Civ 2: 3991 AD and counting

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Civ 2: 3991 AD and counting

Post by Simon_Jester »

PeZook wrote:With tech progression, preserving experienced units usually isn't economical ; I only upgrade my city raiders, because infantry with 3x city attack bonus = murder, and you can't get those promotions for new infantry.
It depends how experienced the unit is, how much gold you have or can obtain quickly, and whether you have anything that affects unit upgrade costs.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Gold was never really that hugely useful in all the other Civ games in the first place (with the possible exception of Alpha Centauri). For the most part you just used it to pay for maintenance, upgrade your units (unless you had Leo's Workshop in Civ 2, in which case you don't even do that), bribing enemy units, or rush-buy stuff. Civ 4 just takes out bribes and rush-buys (for most of the game anyway).

Admittedly, rush-buy can be powerful. But Civ 2 simply isn't geared to give you an economy that is massively gold-centric enough to truly allow a gold-based economy to function (by buying rather than building infrastructure) and winning wars (by bribing the enemy army).

With Alpha Centauri though... the sky's the limit. This is the kind of game whose economy can get so broken that I once beat a CPU opponent to a Secret Project (wonder of the world) five consecutive times over five consecutive turns... when the CPU was one turn away from finishing the project while I was starting from scratch in each of those five turns :lol:
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Zinegata wrote:With Alpha Centauri though... the sky's the limit. This is the kind of game whose economy can get so broken that I once beat a CPU opponent to a Secret Project (wonder of the world) five consecutive times over five consecutive turns... when the CPU was one turn away from finishing the project while I was starting from scratch in each of those five turns :lol:
Gold/Credits are very useful in Alpha Centauri. It was actually a bit of an adjustment when I first played Civ III and found out that gold can't buy you everything, like it can in SMAC.

And the proto-typing was awesome. Where would I be on islands maps without my flying colony pods?
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

or stealth ships? or buggy artillery? the prorotyping rules were awesome, as was the terraforming.

shit, I'm going to have to start this game up again...
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee