Holiday Project

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Re: Holiday Project

Post by Starglider »

Chardok wrote:why not start a kickstarter? or have you already tried that?
To fund what exactly? Kickstarter is supposed to be to raise capital for projects that need front-loaded funding to be viable. I know in the current euphoria some devs are treating it as a revenue model but that seems wrong to me.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Nah - you should be able to use it to finalize stuff. Why does it seem wrong? You need as much exposure as possible. Hell, you could spend 200.00 and get onto the jumbotron at maximumfun.org and get a mention on one or more of their popular podcasts. MBMBAM did one for a dude to get a copper die to make Stack soap and just by being mentioned dude got funded and MORE. Just saying - Don't sell yourself short. If you believe in it, pimp it out like a drug-addled whore. Next thing you know you're working at Bethesda and I have an inside line on making sure the next Elder Scrolls game isn't a broken pile of poop.

Yeah, so I have a pipe-dreamy ulterior motive.

Point is: DO IT. 8)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/162 ... r-broken-p

www.maximumfun.org
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I have published the final video in the Windhaven development diary series, with battle zeppelins, tower defences, enemy vultures etc. Production values are a bit higher than the previous ones, as core development is now complete and I will be starting to promote the game. As such if you're interested in this project please check it out and consider liking / sharing as appropriate.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

If you're this late into the dev cycle with it and are close to a release build (as it appears you are), then Kickstarter wouldn't be the right choice.

I'd be looking at the various Indie Bundles (you aren't high profile enough for Humble probably, but Royale or Gala or even Fortress would be viable) and getting exposure through there.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

The game is getting fan-art before it is even released!

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

There are seven different failure icons depending on exactly how you screwed up, plus that classic GTA style 'pull camera up from player's body while slowly panning', complete with 20 seconds of mournful strings.

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

The sailing ships are the only part of the game that uses conventional models instead of procedural generation - I haven't written the code that reefs the sails yet so this one is presumably about to crash;

Sail texture is still a placeholder. This is a civillian ship, I will use a different mesh for the naval battles later. The problem with conventional meshes is pretty obvious here; this is a low-poly model suitable for use on the Xbox 360, which looks pretty bad running on a decent PC. The procedural models are tesselated at load time so at least they look much smoother (although if I had an actual 3D modeller on the project I could use several different LOD meshes, which is what games with real funding do).
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Here is the opening cutscene with the new script, music, art (although still a few frames to come) and voice acting.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Final version of chapter select menu;

Due to the simultaneous arrival of a major commercial delivery deadline, an important sales pitch requiring lots of demo & analysis prep, and the DreamBuildPlay 2012 submission deadline for Windhaven, I will not be posting to SDN for a while other than to update this thread.
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Sounds good - wish you all the best.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Art continues to trickle in. Here are concepts for the fortress where the eyrie council (avian society ruling body) is located, plus some warship ideas;

I will forward any relevant comments to the artist working on this section.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I like the idea of number 8. The nest-like structure underlines the exclusiveness of the club. Be a bird, or you won't get in here...
Merge it with the looks of #4 - I like how cluttered this town is - #8 looks too much like a planned city, #4 looks like it simply grew into a mountain over time, slowly encroaching on all spaces available.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Thanks, I've forwarded that on, final versions of this (before and after invasion) should arrive next month.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

New logo for the ships & airships, replacing my placeholder;

Story missions 1 and 2 are now complete, only 14 to go...
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Story mission 3 is complete. The first two are mostly player training, so this is the first 'dramatic' mission;

Gameplay video (probably the last one I can post without spoilers). Skip to the last minute for the airships blowing up (with custom mission failure screen).
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Concept for the end credits song : http://www.bitphase.com/starglider/wind ... oncept.mp3. Synth, will be replaced with actual vocals & acoustic guitar for the final version.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I submitted Windhaven to DreamBuildPlay 2012, although since the competition is effectively DreamBuildPlatformer (all winners have been 2D platformers, 3D games very rarely make it into the finalists, no flight sim has ever made it to even the semi-finals) this was mostly to motivate me to work on the Xbox-specific bugs.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Development has been slow due to commercial commitments, but here's some more artwork from the game;

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Windhaven is now on Steam Greenlight. If you'd like to see the game released on PC, please give it a positive rating.

Also the game was chosen as a DreamBuildPlay 2012 finalist. It didn't win of course but I was frankly amazed to make it to the finals, give that it is (a) a 3D game (b) a flight sim (c) not a platformer and (d) has difficult to learn controls with a lenghtly tutorial. The prize for finalists is a Windows smartphone (Nokia I suspect), which is handy as my old phone recently died.
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

congrats on that
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Will be voting for Windhaven on Greenlight. Hope everyone here who uses Steaam does the same because it really is a highly original and good by one of our own !
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Sarevok wrote:Will be voting for Windhaven on Greenlight. Hope everyone here who uses Steaam does the same because it really is a highly original and good by one of our own !
Thanks, Greenlight is 1000 games trying to squeeze through a tiny 10-games-a-month straw though, alas not too optimistic at this point.

On the plus size the prize from the Dream Build Play competition turned up today : a Nokia Lumia 900. Don't think I would've bought a Windows phone, but it's free and I don't have a smartphone right now so I'll give it a try.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Haven't had time to work on this for a while, but I finally got around to fixing the two blocking issues that were preventing a public beta. Specifically, non-Microsoft controller support and MediaPlayer event unreliability.

An early beta is now available for download. It should work on any reasonably modern graphics card / version of Windows. It has most features but only 3 of the story missions and lots of bugs remaining. This version still requires a twin-stick gamepad; either the Microsoft one, Sony PS3 pad (with appropriate drivers), most third-party gamepads of similar configuration should work although you might have to fiddle with the config file a bit.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Nearly two years since I submitted it, Windhaven has finally been approved on Steam Greenlight. It looks like it has been steadily accumulating votes over all that time, but more importantly the giant queue of popular games ahead of it slowly drained away. It was pretty depressing at the time not to be anywhere near approval after significant efforts to promote it; a very common attitude as the number of initial submissions was vastly higher than the release slots.

The game was mostly complete and I intend to resume development, but I need to complete both my car projects first.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Congrats! Definitely looking forward to it. Any chance there's a working mirror for the beta?
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow