Avengers (Spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Re: Avengers (Spoilers)

Post by Stofsk »

Lol, I can't read. Sorry. :)
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

I think I know the perfect way to bring Agent Coulson back that everyone will agree is awesome :P

When Thor goes back to Asgard, he visits the halls of Valhala and finds Coulson chowing down in there while being fawned over by hot babes (while he is being very nonchalant about it). Turns out getting stabbed by Loki while trying to save Thor and then shooting him with a gun made out of the Destroyer while bleeding out is great way to getting the attention of all the Valkyries in the area.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

That? That would be kickass. Don't bring him back as a major character, don't make a big deal about it, just...he's there.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'm not sure Valhalla is actually a working afterlife for humans in the movie-Avengers setting, but yes, I like the idea because it's funny.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Actually, it would be pretty funny if in Thor 2 there is some background scene set in Valhala and in amongst a crowd of Asgardian warriors there is a brief shot of Coulson there that only obsessive movie and comic book geeks would be able to catch. No explaination of how he got there, no comment on it, just a little Easter Egg for the fans.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

I recently went and saw a display of costumes and Props from The Avengers, as well as some other Marvel movies. Here's the pictures: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 4&t=155144
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Nice pictures, Hawkwings.

Speaking of, was anyone else disappointed with the look of Rogers' uniform? I thought it looked a lot better in Captain America (especially the helmet).
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

FSTargetDrone wrote:Speaking of, was anyone else disappointed with the look of Rogers' uniform? I thought it looked a lot better in Captain America (especially the helmet).
/raises hand

His Avengers costume looked like cheap, deep-fried ass to me. On the other hand, Thor looked a lot better simply because his hair didn't look so much like a wig. I preferred Black Widow's hair in Iron Man 2 though.

Do I surrender my man card now?
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

I just realized something.

Arnim Zola and SS-Hydra manage to make all sorts of ray guns pew pew shit within months of the Red Skull looting the Cosmic Cube/Tesseract from the Norwegian Monastery.

....Meanwhile, SHIELD (and it's precedessors) have had the CC/Tesseract since 1945, after Howard Stark fished it off the ocean floor.

So...where's the ray guns based off Nazi Technology equipping SHIELD's battalions of meatpuppets?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

MKSheppard wrote:
So...where's the ray guns based off Nazi Technology equipping SHIELD's battalions of meatpuppets?
They had it locked in a vault until the mid 2000s. And it's implied Stark never got past the whole "blow ourselves up if we poke it" phase. Remember the good Doctors finest work was achieving successful transfer of cube energy into the power packs which let him use unlimited power for all sorts of wasteful designs which work only because you have megawatts of power in a handgun clip.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

MKSheppard wrote:I just realized something.

Arnim Zola and SS-Hydra manage to make all sorts of ray guns pew pew shit within months of the Red Skull looting the Cosmic Cube/Tesseract from the Norwegian Monastery.

....Meanwhile, SHIELD (and it's precedessors) have had the CC/Tesseract since 1945, after Howard Stark fished it off the ocean floor.

It's called "Phase 2" and they have it in storage, but are breaking some components out.

Apparently, unlike the Nazis, SHIELD was not given the go-ahead to build ray guns as soon as they got their hands on the Cube. I'm not surprised by that. Remember what happened with Hydra: they betrayed the Germans and started fighting their own private wars. If you were part of the shadow civilian oversight committee for SHIELD... I don't know about you, but I'd be very reluctant to risk letting history repeat itself by giving SHIELD first dibs on ray guns and Cube-based WMD.

So they just get told to sit on the Cube, and it gets filed in the same warehouse with the Ark of the Covenant and whatever.

After weird shit starts coming in from outer space, suddenly developing all this stuff becomes much more urgent. Just as the Manhattan Project was in large part a reaction to a specific fear (German bomb), "Phase 2" might have been in large part a reaction to a specific fear (alien invasions we can't tackle with normal weapons because if Lieutenant Mike Wong says BALLS to the aliens with missiles, they will say BALLS right back and laser-vision his jet or whatever, then fold up our missiles and wear them like silly paper hats :( ).

Another possibility is that Hydra knew something fundamental about the cube that we don't, because they got it by translating some bizarre alien artifact or whatever, which CAPTAIN AMERICA subsequently crushed under his shield without realizing it. Before SHIELD could tap the cube's energies they had to, say... I dunno. Invent quantum electrodynamics? Make advances in chaos theory? Develop more precise instruments for X, Y, and Z?

Whatever, the practical upshot is that SHIELD needed a lot of time to catch up with Hydra's position before Hydra had the cube. Zola had all kinds of weird technology going before he even got the cube- the problem was the lack of a suitable power source.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Simon_Jester wrote:It's called "Phase 2" and they have it in storage, but are breaking some components out.
But what's Phase 1? Was this ever mentioned?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Mr Bean wrote:Remember the good Doctors finest work was achieving successful transfer of cube energy into the power packs which let him use unlimited power for all sorts of wasteful designs which work only because you have megawatts of power in a handgun clip.
I'm.....not seeing the problem here. Remember, SHIELD got Zola at the end of WWII, and would have undoubtedly pumped him for information before releasing him.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

MKSheppard wrote:
Again I'm going to say harnessing the energy period. The cube is useless without some way to harness the energy. I wonder if it was a simple as them trying to build big honking batteries to run off cube power so they could scale it down to something like Hydra had to begin weapon production.

Hey secret underground bases don't power themselves, why not run them off eldritch power from beyond the stars?
MKSheppard wrote:I'm.....not seeing the problem here. Remember, SHIELD got Zola at the end of WWII, and would have undoubtedly pumped him for information before releasing him.
Good point, I'm going to resist making an incredibly dark joke here and say I have no idea why if they good Doctor is not still alive why they don't have phase 1 weaponry unless Coulson is proof that Phase 1 weaponry was Hydra weaponry and the Destroyer gun was phase 2... did they ever mention a phase 3?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

MKSheppard wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:It's called "Phase 2" and they have it in storage, but are breaking some components out.
Phase 1 is cordite-based weaponry.

Phase 0 is pointy sticks.

That's my working idea.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I thought Phase 1 was the Avengers Initiative.

Like in the Ultimates where they first form the Ultimates out of the individual superheroes and then expand the roster with mass prdouced giant man and rocket men power suits and so on.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Crazedwraith wrote:I thought Phase 1 was the Avengers Initiative.

Like in the Ultimates where they first form the Ultimates out of the individual superheroes and then expand the roster with mass prdouced giant man and rocket men power suits and so on.
My impression was that Phase 1 was to study the Tesseract and possibly find ways to draw power from it for civilian use. Remember Fury talking at one point about how valuable a limitless power source would be to the world?

The Council was apparently content to just study the Tesseract and keep it a secret until Thor showed up. Asgardians fighting in the streets in a small New Mexico town convinced the Council that they needed a way to fight back against advanced alien threats. They authorized Phase 2, which was to weaponize the Tesseract, using Zola's designs as a starting point.

So they really hadn't been working on Tesseract weapons for very long. They had some basic schematics, but they hadn't rediscovered how to draw energy from the Tesseract, yet, so they didn't have any prototype weapons.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

My thought was Phase 1 was the work and study that the Red Skull, Zola, Hydra and Stark did. Obviously it wasn't new weapons as they still had the Hydra weapons ready to go.

The emergence of Hulk, Iron Man and Thor probably put the fear in SHIELD to get the Tesseract under control and supplying power for whatever.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

MKSheppard wrote:I just realized something.

Hydra also had a head-start in that Zola had apparently already come up with all kinds of crazy weapons that would work if he had such an energy source. Remember his quote upon first getting energy from the Tesseract: "this can power all of my designs!"

Presumably, he and Red Skull had already been searching for the Tesseract for years prior, and Zola was dreaming up uses for it in the meantime.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

That was not even a little funny. I want my minute back.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Captain America: "And Hulk... smash!"

It was only after the film that I realised that War Machine was absent- I guess they didn't want it to be too Iron-Man centric :?