheel-of-Time someday, but for now there's nothing else to do.
I like the first three Shanahara books but The Sword of Shanahra is so much like the LOTR that I can't see it happening. Plus the power of the sword and the main villain's weakness was a little bit of let down in book form I don't know how it would play in a movie.

What is nice about the series is that there is a significant amount of time between each book so things are familiar from book to book but still they've also changed quite a bit.
The Wishsong of Shanarra would be a truly epic movie in scale, and I'd love to see it.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I figure it'll probably be good product, but it's kind of... weird to think about that ratio. 7+ hours of movie from 300 pages of book- usually it's the other way around, with them making one movie out of a much larger book.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

My only hope and I do mean my only hope for the movie now is that this is how it's going to go

Movie 1, Bag End to escape from Murkwood in the barrels
Movie 2, Lake town to Smaug, more time... maybe fully show the Dragons attacks? End on the gathering forces for the Battle of Five Armies
Moive 3, Kick off with the super big battle after a quiet evening of reflection and then... totally made up shit. Bilbo meets the Deadpool, he goes off to fight Megatron... something from Peter Jacksons imagination to justfy the other hour and forty minutes since the battle and quiet reflection are only twenty minutes worth of content at most.

The only way Movie 3 is either 70% to 100% original content otherwise while I could see two movies to spend more time fleshing out the dwarves, Hobbit and Gandalf I just can't see a third movie. The only content I can guess is the last ten minutes we get a full lead into the fellowship like the waking up to full alertness of Sauron.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Dragonriders of Pern? </wishfulthinkin> :angelic:
Mr Bean wrote:My only hope and I do mean my only hope for the movie now is that this is how it's going to go

Movie 1, Bag End to escape from Murkwood in the barrels
Movie 2, Lake town to Smaug, more time... maybe fully show the Dragons attacks? End on the gathering forces for the Battle of Five Armies
Moive 3, Kick off with the super big battle after a quiet evening of reflection and then... totally made up shit. Bilbo meets the Deadpool, he goes off to fight Megatron... something from Peter Jacksons imagination to justfy the other hour and forty minutes since the battle and quiet reflection are only twenty minutes worth of content at most.
Um, Jackson already said what would be in second movie - War of White Council against Necromancer, something that got like 3 lines in the book. Seeing the Necromancer part is very important for Thorin's backstory and LotR trilogy, it's pretty obvious it's going to get a lot of screentime. Third movie, IMHO, will be all Smaug + final battle and Bilbo's return.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I thought the article said that he was watching a huge cut of the second movie already made. Does the choice to add a third movie mean that they're going to retroactively go back, change a whole ton of stuff to the second movie, and then kick Smaug and the end of the Hobbit into the third movie? That sounds like it could cause some serious pacing issues for Bilbo's part of the story.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Irbis wrote: Seeing the Necromancer part is very important for Thorin's backstory and LotR trilogy.
How is it important at all? Tolkien himself breezed by it with a couple of throwaway lines. Thorin's backstory is fine without it.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

aieeegrunt wrote:Jesus Christ you people, fucking nerds will bitch about anything.

"These two cakes we made are pretty awesome, so we decided to make you a third"

"FUCK YOU JACKSON HOW DARE YOU MAKE MORE CAKE"
Why are you even here? Also, is this thread really so "tl;dr" for you? Because nobody said anything like you are claiming.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Block wrote:
Irbis wrote: Seeing the Necromancer part is very important for Thorin's backstory and LotR trilogy.
How is it important at all? Tolkien himself breezed by it with a couple of throwaway lines. Thorin's backstory is fine without it.
The Necromancer is a pretty throw-away part in The Hobbit, done primarily as an excuse to keep from having a massively powerful wizard around to solve all the problems. But when Tolkien expanded the story with Lord of the Rings (and the Necromancer became Sauron), it became much more important. Thorin only has the map of the Lonely Mountain because his father gave it to Gandalf, who only came across Thrain while trying to discover the Necromancer's identity. Thrain giving Gandalf the map got Gandalf involved in the dwarves' quest, and Gandalf getting involved is what got Bilbo involved.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Civil War Man wrote:The Necromancer is a pretty throw-away part in The Hobbit, done primarily as an excuse to keep from having a massively powerful wizard around to solve all the problems. But when Tolkien expanded the story with Lord of the Rings (and the Necromancer became Sauron), it became much more important. Thorin only has the map of the Lonely Mountain because his father gave it to Gandalf, who only came across Thrain while trying to discover the Necromancer's identity. Thrain giving Gandalf the map got Gandalf involved in the dwarves' quest, and Gandalf getting involved is what got Bilbo involved.
Moreover, Thorin only launched his quest because Gandalf a) gave him a kick up the backside to get him going and b) promised Bilbo's assistance as a master burglar, as part of the White Council's offensive against the Necromancer. It was the only way to get the job done - the two were mutually supporting, so they had to be tackled simultaneously in order to remove them as threats for the (rapidly approaching) War of the Ring.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Block wrote:How is it important at all? Tolkien himself breezed by it with a couple of throwaway lines. Thorin's backstory is fine without it.
You know, SW prequels and rise of the Sith were also covered by a few lines in the opening scroll. As for the other point, it's kinda like saying Luke's backstory is fine if we cut that Darth Vader guy out of it :angelic:
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Civil War Man wrote:The Necromancer is a pretty throw-away part in The Hobbit, done primarily as an excuse to keep from having a massively powerful wizard around to solve all the problems. But when Tolkien expanded the story with Lord of the Rings (and the Necromancer became Sauron), it became much more important. Thorin only has the map of the Lonely Mountain because his father gave it to Gandalf, who only came across Thrain while trying to discover the Necromancer's identity. Thrain giving Gandalf the map got Gandalf involved in the dwarves' quest, and Gandalf getting involved is what got Bilbo involved.
Moreover, Thorin only launched his quest because Gandalf a) gave him a kick up the backside to get him going and b) promised Bilbo's assistance as a master burglar, as part of the White Council's offensive against the Necromancer. It was the only way to get the job done - the two were mutually supporting, so they had to be tackled simultaneously in order to remove them as threats for the (rapidly approaching) War of the Ring.
Again, how is that actually important to the story of the Hobbit? I know all of the backstory, I've read all of the books, but frankly the Hobbit does just fine on its own without all that extra stuff. In fact it's probably better without the extra, because it's a well paced as is, the animated version was pretty much perfect as far as the storyline to follow without being slow.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Irbis wrote:
Block wrote:How is it important at all? Tolkien himself breezed by it with a couple of throwaway lines. Thorin's backstory is fine without it.
You know, SW prequels and rise of the Sith were also covered by a few lines in the opening scroll. As for the other point, it's kinda like saying Luke's backstory is fine if we cut that Darth Vader guy out of it :angelic:
No, no it's not. Thorin's backstory works just fine as it's presented in the Hobbit, his family was forced out by Smaug, he goes to reclaim his birthright. Simple, makes sense, and a powerful motivation of revenge, greed and family honor. Removing Vader is like removing Smaug, not the Necromancer.