"Once Upon a Time" Talkback (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Re: "Once Upon a Time" Talkback (Spoilers)

Post by Jaepheth »

FaxModem1 wrote:So, who is Henry's true love?
My guess would be it's most likely Emma.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Probably.

Even if she's not, the preview shows Emma's going to rip Regina limb from limb in any case.

I wonder if Henry getting cursed is finally going to get Regina to accept that she can't have her cake and eat it. She can either have her revenge or her adopted son, but not both of them.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

So, I've only seen up to the Hansel and Gretel episode, and I kind of like the concept, but I'm running into the problem that with the exception maybe of Emma, I like none of the supposedly good characters. At all. Henry just has the problem that he is being played by a child and is entirely too earnest and a little bit shrill, but of the rest, there are times when I flat out think they deserve what they got. OK, Cinderella, the price you have to pay for wealth, money power and love is a shitty one, but you made the deal. You made it knowing you would have to pay for it one day, and didn't once question what the price might actually be. When you didn't want to pay it you decided to imprison the guy you made a deal with. I don't know what Snow did to Regina yet, but it is clearly something pretty bad, and I find it very hard to dislike the evil queen when she is shown in the fairy tale land, even though Regina herself is a spiteful bitch. Charming is just dull at this point, but then that sort of character always is. I always worry about a show when I know the characters that seem the most interesting and likeable have to loose in the end.

Also, whoever came up with the idea of dressing up the witches like a glam rock band deserves a medal, because those costumes are great.
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Alkaloid wrote:.... I like none of the supposedly good characters. At all. Henry just has the problem that he is being played by a child and is entirely too earnest and a little bit shrill, but of the rest, there are times when I flat out think they deserve what they got. OK, Cinderella, the price you have to pay for wealth, money power and love is a shitty one, but you made the deal. You made it knowing you would have to pay for it one day, and didn't once question what the price might actually be. When you didn't want to pay it you decided to imprison the guy you made a deal with. I don't know what Snow did to Regina yet, but it is clearly something pretty bad, and I find it very hard to dislike the evil queen when she is shown in the fairy tale land, even though Regina herself is a spiteful bitch. ....
The worst thing is snow white saying cinderella is such an exemple... by marrying up. Ugh.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Well...that went well. Imagine if they hadn't gotten the renewal and that had been the end of the show.

But this leaves Emma and company in a very interesting position for next season.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

I wonder if they record alternate versions of the finale in case they don't get renewed.

Because I was thinking for sure that dropping the True Love potion into that well was going to bend space-time so that Baelfire's 'wormhole' came out there. I guess that shows that Rumpelstiltskin still loves power more than anything else?

It'll also be interesting to see if magic spreads throughout the entire world/universe or is still bounded by the town's borders.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Jaepheth wrote:I wonder if they record alternate versions of the finale in case they don't get renewed.
Probably.
Jaepheth wrote:Because I was thinking for sure that dropping the True Love potion into that well was going to bend space-time so that Baelfire's 'wormhole' came out there. I guess that shows that Rumpelstiltskin still loves power more than anything else?
That was my first thought too. And I feel sorry for Gold. He's got the love of his life back and the means to find his son and still choose power.
Jaepheth wrote:It'll also be interesting to see if magic spreads throughout the entire world/universe or is still bounded by the town's borders.
Yeah.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Here's a fun thought.

Regina's smug expression at the end was meant to convey that she expected to recover access to her abilities.

But...Gold made the Wish and could control how it was directed. It's very possible that Regina will find that Gold kept her cut off. And if everyone else with magical abilities regains them...well, she can't run, but she can't hide...
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

JME2 wrote:
That was my first thought too. And I feel sorry for Gold. He's got the love of his life back and the means to find his son and still choose power.
I tought he was going to use the magic to find Baelfire.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

JME2 wrote:Here's a fun thought.

Regina's smug expression at the end was meant to convey that she expected to recover access to her abilities.

But...Gold made the Wish and could control how it was directed. It's very possible that Regina will find that Gold kept her cut off. And if everyone else with magical abilities regains them...well, she can't run, but she can't hide...
Well, it's not a wishing well; the water just returns that which was lost. Also, I doubt the writers would go that route because I imagine Rumpelstiltskin is going to be gunning for Regina in the next season because of Belle, and having Regina defenseless wouldn't make for very good drama.

One other comment on the finale: Pulling a gun on the dragon = PRICELESS. (even if it didn't work)

It'll be interesting to see how interacting with this universe changes the character's perception of their own (if the writers cover it). If they do get back to their land will there be a demand for cars/trucks, computers, cell phones, air conditioning, etc?
Children of the Ancients
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Are they returning to their fantasy world, or are we just seeing magic come into our world?

