MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

So, which large promotion is dead by Dec 31?

Strikeforce
33%
Bellator
5%
Dream
19%
Sengoku
5%
K-1
No votes
UFC (joke option)
38%

Total votes: 21

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Re: MMA Thread 2011 edition: Death of a promotion

Post by weemadando »

It pretty much goes like this:
DOCTOR: It was a series of anti-inflammatory shots which I totally just fucking FILLED with testosterone without his knowledge because I'm a terrible doctor and informed consent is alien to me.

OVEREEM: What he said, plus its didn't run from a test multiple times now and I voluntarily stepped down from the card after it was clear I was rumbled. But fucking check out this body, why would you punish me?

COMMISSION: OK, consider yourself punished by being forced to fight against heavyweight title fight on NYE.

It was a fucking joke.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

So yeah, Frank Mir vs JDS? This should be fun, JDS makes bad things happen to people who beat Big Nog.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I really expect JDS to just murderise him on the feet.

If somehow Mir gets it to the mat, I want JDS to show off the fact that he's got a ground game.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

weemadando wrote:Speaking of Sonnen, he skates on his continued racism and the UFC gets fully racist with their excuses for not running the Brazil card. What a fucking joke. Own up to the fact you didn't do your homework and double-booked your card against a goddamn UN conference.
Didn't Anderson Silva actually blame a local promoting partner for underestimating the logistical scale involved in running a UFC stadium card? I recall Dana White admitting that the UN conference was a big issue.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

They've admitted it, but only in the most hardcore site interviews etc.

The story that the general public is getting is: "UNSAFE FOR CHAEL SONNEN! WE'RE GOING TO VEGAS!"
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

So, uh, a Nick Diaz thing happened... then a MiddleEasy thing happened. (That URL not matching the article title is intentional on my part to highlight the debacle.) The Bloody Elbow take on the fallout, complete with the guy behind the mess claiming that he won't cover Nick Diaz anymore and MiddleEasy pulling out of BJJ coverage.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Yeah.I'm a long term MiddleEasy-ite and got really pissed at their coverage and contributed to the comments beef.

And the while twitter thing on the night. But hey Diaz gonna Diaz.

Now can we all ignore him forever?
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... r#p3547116

Well that wasn't supposed to happen, we're now one step closer to the end of Strikeforce.
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Finally had my first judging experience. Only two fights went to decision, but they were sons of bitches.

29-29 majority draw in one and a 30-27 (10-9, 10-10, 10-8) in the main event which was a really fun WMMA bout with heaps of ground work and submissions.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Hey now, it's nice to see you actually scoring rounds a draw or a 10-8; how did you feel regarding the 10-9 round? Also, in the case of the 29-29, were any of the rounds clear?

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The 29-29 was a clear first round to one guy, the second round where the same guy had some moments good striking, but hte other had extensive control (clinch against cage) but wasn't doing a great deal. Final round the guy started using the cage control to his advantage. The other judges had it 29-29 and 30-29, so it was clearly a close one.

The second one that went to cards had the 10-9 because they had an armbar on for most of hte round, but the opponent kept slamming them (about 9 times) to try and escape. It was a round they won, but didn't really dominate (as they didn't finish the sub). The 10-10 middle was because both parties seemed gassed early on then there was some back and forth scrambling and submission attempts each way. The 10-8 was because one competitor had back control w/ body triangle for about 2/3s of the round. Not a lot of damage from strikes or threatening sub attempts, but there's really no other way you can score that.

It was a fun card though - lots of RNCs where guys forgot (or didn't know) how to act on the floor, but then also some great stuff like an inverted triangle finish during a scramble. No KOs, but a few solid bits of GnP. Fights are all going to be on YouTube so I'll link to them when they become available.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Hey knowledgeable fight dudes, whatever happened to Fedor?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Got old, has bad management, lost a lot, been fighting scrubs in bush leagues.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

To Darth Fanboy: I wouldn't say "a lot," but three losses in a row -- the first a supposed fluke when he tapped to Werdum (derailed the anticipated Fedor vs. Alistair Overeem clash), then "Bigfoot" Silva smashing his eye swollen to eliminate him from the heavyweight GP opening round, then finally getting KO'd by a recently-middleweight Dan Henderson -- would have probably gotten him cut from the UFC, who his management had already burned his bridges with.

All he's done since is take a decision over Jeff Monson in November (upon which Vladimir Putin got booed), then probably end Satoshi Ishii's* career with a KO at the New Year's Eve card -- by which time the heavyweight scene had already seemed to have passed him by, and I haven't heard anything this year about him fighting again. (Supposedly he'd already been contemplating retirement even before the Werdum fight due to age and injuries.)

* Coincidentally, if this was Fedor's last fight... Ishii's own first fight was a UD loss to the retiring Hidehiko Yoshida, so Ishii's career would have begun and ended with two opponents' "final fights".

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I don't know if this belongs in Gaming or here, but no one in gaming seems to give a shit about the UFC game (for good reason), but I found this while digging up more info about SWTOR. From Here:
EA announced that it is buying out the licensing rights of Ultimate Fighting Championship (:UFC) from Zuffa LLC. THQ Inc. (THQI) used to hold the rights associated with the brand name. The new multi-year, multi-product partnership will provide EA the exclusive rights to develop UFC videogames along the lines of FIFA and NHL. We believe that the popularity of the UFC videogames among hardcore gamers will drive EA’s customer base and top-line growth going forward.
Now, it's been a while, so I'm going through the timeline and someone correct me if I'm wrong.

White goes to EA about licensing a UFC game.
EA laughs at him saying the game won't sell.
Zuffa goes to THQ and makes a mildly successful UFC game.
EA whores out to Strikforce and many of their fighters (and many "free-agents") and makes a pretty decent game.
Zuffa laughs and just buys strikeforce out.
EA eats crow and makes the next game?
White drops 50 f-bombs while accepting because "fuck it! Money!"?

It sure will be nice to see yearly stat updates packaged in $60 DVDs, because it's what's keeping the Madden series fresh, right? RIGHT?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Really? That's your take on it?

Seriously, EA MMA kicked the shit out of the UFC games. So much better designed. There's a reason they shamelessly stole so much from it in Undisputed 3.

EA isn't eating crow, Dana is eating crow. He's the one who swore he'd never work with EA and was then forced to go on stage at EA and pretend that he was so happy.

But hey. Dana's always been a liar and the hypocrite.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

weemadando wrote:Seriously, EA MMA kicked the shit out of the UFC games. So much better designed. There's a reason they shamelessly stole so much from it in Undisputed 3.

EA isn't eating crow, Dana is eating crow. He's the one who swore he'd never work with EA and was then forced to go on stage at EA and pretend that he was so happy.
I haven't kept up much with either game since Undisputed 1 was a pretty big disappointment. I didn't know about White's "never work with EA" comment. All I remember was EA basically telling Zuffa an MMA game wouldn't sell, then EA MMA being announced shortly after the release of Disputed then White going on an F-bomb spree.
But hey. Dana's always been a liar and the hypocrite.
Which is why it surprised me him and EA didn't get together sooner.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Jon Jones and CHAEL SONNEN are the next Ultimate Fighter coaches.
Man, this is going to be epic!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Well, I suppose you can try and save your show by putting on two guys who are questionable draws.

I mean, Lesnar couldn't bump the ratings when it was on Spike and he was a proving commodity for them.

Sonnen appeals to racist fuckholes who are already fans. And if they haven't been watching this season then they probably aren't going to tune in next time.

And god, please, if you are really the god that Jon Jones and BHendo and all the others love, you will let Chael slip with some amazingly racist "joke" and have Jones just fucking end him then and there in the gym. It is the best thing that could possibly happen for everyone involved.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Lesnar may be a PPV draw but let's face it, he sucks on TV and watching him on TUF is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Chael Sonnen on the other hand is the master of running his mouth and creating hype, no one can talk shit like Chael Sonnen and people will tune in just to see what kind of outrageous shit comes out of his mouth every week.

Personally I want to see Sonnen and Bisping as the coaches just to see how long it takes for Bisping to have a stroke on TV, but if I can't have that, Sonnen & Jones ain't bad either.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I think it's dumb on another level, it's further cementing the UFC as a WWE style matchmaker. They're locking Jones up now until at LEAST April next year in order to put him in a title fight with a guy who is STILL YET TO HAVE THEIR NEXT FIGHT.

It's fucking insanity and I don't think I've ever wanted Forrest Griffin to win a fight more than now.

Oh yes. And if he beats Forrest, then apparently that solitary win against a dude who NO ONE should consider anywhere near a top 10 at the moment is enough to lock up a title shot.

Stop calling it a sport Dana, because it fucking isn't.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The UFC has always had WWE style matchmaking, seriously, just look at Bisping's handpicked opponents. Or Rashad Evans. Or how Dana thought he would give Liddell another title shot by matching him up against Shogun after the latter put in a pitiful performance against Coleman. Or Dan freakin' Hardy somehow getting a title shot without beating a single top 5 or even top 10 fighter. It's always been all about the money for Dana.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

It's always had those matches, but it's never been more egregious than recently with Vitor and Chael repeatedly getting completely unearned opportunities. And when someone dares to call them out on it (like Jones did in turning down a fight with Chael on short notice) they're unashamed slagged and burned publicly by Dana.

The terrible managerial style, combined with their impressive decisions to run so many fucking cards that no one cares anymore and no one can keep up with what B and C grade scrubs they've brought in to fill out the next FX or Fuel or PPV undercard.

They need to turn back the clock - back to a one event per month model AT THE MOST. And to actually build fighters and pump them up, not slag out your champions publicly and often on the fucking broadcast after their victory like Dana has now done to champions in Flyweight, Welterweight, Middleweight, Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

In the UFC's defense, a shitload of fighters have been sidelined in 2012 with injury. That said, even with a healthy roster, this whole twice a month event thing is getting out of hand. I understand their roster is huge and more fighters need a chance to get paid, but they still need something to draw a crowd and that doesn't seem to be happening.

Really, I just need to get back watching Bellator fights. UFC is kind of a shit-fest right now.

TUF is.... well... TUF. I think I should just pop in my Season 3 DVD anytime a new season starts.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

I cannot even muster a care for Chael Sonnen at this point after what Anderson Silva did to him and to Stephen Bonnar.