Trying to find a particular Star Trek fanfic

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

edaw1982
Padawan Learner

Trying to find a particular Star Trek fanfic

Post by edaw1982 »

Apologies if this has already been brought up, but I am trying to find a Fanfic series of Star Trek (TOS), done in a more serious "NBSG" style reboot.

Gary Sinese as McCoy, for example and Sulu was an NCO (because officers don't actually fly the ships in the real military), no transporters and I *think* they (atleast Starfleet) used ballistic weapons.

I was wondering if anyone knows where to find this series.
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Re: Trying to find a particular Star Trek fanfic

Post by B5B7 »

In real militaries it is usually officers who pilot the ships (or fly the planes).
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
edaw1982
Padawan Learner

Post by edaw1982 »

B5B7 wrote:In real militaries it is usually officers who pilot the ships (or fly the planes).
This doesn't help in the least.
Still, I'll reply back anywho.

Also, in the Navy (or atleast the New Zealand, Australian, and American ones..) the Captain/Commander/Whoever-is-on-duty-at-that-time gives the order to go somewhere, to the Officer of the Watch (Some Lieutenant Usually), who gives the order to the Helmsman who is an Enlisted sailor.
The order-conga is a safeguard so somebody doesn't mis-hear an order and whoopsie daisy.

Sure, in the Airforce the Officers pilot the planes, but that's because it's Airforce tradition (even though there used to be Pilot-Sergeants....), whereas in the Navy the tradition is officers are not supposed to pilot the ship (I'm sure they could if need be but just as a General is not supposed to galavant around playing Lieutenant...if they can still do it, good on them; but it tends to raise eyebrows at the very least (probably makes people antsy too).

Unrestricted Line Officers (the 'Yellow Shirts' to use the TOS parlance) are the ones who stand watch and give orders, being groomed eventually for Captaincy of their own (or at least Division Chief or maybe even Executive Officer if they make it even that far).

And, I don't know why that is. Probably so Officers can learn to Command properly rather than leading (which requires a different mentality altogether), but I'm sure someone with Navy experience can explain the whys and wherefores altogether
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"
aussiemuscle308
Padawan Learner

Post by aussiemuscle308 »

edaw1982 wrote:.. done in a more serious "NBSG" style reboot..
sounds interesting...
========================================
If you believe in Telekinesis, raise my hand.