I loved the intercutting between Emma and her father facing off against Maleficent. Though they had different styles at it.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Jaepheth wrote:Well, it's not a wishing well; the water just returns that which was lost. Also, I doubt the writers would go that route because I imagine Rumpelstiltskin is going to be gunning for Regina in the next season because of Belle, and having Regina defenseless wouldn't make for very good drama.
My mistake; I thought it was a wishing well.

I only bring it up because I can't imagine Gold giving Regina the means to re-power herself and become a threat again. If de-powered, it could force Regina into an enemy mine scenario with Emma and company. I doubt any of them would sit by while Gold enacts his plans.
Jaepheth wrote:It'll be interesting to see how interacting with this universe changes the character's perception of their own (if the writers cover it). If they do get back to their land will there be a demand for cars/trucks, computers, cell phones, air conditioning, etc?
Don't forget medical advances/tech. Yeah. I'm sure there are those like Pinocchio who would prefer to remain in our world rather than return to their homeland/original forms.
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

I've just started watching this show, and I'm up to episode 14 at the minute. Love it. I was hooked from the very first episode, and there hasn't been an episode I haven't liked. I think Mr Gold/Rumpel is my favourite character. I've always loved Faustian deal makers, and he does it brilliantly. And the Evil Queen? I want her wardrobe! Seriously, those outfits. Wow. I got over my phase of wearing black all the time, but if I had some of those outfits I'd probably go right back to it.

Do we ever find out who wrote the 'Once Upon A Time' book that Henry has? And does anyone at some point ask Mary where she got it from?
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I think we do. You'll meet the writer of the book a few episodes down the line.
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Finally caught up on all the episodes. Loved the finale. Random thoughts:

* Emma reviving Henry with true loves kiss was great, because it shows that true love doesn't have to be romantic.
* It looks like those with magic will get their magic back now. If Regina does, I have a horrible feeling she will at some point try to recast the Dark Curse. Which of course requires the heart of the one she loves the most. And what did she say to little Henry at the hospital when he woke up? And what was the name of the last person whose heart fuelled the Dark Curse? Yeah, wouldn't want to be in Henry's shoes come Season 2.
* If magic is back then Jefferson's hat will work again, which gives people a way back to their own world. Also, can I just say how amazing that damn hat is? Even with minimal magic powering it he was able to use it to reach through not just worlds, but time as well - he snatched that apple from the past. He could potentially use the hat to alter the past. If it had full magic, it might even be able to send a person through time.
* If magic is back, August should recover.

Oh, and
You'll meet the writer of the book a few episodes down the line.
I don't think we did. August didn't write the book, he just added his own story to it while he had his hands on it. From what he said, he completely skived off his mission and just had fun until the day that Emma arrives in Storybrooke. Then he starts turning back into wood, and it's only then he cares again about doing his job.

Someone else wrote that book. It might never come up, especially since the curse has been broken and I don't think the book will matter anymore. But still, I would have liked to know who wrote it and how Mary got her hands on it. It means that there was someone else who knew about the curse, and somehow knew everyones stories.
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Sorry, didn't know if I should make a new thread for this or post it here, so I just went with putting it here. It's the teaser trailer for season 2.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Hook, Hook, show us the hook.

While I considered him one of the weakest villain of the Disney animated movie. He can be done right.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I'm looking forward to seeing their take on Hook.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, has anyone been watching season 2?
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Yep>

It's definitely going in a direction that I didn't expect, but it's making it all the more interesting.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

It took a good turn.

Regina this last episode was just...yeah. I think she's really wanting to make a turn for the better now, try to get her son to really love her now that she no longer has to lie to everyone. Rumple/Gold will be something to fear - in season one he was just conniving and devious, but now...I don't think he has much to lose this time.

Though the next episode...will be something. Hook's triumphant appearance, apparently as a foil for Gold/Rumple
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

DarkSilver wrote:Rumple/Gold will be something to fear - in season one he was just conniving and devious, but now...I don't think he has much to lose this time.
I loved Gold's reaction when he realized he's trapped inside the town's borders like everyone else. That wasn't part of your master plan, was it? :twisted:

Cora is definitely going to be the wild card this season (and I love how they finally delved into what happened to her, something that's been bugging me since Regina's origin episode).
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I just want to show off the Season 2 cast photo.

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/secti ... 866751.jpg

So, it looks like David's training of Henry will continue, if this publicity shot is any indication.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Is it just me, or has Rumplestiltskin managed to garner A LOT of names in his time as The Dark One

He's now the Crocodile to Hook.

So Hook stayed in The Enchanted Forest with Cora...and they are both looking for a way to Storybrooke.

And now we also know who Doctor Whale is....
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Is Dr. Whale supposed to be Dr. Frankenstein?