Chuck does Gargoyles

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Chuck does Gargoyles

Post by Zor »

Part 1
Part 2

Blip links posted because his sight is still wonky from the relaunch.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Chuck does Gargoyles

Post by FaxModem1 »

I own the first season and the first half of season two on DVD. I rather wish Disney had kept on releasing the series on DVD, but oh well.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I liked the way Chuck handled the review, I also found it funny that chuck muted or talked over all of Demona's lines until those 2 robo-gargoyles crashed so that we didn't hear her voice at all before that.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

'Clortho, Keymaster of Gozer' :lol:
I like that he looks into the writers and creators of the series too.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I am surprised at the low quality animation, I remember it much better.
Bright
Padawan Learner

Post by Bright »

You know, I actually think it would be a good idea to have one ongoing topic for Chuck, to be bumped whenever new discussion arises. Just saying.

Anyway, I'm surprised he's so (relatively) defensive about reviewing animation. Surely he doesn't have people giving him shit for it in the comments?
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I don't think so, but considering that he has a massive repertoire of bashing bad Star Trek (and other), I think he's trying to clean the air a bit. Truth is, Gargoyles is a pretty good show and he wants to find a good spot to point at its flaws and absurdities while trying to highlight the good bits about it.

That, and perhaps he feels a bit more uncomfortable about doing animation when he mostly did stuff for sci-fi shows?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

well then there's still the ruling idea that animation is "kids stuff" in the western world, so judging it would be "wrong".

a really bad way of thinking IMHO, since while kids will not understand all that adults do(or at least should), just distracting them with shiny lighting and loud noises while shielding them from the harsh realities of the world is doing them a disservice.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

spaceviking wrote:I am surprised at the low quality animation, I remember it much better.
Well they did not have the same tools that we do now. Even for traditional animation.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

spaceviking wrote:I am surprised at the low quality animation, I remember it much better.
It's called 'nostalgia'. It distorts perspective pretty effectively.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Stark wrote:It's called 'nostalgia'. It distorts perspective pretty effectively.
Man you should have seen the look on my face when I watch Macross again, after having not see it since I was a kid. It was a lot more cinematic and fluid in my memory lol
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Murazor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Murazor »

As a matter of fact, the Awakening five parter has far better animation than most of the rest of the series and, I think, it doesn't look too shabby even in comparison to some modern stuff. However:

1) The nostalgia filter is mighty as hell.
2) Avatar the Last Airbender and a number of more recent series with excellent animation have REALLY spoiled us.

I can barely bring myself to watch even a couple of minutes of He-Man, because it looks so damn bad in comparison to modern animation.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

And I'm sitting here wondering if you all are crazy. The animation was fluid and detailed with minimal stretch-and-shift and it still holds up as good hand drawn cell animation.

Is there better? Sure. But I think people are mistaking the crispness of computer-colored/shaded animation with a universal stamp of "Good". It allows them to spend more time checking for other errors, certainly, but to say it aged badly is just outright wrong, not when there's Flash-based animation on TV at least :twisted:

"Good" animation is fluid, detailed and consistent. That's about the main criteria there is. There's errors to look for in those areas, and Gargoyles suffers from them extremely rarely to non-existent. They do happen, but that's the price of TV animation in general. And from what I've seen (I re-watched the series recently), their use of non-amation/limited animation was minimal, compared to say . . . He-Man. And that animation wasn't so good to begin with due to its overall stiffness/rigidity. That was bad even at the time compared to something like Jonny Quest which, while it might LOOK stiff, worked around it and made it work.

That said, some modern stuff really does out class it: Korra is amazingly detailed to the point where it's High end OVA quality. The characters rarely stop moving and remain consistent!

Sorry, I practiced animation for several summers back in high school--even worked on some HBO kids shorts the teachers were commissioned (Yup, free student labor). So, yeah, I rather not knock old animation just for being 'old' and cell shaded rather than Computer shaded.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I guess I should clarify, I do not think it looks bad. Just that in my memory they were far and above normal animation.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Murazor wrote:
As a matter of fact, the Awakening five parter has far better animation than most of the rest of the series and, I think, it doesn't look too shabby even in comparison to some modern stuff. However:

1) The nostalgia filter is mighty as hell.
2) Avatar the Last Airbender and a number of more recent series with excellent animation have REALLY spoiled us.

I can barely bring myself to watch even a couple of minutes of He-Man, because it looks so damn bad in comparison to modern animation.
It depended upon which studios animated which episodes. Like Batman: TAS, Gargoyles' animation was farmed out to about four or five different outfits. Some were better than others. But that's why the quality through the series run varies as wildly as it does.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

FaxModem1 wrote:I own the first season and the first half of season two on DVD. I rather wish Disney had kept on releasing the series on DVD, but oh well.
They won't, in part, because there seems to be a certain element amongst the Disney executive leadership that want to see this series buried. Back in 1991, they wanted yet another, typical kiddie show involving gargoyles. Instead, Greg Weisman delivered a series that was mythic, engaging, multilayered, which touched upon history just a little, and appealed to intellects and tastes of viewers of all ages. And Disney never forgave Weisman for it. Ever since then, they've been very lacklustre about promoting the series, in syndicating it, and hardly promoted the DVD releases at all. And then they used the "poor sales" argument to not release the remainder of season two. If it ever shows up on the Disney XD channel, it's always late at night, one or maybe two nights in the week, airing in the most inconvenient of timeslots, and mixed with that truly awful Gargoyles: The Goliath Chronicles sequel series that ran on Saturday mornings in 1997. Other than that, Disney doesn't even seem to acknowledge that the series ever existed at all. But they'll air Phineas And Ferb until your eyes and ears bleed from it.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Majin Gojira wrote:And I'm sitting here wondering if you all are crazy. The animation was fluid and detailed with minimal stretch-and-shift and it still holds up as good hand drawn cell animation.

Is there better? Sure. But I think people are mistaking the crispness of computer-colored/shaded animation with a universal stamp of "Good". It allows them to spend more time checking for other errors, certainly, but to say it aged badly is just outright wrong, not when there's Flash-based animation on TV at least :twisted:

"Good" animation is fluid, detailed and consistent. That's about the main criteria there is. There's errors to look for in those areas, and Gargoyles suffers from them extremely rarely to non-existent. They do happen, but that's the price of TV animation in general. And from what I've seen (I re-watched the series recently), their use of non-amation/limited animation was minimal, compared to say . . . He-Man. And that animation wasn't so good to begin with due to its overall stiffness/rigidity. That was bad even at the time compared to something like Jonny Quest which, while it might LOOK stiff, worked around it and made it work.

That said, some modern stuff really does out class it: Korra is amazingly detailed to the point where it's High end OVA quality. The characters rarely stop moving and remain consistent!

Sorry, I practiced animation for several summers back in high school--even worked on some HBO kids shorts the teachers were commissioned (Yup, free student labor). So, yeah, I rather not knock old animation just for being 'old' and cell shaded rather than Computer shaded.
Nostalgia is a funny thing, when I rewatch some old Batman:TAS clips the animations seems "bad" compared to what I remember as back when I was watching it as a kid my mind "filled in the blanks" so to speak, so that it seems alot better in my memories then it actually was.

that's not to say that gargoyles wasn't generally fairly good in terms of animations quality (there were some episodes that weren't as good and others that were better then the averge).

I used batman:TAS as an example as I never saw Gargoyles when it first aired (it either never aired here or I just missed it back then), so I don't have nostalgia for gargoyles (having seen it first as an adult).

hell it doesn't even that to be animated to have that effect, alot of the early TNG effects seems really poor now, as you compared to modern effects (even models effects not just CGI), but they're pretty decent, especially for the time, when viewed objectivly.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Sorry, but I'm flashing back to a college animation course where, after giving a presentation on stop motion for the class "history of animation" project where, after displaying some clips from The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms I got "asked the question" at the end of it of:

"It looks like clay."

This was so ignorant that it left me flabbergasted for a moment.

We get used to improved animation and special effects, no question, but to call them bad for lack of improvements made with later technology is outside context as far as I'm concerned. Nostalgia filters can fill in a lot, but still, the amount of people commenting on this is disconcerting.
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Lord Revan wrote:hell it doesn't even that to be animated to have that effect, alot of the early TNG effects seems really poor now, as you compared to modern effects (even models effects not just CGI), but they're pretty decent, especially for the time, when viewed objectivly.
Yeah; the original Star Wars films are no different, even if most of the effects still hold up pretty well.

I think Majin is right, that we've spoiled by recent animated shows. Digital inking and timing, CGI enhancement, and other advances have allowed so much more to be done with traditional animation. A show like Avatar or the new ThunderCats wouldn't have been possible in the 1990's. Even I have a hard time watching/comparing the early, cel-animation of BTAS to the ambitious set pieces of late JLU.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Majin, I just realized when seeing his name on the end credits for the Burke and Hare movie with Serkis and Peggi, that Harryhousen is still alive, I looked stuff up and found out that he's producing remakes of his Sinbad series. My Tomb Kings are literially DEADicated to his work...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Patrick Degan wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:I own the first season and the first half of season two on DVD. I rather wish Disney had kept on releasing the series on DVD, but oh well.
They won't, in part, because there seems to be a certain element amongst the Disney executive leadership that want to see this series buried. Back in 1991, they wanted yet another, typical kiddie show involving gargoyles. Instead, Greg Weisman delivered a series that was mythic, engaging, multilayered, which touched upon history just a little, and appealed to intellects and tastes of viewers of all ages. And Disney never forgave Weisman for it. Ever since then, they've been very lacklustre about promoting the series, in syndicating it, and hardly promoted the DVD releases at all. And then they used the "poor sales" argument to not release the remainder of season two. If it ever shows up on the Disney XD channel, it's always late at night, one or maybe two nights in the week, airing in the most inconvenient of timeslots, and mixed with that truly awful Gargoyles: The Goliath Chronicles sequel series that ran on Saturday mornings in 1997. Other than that, Disney doesn't even seem to acknowledge that the series ever existed at all. But they'll air Phineas And Ferb until your eyes and ears bleed from it.
I think, if anything, the issue is that Disney has developed a successful formula with comedies, and Gargoyles, being a drama, doesn't fit with the rest of what Disney is showing. Phineas and Ferb shows that they're willing to market shows with crossmarket levels of appeal, but all their afternoon and evening shows are comedies. It's a shame, but I don't think that there's any sort of malice here so much as a belief that Disney can't market dramas successfully that becomes self-fulfilling.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

JME2 wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:hell it doesn't even that to be animated to have that effect, alot of the early TNG effects seems really poor now, as you compared to modern effects (even models effects not just CGI), but they're pretty decent, especially for the time, when viewed objectivly.
Yeah; the original Star Wars films are no different, even if most of the effects still hold up pretty well.
yeah I know, I used TNG since as a TV series it was closer to the subject at hand (Star Wars(aka ANH) went over budget and needed more time to be finished something that's just not possible with TV series in general.)
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Unless your name is James Cameron, you can't do that.

He did it for the season 2/series finale for Dark Angel.

Sorry, I just had to mention possibly the only time that has ever happened.
Browncoat

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Chuck has since done reviews for Long Way to Morning and the Mirror. And is intending to do just one more Gargoyles review.

I caught a few episodes of the show way back when, I actually recognized the mirror belatedly as one where all the humans in the city turn into Gargoyles and the Gargoyles all turn into humans.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Ahriman238 wrote:I actually recognized the mirror belatedly as one where all the humans in the city turn into Gargoyles and the Gargoyles all turn into humans.
"Do you say, that human or that human? Oh, never mind, I'll figure it out. This just might be fun after all."

One of my favorites and a key episode in the overall mythology.