Space marines and reproductive organs

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Tandrax218
Padawan Learner

Space marines and reproductive organs

Post by Tandrax218 »

The Emperor has balls as we know because he had sons with women= sensei.

The Marines have no balls cuz they are atroffied, but are they gone or just small?? I was wondering from where in the body do they get the hormone testosterone?? It does make u more aggresive and since this is the stuff that fuels Astartes , where does it come from??

Did the primarchs have balls???? Or sons??

And do Emperors children Chaos marines fornicate ???
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Re: Space marines and reproductive organs

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

The Emperor frowns on your use of His language.

There are other hormones in the body besides testosterone. To my knowledge Space Marine implantation processes have only specified that they rely on "young males", nothing more specific than that. Presumably after all the implants and biochemical fucking about with a prospective Astartes' body, the hormones that a Space Marine needs are regulated by the new implants.

The Emperor's Children 'fornicate' in the same way that soccer fans get 'moderately excited'. Slaanesh doesn't do things at anything less than 11.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Androgens are also produced by the Adrenal gland, though in smaller amounts. Either they have an 'implant' that makes or stores back up, or somehow makes the adrenals produce adequate amounts of the required hormone.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Now, this is my impression so I might be wrong. But IIRC from all the talk about fornication by the EC and from all the talk about space marine not being able to reproduce I don't think there has ever been any actual flat out statement that they are castrated or something similar. If you ask me, it's far more likely that with all the modifications done to their bodies and genome they simply become too far removed from human kind to produce viable offspring. So it's not that they can't have sex, they just can't have children. That and if their members have increased proportionally with the rest of their bodies there might be other more technical issues to having sex as well.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I am aware of no instance of space marines actually being said to be without such drives, and certainly no instance of them lacking the ability.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

There was an article in White Dwarf from around the end of 1st ed and the beginning of 2nd ed on the transformation of a recruit into a space marine. It mentioned in passing that the process of creating a marine left him sterile, no details as to what this meant, just that he would not be fathering any kids through normal biological functions. As to the exact WD, I'm not sure. I would have to delve into the stack to see if I could find the article again.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I don't think anyone with a position to make claims regarding even very loose 40K canon cares enough about whether or not Space Marines can have sex to comment one way or the other. Space Marines certainly cannot have children, and they're superhuman and unrelatable to humans enough to make any sort of romantic relationship unworkable. But whether or not they're physically capable of doing the deed? Or wanting to, or if the Emperor decided to eliminate a well-known weakness of male physiology, you can believe as you will.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Is there any evidence of any non-Chaos Marine exhibiting more than a vague, vestigial sex drive? Or actually having sex? I don't know of any.

If Slaaneshi Chaos Marines do it, but no other Marines do, then that may indicate that Slaanesh is doing something to/for his/her Space Marines, not that that's a standard feature of Astartes biology. It's not like the "rotting mass of disease" biology of Nurglite Plague Marines is standard-issue, after all.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Simon_Jester wrote:Is there any evidence of any non-Chaos Marine exhibiting more than a vague, vestigial sex drive? Or actually having sex? I don't know of any.
I'm no 40k scholar, but from memory and googling it appears the Space Wolves have a sex drive, and the Salamanders may or may not take wives.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Wolfblade, pg 136:
"You'd be suprised what a man will do if he's drunk enough or high enough on Fury."

"I would be very surprised of he chose to attack three of us."

"To be honest, I would too. It felt more planned than that, didn't it?"

"Yes." They passed a golden pleasure girl garbed only in diaphanous robes. She strode along as if she were not semi-naked. A whiff of pheremone attractants sailed on the air behind her and she was gone.

"What do you think?" Ragnar asked as Torin's eyes followed the girl.

"She's very attractive."

"I mean about the attackers."
JADAFETWA
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Ah. In the Space Wolf books I read, we saw only hints of a sex drive- Ragnar having vague feelings for... I think she was an inquisitor's apprentice. But nothing particularly strong. The sort of thing that might be more psychological than biological, which is why I called it "vestigial."

That's a bit more definite.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Simon_Jester wrote:Ah. In the Space Wolf books I read, we saw only hints of a sex drive- Ragnar having vague feelings for... I think she was an inquisitor's apprentice. But nothing particularly strong. The sort of thing that might be more psychological than biological, which is why I called it "vestigial."

That's a bit more definite.
Yeah it's a junior inquisitor Kara Isaan. If I remember right it also states that those feelings shouldn't be possible, but that Ragnar is a misfit in a lot of ways.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

It could that sex drive and the state of their reproductive organs could be something that varies from chapter to chapter (different geneseeds and traditions).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

While exceptions exist, most literature tends to lean towards Space Marines not even having a sex drive.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

As I recall there is a similar situation with the Spartan's of Halo. The "Fall of Reach" book specifically mentions that one of the upgrades greatly reduces sex drive. Perhaps something similar happens in Space Marines, especially as the process is even mroe invasive than the Spartan version.

That, combined with being trained to do nothing but fight and die for your whole life probably has an effect as well.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'm reminded of a story by David Langford, from the late 1970s I think (which was a great time for anti-war SF).

They didn't really have supersoldiers in there, they just had a training method in which they could kill you repeatedly and somehow bring you back. Some kind of mindstate recording plus cloning, something like that. The point being that the troops got totally inured to pain and dying after getting killed fifty or a hundred times in live-fire training.

One side effect was that by the time the protagonist had reached that point, his sex drive had basically vanished.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:I'm no 40k scholar, but from memory and googling it appears the Space Wolves have a sex drive, and the Salamanders may or may not take wives.
In Space Wolves Codex, Wolf Lord and his company find a planet of lovely ladies they decided to have a feast with, until discovering that their hosts "are not people at all". It was very vague, but it does suggest both... urges are still present.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

old stories the codex guys had special servent girls for that, the wolves and the EC are defiatly shown to have sex drives. I believe that the statement is that by the time the geneseeding is done the canidate is no longer the same species as us and can't have little ones. The old fluff says that there can't be female marines either.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Space Wolves are pretty divergent from normal Marines genetically- the process by which they get their modifications is a bit different, and the phenotype is different.

Heh. Maybe it's something unusual to the Wolves, on account of Russ just being the ballsiest of the primarchs?
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yes but even the blue boys used to have surgecly modified comfort women. peronally I thonk it's men of steel women of kleenex especially when guys can spit acid

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

On the other hand,steroids and the huge hormonal changes induced do suggest that their ability to get it on should be reduced.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner