GoT: S2 Clash of Kings ***SPOILERS***

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Re: GoT: S2 Clash of Kings ***SPOILERS***

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Vympel wrote:
Call me crazy, but i'd be willing to bet that they'll change the "3 deaths" plotline to make Aria seem like less of an idiot (Even if she did admit it in the book). (Tywin..)
You're crazy. Will never happen.
LOL.
You TOTALLY Misunderstood me :). I did NOT mean her saying Tywin's name.

I meant him leaving before she uses up the second name or some other plot reason, to avoid the whole part of her going "Oh rite, I wasted the deaths on the tickler and polliver and they didn't matter!!!". (Which would look pretty damn stupid onscreen).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Chirios
Jedi Knight

Post by Chirios »

Everyone else is important to the plot though. She literally cannot say the name of anyone that matters.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I think the easiest way to have her spend the second death-wish would be for someone more immediately threatening to show up. Perhaps they'll have her do it to save Gendry's life from someone who has realized that he's Robert's bastard, or someone threatening her.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

She might use it on Ser Amory Lorch. Him getting tossed in a bear pit when Roose Bolton takes Harrenhal is cool, but probably something they can skip.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

The Grim Squeaker wrote: I meant him leaving before she uses up the second name or some other plot reason, to avoid the whole part of her going "Oh rite, I wasted the deaths on the tickler and polliver and they didn't matter!!!". (Which would look pretty damn stupid onscreen).
Dude, the character is a fucking eight year old kid. She's not goddamn Machiavelli, so stupid mistakes are kind of expected.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Guardsman Bass wrote:I think the easiest way to have her spend the second death-wish would be for someone more immediately threatening to show up. Perhaps they'll have her do it to save Gendry's life from someone who has realized that he's Robert's bastard, or someone threatening her.
An obvious source would be coming into conflict with Polliver again over Needle.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Just let it play out like it does in the book. She's young and inexperienced at this whole revenge thing, and that inexperience and immaturity sets up some fairly important shit for her character later in the series.

Also, am I the only one here that wouldn't be at all surprised if they gave Joffery a mustache so he could twirl it and cackle evilly after chucking a puppy of at a cliff or something? I get it, he's an evil shit and Blondy Lannister should have drowned his little inbred ass at birth, but quit fucking beating me over the head with it.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

This being the spoiler thread, I'll venture a guess that it's an attempt to make what's coming to him not spoil Tyrion as a sympathetic character. Though from the sounds of it (I don't have HBO and will have to wait for the DVD release) they're going a little overboard.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Ultonius
Padawan Learner

Post by Ultonius »

Mr. Coffee wrote: Dude, the character is a fucking eight year old kid. She's not goddamn Machiavelli, so stupid mistakes are kind of expected.
I think she's been aged up two or three years for the show. However, it's also worth pointing out that in the books, although she does regret not saying Tywin's name to Jaqen, she never adds him to her list of desired deaths. The people on the list are those who personally hurt Arya, or were responsible for the deaths of Lady, Mycah and Ned, or were generally brutal and sadistic. She's not quite ruthless or cold-blooded enough (yet) to consciously plan to have a man assassinated or to pray for his death simply because he's an enemy of her family. The show also has Tywin treat her in quite an avuncular manner (at least, as avuncular as Tywin gets), which makes it believable that she would think of people who are directly nasty to her before him.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Vympel wrote:I didn't understand why they changed it so that Renly gets killed with his armor off. I was looking at his gorget everytime he wore it, thinking of how soon it would be pierced by the shadow.

EDIT: all in all, the entire scene was disappointing and didn't live up to one of the most memorable moments in Clash of Kings. The direction was, as westeros.org notes, mediocre in that scene - they made a good point in noting how obvious Renly's shadow is on the wall of the tent for a few seconds - as if they planned to have an effect there so it was like the book, but then they said something about Hurricane Irene ruining their plans. I dunno. Maybe that's the reason they went for the anti-climactic shadow just coming in and the audience watching it the whole time.
I thought Renly was wearing armor when the shadow thing killed him.
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

Elfdart wrote: I thought Renly was wearing armor when the shadow thing killed him.
He took off his breastplate and was only what looked like a buff coat/padded jerkin

Needs moar dakka
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I thought Renly was wearing armor when the shadow thing killed him.
Yeah further to the above, I was thinking specifically about his breastplate / gorget that he was wearing all the time, which Brienne takes off right before he dies. In the book, the shadow's "blade" pierces through it as if it wasn't there, emphasizing how supernatural it was (since no sword could ordinarily do that) - the scene is different in lots of ways, but a prime one is that he's killed when getting ready for battle in the book (Brienne is helping him put all his armor on rather than take it off), as opposed to getting ready to hit the sack.

But the main thing that disappointed me about the scene was that we saw the shadow come all the way in, it was pretty boring to look at.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Vympel wrote:
But the main thing that disappointed me about the scene was that we saw the shadow come all the way in, it was pretty boring to look at.
According to an interview the entire scene was actually changed at the last minute due to inclement weather and the kill was to be much more like the books with his shadow on the wall doing the kill not the smoke monster but the weather messed up the first effect they tried and they neglected to check how the armor itself would look with the backup effect and it did not look good so they had her taking off rather than putting on the armor.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Rogue 9 wrote:This being the spoiler thread, I'll venture a guess that it's an attempt to make what's coming to him not spoil Tyrion as a sympathetic character. Though from the sounds of it (I don't have HBO and will have to wait for the DVD release) they're going a little overboard.
Time constraints do appear to be impacting the showing of Tyrion's flaws, such as his tendency to talk too much when angry, and his not-so-healthy developments in his relationship with Shae.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

What he's wearing in that scene is metal armor:

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

You know I had seen that video ages ago and completely forgot about it - there's a word for that kind of armor but buggered if I know if I can remember it.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Vympel wrote:You know I had seen that video ages ago and completely forgot about it - there's a word for that kind of armor but buggered if I know if I can remember it.
It looks like the coat of plates (or brigandine):

It's not much different from the armor worn by the Starks, only the plates are sandwiched between pieces of velvet instead of leather.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Yeah that was the word I was grasping for, thanks.

That reminds me, I wish Robb Stark had cooler armor. As King In the North he should have the very best, instead its just normal House Stark armor with pauldrons and a gorget.

(Of course, the idea that the soldiers of each House would have a single uniform is pretty unlikely given the setting, but its a convenience for the TV show I enjoy)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

It's probably easier for the audience to tell them apart, as well as the costume/prop departments to churn out copies.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I am more surprised by the quality. It seems like everyone is kitted out fairly well, instead of just having some chainmail and a spear.
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

I personally like the Robb Stark armor seeing as it is consistent with the other northern lords armor

http://celluloidheroes.files.wordpress. ... 6/robb.png
http://pics.livejournal.com/wauwy/pic/0005k9g6/s640x480

He has a a similar set but a much fancier version of the standard breastplate that random schmucks would carry around the desert.
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Robb Stark'ss armour may have been as carefully chosen as Renly's. Robb is trying to present himself as King in the North, not king of the realm. Showing up in brightly coloured armour with ornate wolves dancing across the breastplate might seem like he fell into the trappings of a southern lord. Robbs crown was also the most simple.
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Vympel wrote:Yeah that was the word I was grasping for, thanks.

That reminds me, I wish Robb Stark had cooler armor. As King In the North he should have the very best, instead its just normal House Stark armor with pauldrons and a gorget.

(Of course, the idea that the soldiers of each House would have a single uniform is pretty unlikely given the setting, but its a convenience for the TV show I enjoy)
I think it's a Northern thing. Function over form y'know? His crown is the same way. There aren't any real decorative touches.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Well episode six is done and over and I felt this was a mostly meh episode with good scenes dragged down by pretty boring scenes.
The taking of Winterfell was a budget problem of tell not show because taking the castle in the dead of night with grappling hooks is told now shown
The entire section North of the wall was boring despite some good acting the payoff got edited out because no horses in Iceland
Camp Robb was boring except for the fact we got to see Roose again and name dropped the bastard of Bolton (Really looking forward to that)
Quarth was good scenes backed by boring I'd have over-looked if again we got something more interesting happening as again we are told not shown info dump after info dump.

But hey she lost her dragons (Book readers go WHAAAT?)

However
The boring chunks were balanced out by the awesome
The mob scene which had some issues (No kings guard dies, not mobby enough, lack of extras, the sillyness of the High Septum being torn limb from limbs) was balanced out by the Hound murdering his way to safety and the Sansa rescue. Also the King gets slapped by Tyrion making this an automatic good episode. I look forward to the looping gif of that slap.

Harrenhal we got lots of nice development about Tywin's father and more of the great Arya/Tywin scenes and we got the second name and we got the absolute shock hilarity of Amory Lorch death at Tywin's feet. This section made the entire episode for me even if on re-watches I'm going to be doing some fast forwarding.

The middle part of Winterfell was good, the taking was boring but the marching of Bran down to give the speech was great as was the death. The sex-escape was meh, it did it's job but there's no great lines to quote from there. Workman like, got in, explained things and ended. But the rest of the time was great in everyone reacting to Theon Turncloak and Bran asking if Theon hated the Starks. Not to mention the brutal execute scene.

So yeah mixed episode, great sections backed by just okay sections to mostly boring sections... and then it ends with stolen dragons and the fact that eight of Dany's guard all died with slitted throats and zero alarm given or fight had, okay did they send in Ninjas? Quarthy Ninjas?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

Does anyone know what that song was playing at the end credits?

Just love the imagery of the dragon thief carefully making his way up the steps toward a tower.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."