Chuck keeps abreast of Ghost in the Shell

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Chuck keeps abreast of Ghost in the Shell

Post by VF5SS »

http://sfdebris.com/videos/animation/gh ... eshell.asp

Not his strongest review, but I do appreciate his honesty about not being really equipped for this subject. I liked his overall conclusion that the movie is "thin yet confusing." Kinda sums up the whole phenomenon surrounding it.

Although I'm not sure what we're supposed to get out of him reviewing the same 10 or so evergreen anime titles released in the west :v
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Re: Chuck keeps abreast of Ghost in the Shell

Post by Darksider »

I know he wanted to do animation, but I don't get why he accepted requests for all the anime. I mean he even admits it's not his area of expertise, so is there really anything he can add to the discussion which has been going on for like ten years at this point?

His area of expertise is primarily Star Trek, because that's what he's been reviewing the longest, followed by western Sci-fi. I don't see why anyone would request that he do anime at all.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
LauraY
Redshirt

Post by LauraY »

[Spambot oppressed] - Thanas
Last edited by Thanas on 2012-05-04 06:09am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Cleaned your link
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Darksider wrote:I know he wanted to do animation, but I don't get why he accepted requests for all the anime. I mean he even admits it's not his area of expertise, so is there really anything he can add to the discussion which has been going on for like ten years at this point?

His area of expertise is primarily Star Trek, because that's what he's been reviewing the longest, followed by western Sci-fi. I don't see why anyone would request that he do anime at all.
Actually, I quite liked his views on this and Cowboy Bebop, precisely because he's not an anime fan, and he's looking at it fresh. Perhaps that's been done to death elsewhere too, but if so, I've missed it. :)
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I suspected he choose the more popular (in the west) anime so that he'd have "explain" less and he could "discuss" more. I mean alot more people are familiar with Ghost in the Shell or Cowboy Bebop then some super rare anime which may or may not be better, not to mention those don't rely on the audience knowing the fine details of japanese culture like some other anime do.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Lord Revan wrote: not to mention those don't rely on the audience knowing the fine details of japanese culture like some other anime do.
Oh you'd think that. I dunno much about CB, but the GITS movie has always been kind of emptier without the context of when it was made and who made it. Its common sci-fi themes (and lewd titties) certainly give it broad appeal, but there's a deeper texture to it that needs some kind of research. All poor Chuck could do was be like "well the major ain't as sexy in the movie than the comics." :3

And that's not even commenting on Mamoru Oshii's love of basset hounds.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
edaw1982
Padawan Learner

Post by edaw1982 »

I always find the Major in the movie to be a bit bland. I suppose one could say she's lacking empathy/humanization due to being a cyborg since a severe injury as a child left her having to have a full-body replacement...but I tend to prefer the Major from the series.
She's a good blend, of the Manga and the Movie. That ice-cold professionalism from the movie, with the occasional smartarsedness of the manga, and she does have a particularly scathing wit.

I really do need to see that episode where Aramaki is a "Hostage", getting to see what a magnificent bastard he is sounds quite appealing.

I did like the fight versus the multipede tank, particularly the bullet effects. They showed realistically the bullets leaving gouges in the concrete instead of magical hollywood sparking...as nifty an effect for the pyrotechnics as that is...it's little touches like that that are good.
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

edaw1982 wrote:I did like the fight versus the multipede tank, particularly the bullet effects. They showed realistically the bullets leaving gouges in the concrete instead of magical hollywood sparking...as nifty an effect for the pyrotechnics as that is...it's little touches like that that are good.
Iso Mitsuo's talent and dedication in action.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
edaw1982
Padawan Learner

Post by edaw1982 »

Ford Prefect wrote:Iso Mitsuo's talent and dedication in action.
Truth. It's amazing that anime is better about those sorts of touches than Hollywood.
In Hollywood, a heavy cyborg like say, Alex Murphy is depicted with a heavy step and a slow pace....in Anime, Motoko and the rest of her heavily-auged comrades are depicted in their mass as leaving craters on roofs, the ground or anything they're landing on from a reasonable height.
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

In Hollywood, a heavy cyborg like say, Alex Murphy is depicted with a heavy step and a slow pace....in Anime, Motoko and the rest of her heavily-auged comrades are depicted in their mass as leaving craters on roofs, the ground or anything they're landing on from a reasonable height.
well in case of Robocop and C-3PO (yes a droid but a he's mostly human shaped and played by an actor in a suit), it's limitation of the suit as the joints are so stiff that actor isn't really capable of running or jumping normally (also special effects for impacts would cost) this is also the reason why the ironman suit in the recent films was mostly CGI with parts used in close ups.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

Can we all just agree that Stand Alone Complex is superior in practically every way?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Robocop was a Detroit car in human form, a prototype for police enforcement made in the 80s. Full body replacement cyborgs are post-human products of an entire industrial base of amazing robotics and designed for military use. Comparing them and assigning the differences to culture rather than universe seems dubious.

OCP couldn't replicate Robocop if they tried; full body replacements are mass produced consumer products. :v
edaw1982
Padawan Learner

Post by edaw1982 »

Stark wrote:Robocop was a Detroit car in human form, a prototype for police enforcement made in the 80s. Full body replacement cyborgs are post-human products of an entire industrial base of amazing robotics and designed for military use. Comparing them and assigning the differences to culture rather than universe seems dubious.

OCP couldn't replicate Robocop if they tried; full body replacements are mass produced consumer products. :v
A fairly substantial percentage of Meat-Murphey was replaced, the arms and legs...and I *think* the face was actually stapled onto the Robocop frame...I guess they wanted to 'Honour' the fallen officer in some way (probably a demand from the PR department or something) and it would explain why Robo had the 'Batman-jaw' thing going.